What top ranked poli sci programs have masters programs?

Does anyone know off the top of their head? I am not set on going into academia, so I am thinking of applying to both PhD and Masters programs in the next few months and was just wondering what schools have "stand alone" masters programs that are worth looking into? I know that you earn a masters during the course of your PhD work, but I am also interested in programs with just the masters that might take just a year or so to complete. I know MIT does, but beyond that I am unsure. Thanks!

You can figure this one out on your own. If you can't, then your independent research skills suggest that a PhD isn't for you.

Definitely offsetting the -1 on the post you had... because I definitely agree.

Check out the Poli Sci subform. There's a thread near the top about best Poli Sci programs, and there will be some discussion of MA/MPA stuff. Generally, I would look at SAIS (Johns Hopkins), Georgetown, Tufts, Harvard, Columbia, UChicago, WW (Princeton)... there are just too many to list.

Edited by balderdash

Just to point out that an MA in political science is not the same as an MPA or another public affairs/policy masters. Terminal MAs in political science require the same coursework, thesis, and/or comps as the PhD; they just don't come with funding. Lots of places have them, few will admit candidates who apply just for the terminal MA. Why would you do that when you could apply to the PhD, be funded, and leave after 2-3 years?

Definitely offsetting the -1 on the post you had... because I definitely agree.

Check out the Poli Sci subform. There's a thread near the top about best Poli Sci programs, and there will be some discussion of MA/MPA stuff. Generally, I would look at SAIS (Johns Hopkins), Georgetown, Tufts, Harvard, Columbia, UChicago, WW (Princeton)... there are just too many to list.

Just to point out that an MA in political science is not the same as an MPA or another public affairs/policy masters. Terminal MAs in political science require the same coursework, thesis, and/or comps as the PhD; they just don't come with funding. Lots of places have them, few will admit candidates who apply just for the terminal MA. Why would you do that when you could apply to the PhD, be funded, and leave after 2-3 years?

Hello Penelope,

I am going to go to a state school in the US northeast right now for my undergrad in history and political science. I am going to go back to the same school for my masters. For me, I can do it in 1 year. I am able to do this because the school is allowing me to take some masters classes during this last year of my undergrad and sense I have enough credits to graduate as of January, I am one semester ahead. Plus, the masters at my school is only 10 classes, I can do a thesis if I wish, plus I feel I need a little more preparation before I make the jump to PHD work. Plus I can make sure this is what I want to do before I leave an 80k job to do it.