2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

On 4/21/2023 at 4:15 PM, speech101777777 said:

Hi! I was wondering if you know anything about transferring between audiology/speech going into second year, as the first year courses are the same. If I was accepted as an audiology student could I transfer my credits to speech the next year if accepted? 

Hello, so I have heard it is technically possible! But not easy. I haven't heard anyone in the last few years do it.

So first semester, all the classes are the same, but second semester 4 out of 5 are the same. I am not sure how that would affect trying to make the switch after the first year.

At the start of the school year I would recommend talking to a professor, perhaps Janet or the director of the program Dr. Kiefte. You can either speak to them directly or have one of your class reps or presidents ask as well if you'd like to remain anonymous. I would like to note though, every instance of this I have heard from the faculty, it's always someone from Speech wanting to transfer to Audio ahaha. 

But all in all, I dont think transferring is a 100% sure thing from my understanding but still a possibility and although not all too often, has been done. 

On 4/21/2023 at 7:14 PM, NatalieSLP said:

Hello! I completed the CDA program at Georgian in 2021! Some girls in the class took 2-3 courses over the course of the year so that they could apply to SLP schools for the following year. I chose to take a year off after completing the program to complete 2 extra courses needed as prerequisites, and work as a CDA. I found this was much easier for me since the CDA program is full-time. If you don't want to take an extra year, I would suggest completing the courses during your placement semester (January-April) since there is no course work that needs to be completed at this. Placement is typically Monday-Friday 37.5 hours each week, and usually fall within normal work hours (unless you are at a private clinic, which may require working evenings). 

Best of luck to you! I can answer any other questions you might have about the CDA program :) 

Thank you! appreciate your response :) 

Hi! Did anyone apply to McMaster with the Black Equity stream that I can talk to? Also did anyone apply to Western's PhD/MCISc combined program? Lastly, does anyone have tips for McMaster's MMI? I'm applying for 2024 entry and would really appreciate talking to people with experience!

Does anyone who has accepted their offer to UofT know if the class is full? I am assuming it is. The facebook group has 28 members. I emailed student affairs to ask last week and got no response, not even a "we are unable to provide this information". 

4 hours ago, MarySLP said:

I got a physiology course as a prereq from Athabasca but now I don't have time to finish it!!! Is it too bad if I withdraw and get it again later?????? :( 

If you are worried about getting a W on your transcript you can apply for the two month extension up to three times which would give you an additional 6 months to finish the course.  

Hello! Would it be typical to be placed on a waitlist until all prerequisite courses are completed, or is it still possible to be accepted into the program with outstanding prerequisites?

Edited by KatieSLP

8 hours ago, KatieSLP said:

Hello! Would it be typical to be placed on a waitlist until all prerequisite courses are completed, or is it still possible to be accepted into the program with outstanding prerequisites?

Most offers are conditional. I have one prereq course to complete. Still got an offer. 

1 hour ago, flyforyourlife said:

Hey all! Just got an offer from Dalhousie so some of you may hear today! I will not be accepting since I have chosen Western so it should free up a spot :) 

Congrats and thanks for the update! I have been refreshing my email all morning, lol! In the email, did it mention when you would have needed to accept by?

I received my waitlist offer from Dal this morning. Does anyone know if it’s possible to find out where you are on the waitlist/how many people usually get waitlisted? Thanks in advance:)

edit: I just read in the email that “there is no particular order in which your application appears on our waiting list”. Im guessing that means I can’t find out? I’m maybe wondering then how often people are usually taken off the waitlist. 

Edited by speechiegal

On 4/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, capycashew said:

Hello! I just got moved off the McGill waitlist and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness. Happy crying for a solid 15 minutes here.

Anyone know if there's any group chats or Facebook groups started for McGill? I'm really looking forward to meeting others in the program.

Best of luck everyone!

What was the date they gave you to decide by? 

On 4/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, capycashew said:

Hello! I just got moved off the McGill waitlist and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness. Happy crying for a solid 15 minutes here.

Anyone know if there's any group chats or Facebook groups started for McGill? I'm really looking forward to meeting others in the program.

Best of luck everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/555951483271956/

Here's the McGill group :)

Curious for what people are planning are that did not receive an acceptance - recommendations for boosting GPA, getting work experience, etc. I know this has been asked previously, but now that now that the dust has seemed to settle a bit, wondering if anyone else would like to chime in. 

Hi everyone, 

I decided that I wanted to pursue SLP quite late after having a bit of a career crisis in January. I have about 15 classes left to take in my degree (I'm in my third year) so making sure my sGPA is one of my priorities (aiming for a 3.85 or above). I'm a volunteer with the Aphasia Institute and After Stroke BC. I'm also a research assistant at a human sexuality lab at my university (only have one publication though), as well as being employed by the university as an international student peer mentor. Since I've basically just decided to pursue SLP this year, the only volunteering I have is in the two positions I just mentioned. My first and second year was really tough as I dealt with the passing of two family members, as well as my parent's divorce, and me often being super sick due to stress (along with a few other things - so safe to say my mental health was kind of in the garbage (lol)). I mention this because the first two years of my transcript are filled with W's and a handful of repeated classes. I'm scared that my overall transcript, along with my lack of (more) volunteer experience will completely write me off from getting into any of the schools I'm going to apply to (Dal, Mac, UofT, UofA, Western). My cGPA is a 3.6/4.33 (really low, I know). I have 2 different SLPs who have agreed to let me shadow them as well.

Does anyone have any advice? Ways to enhance my application? Should I be super worried about the 6 W's on my transcript? One of the pre-req's (stats) I've repeated 3 times due to extenuating circumstances (but got an A+) on my final try. Any advice is really really appreciated. Feel free to be super critical, I can handle it LOL. Thank you all in advance, and best of luck during the final stages of application!!!☺️

Edited by SLPinBC