2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

Just now, RDHtoSLP96 said:

do we know when they have until to send notifications of any sorts? and any idea how many have been accepted so far?

I emailed yesterday to ask, but haven't heard anything back! I have no idea how many have been accepted...I haven't seen a FB group for the McGill class yet. The waiting is so awful! 

21 hours ago, flwlss said:

Hey! I'm also from Ontario and I got accepted to Dal. Would you be willing to answer a few questions about the program and relocating process?

Hi, congratulations. Can I ask when did you hear from Dal?

Edited by MarySLP

20 hours ago, SLP71 said:

I also just got an email that I was waitlisted at McGill! Does anyone know how many seats the program has? I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find any info.

There's 30 spots in the cohort. :)

26 minutes ago, Elizabethklim said:

Is anyone else by chance waiting for UBC to respond? Haven't heard anything from them at all :(

Still waiting also, haven't heard anything. I have been assuming that means bad news but who knows (trying not to give up hope yet). Sounds like those who were admitted on here need to accept by April 15th. So maybe we will find out after. 

Hi all! I was able to get in touch with Janet at Western and she said I am able to schedule a tour with her to view graduate buildings, the speech and hearing clinic, and to ask questions!! Thought I'd hop on and let others know if it interests anyone :)

Hey all,

I just found this thread a few days ago. I applied to McGill and the other day I got an email back about being waitlisted. Another email that confirmed it today.

It seems like a few other people here are in the same boat and also don't know what position "in line" they're in.

If anyone hears anything lmk please!!

5 hours ago, maddieee said:

Still waiting also, haven't heard anything. I have been assuming that means bad news but who knows (trying not to give up hope yet). Sounds like those who were admitted on here need to accept by April 15th. So maybe we will find out after. 

Hey! I heard from Winnie (Grad Students program manager) that the class list won't be finalized until June! I'm assuming this is for people that will decline, and potentially people who do not meet the conditions set out in their acceptances. Best of luck to everyone!! ❤️ 

5 hours ago, flyforyourlife said:

Hi all! I was able to get in touch with Janet at Western and she said I am able to schedule a tour with her to view graduate buildings, the speech and hearing clinic, and to ask questions!! Thought I'd hop on and let others know if it interests anyone :)

This is so nice! Thank you for sharing :) 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, sydneyhopesforslp said:

Knowing my gpa is the weakest part of my application I was wondering if anyone has advice on where I should take courses to boost my gpa as a non-graduate student (Graduated from Queen's University this year). So far, I was thinking of UofT since most of my friends live there right now, but I would move anywhere if I knew it would increase my chances of getting in next year. 

It really depends on how many courses you need to take to really boost your subGPA. If it's only a few, UofA has a couple of online half-credit courses in Communication Sciences and Disorders which I think would also give you some extra background in the field and would look good on a transcript. They're very expensive though (if I'm not mistaken I paid $1200 each a few years ago)

But if you need a lot of courses, I'd seriously consider what @ElsaNotFrozen said in the previous page. It will be worth it in the long run. I wish I did that back then, I spent years improving my subGPA because I needed to kick a lot of courses out of my subGPA calculation!

I'm not sure I'd take courses at UofT, their standards are pretty high and you might not be able to improve your GPA as much as you could elsewhere

13 minutes ago, speechbean said:

Does anyone know McGill’s usual response time for emails? I asked about my waitlist position and have gotten no response back.

Should I call? Has anyone else asked?? 

Please let me know if she tells you! When i confirmed my position I got a reply right away

1 hour ago, kits123 said:

I just got of the U of A waitlist, I didn't realize they would be contacting us before the acceptance deadline! :) 

Congrats!! Will you be accepting UofA? And did it come as an email or was it updated in the portal?

Hello!

I received an offer off the waitlist for UofA, I am thrilled! Is there a groupchat started? I am also wondering if there are any recent SLP graduates from UofA or current students that I could ask a few questions to?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, here are some Dal admission updates: 

22 seats have been confirmed. I am not confident in the number of total seats, I think it's around 37 or 38 for SLP and audiology together. There are 10 people who have been offered admission but have not responded though, the deadline to do so is tomorrow. Janet will likely be sending out another round of offers next week. 

There is still hope! And just to repeat some advice I recommended earlier: in the meantime, stay busy, spend time with friends and family, enjoy your hobbies, foster the side of you outside of these applications because you are wayyyy more than what these universities decide ;) 

4 hours ago, 2nd year Dal Student said:

Hi everyone, here are some Dal admission updates: 

22 seats have been confirmed. I am not confident in the number of total seats, I think it's around 37 or 38 for SLP and audiology together. There are 10 people who have been offered admission but have not responded though, the deadline to do so is tomorrow. Janet will likely be sending out another round of offers next week. 

There is still hope! And just to repeat some advice I recommended earlier: in the meantime, stay busy, spend time with friends and family, enjoy your hobbies, foster the side of you outside of these applications because you are wayyyy more than what these universities decide ;) 

Thank you so much for the update. I really appreciated it the waiting is killing me.