PSYD programs with mediocre GPA

AlexJefferey

Hey Guys!

I'm having some difficulty finding a PSYD program that matches my needs. Currently, my only real option is Nova Southeastern University. I get the program is super expensive and that the reputation isn't the best, but I don't think many other programs will accept me. My undergrad GPA was a 3.096 but it trended downward after I transferred to LSU (it went from like a 3.4 to a high 2). Additionally, my undergrad is in marketing, so ideally it would be a program that waives psychology requirements with a high enough Psych GRE score, like Nova Southeastern. This isn't necessary though. Currently I'm studying for the regular GRE and should score above a 310.. So my question is do you guys have any program recommendations?? I really want to practice Psychology and will literally apply to anywhere that is APA accredited. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

A few thoughts: given your lower undergrad GPA, I would maybe consider a master's program to show that you can excel at graduate level work. A high master's level GPA can counterbalance the low undergrad GPA. Most PsyDs require a minimum 3.5 GPA. Additionally, what is that you want to do as a day to day? Depending on your goals, you may be able to achieve them with a master's level licensure, such as a mental health counselor or clincial social worker. "Practicing psychology" is a relatively vague term, as there are myriads of ways people can practice psychology, including being academics with no clinical responsibilities.