How competitive of an applicant am I? (155V, 153Q, 6.0W; 2 years research exp.; no pubs, 2-3 papers in submission)

mrguydudetheman

Hello everyone,

You were all very helpful on my other thread, so I decided to post here again. 

I wish to know how good (or bad) of an applicant I am so that I know what schools to apply to. 

Other than what is in the title, I have the following:

• 3 Great letters of recommendation (2 academic, 1 from an unrelated business profession).
  • A master's thesis (in progress, I am counting it as my 3rd paper for the time being lol) .
  • A good (or at least decent) fit in all programs I am applying to.
  • MS GPA of 3.93
  • BA GPA of 3.00

I am applying to the following schools (with acceptance rates included):

• Auburn University (5.38%)
  • University at Albany/State Uni. of New York (3.56%)
  • Clark University (2.94%)
  • Long Island University (6.25%)
  • Hofstra University (6.02%)
  • U. Minnesota (5.47%)
  • Pacific University (11.03%)
  • University of Oregon (5.36%)
  • Rowan University (9.60%)
  • St. John's University (3.29%)
  • Suffolk University (1.47%)
  • Duquesne University (4.70%)

Thank you! :)

Edited by redder144
i forgot GPA lol

I would say you are slightly above average. Depends on what program you are applying, acceptance rate for doctoral is always low, mainly if they are funded. If you are going to a competitive program, that has like >100 applicants, your stats profile might contribute in cutting down number of applicants. What tells the most is your FIT. Is your research area fitting the deparment overall or some professor' study? 

Start contacting current students and professors to see your match. Most applications are holistic, meaning they will look at all components. Good luck!

I hope "slightly above average" is a good place to be!

I appreciate the feedback!

@Rerun If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by "your stats profile might contribute in cutting down number of applicants"? Pretty much all of the programs I am applying to have over 100 applicants each year. However, I am only applying to schools with which I have a good (or decent) fit with specific professors, so hopefully this will help.

I have been contacting professors, but have been getting a mixture of slightly warm to obviously copy-pasted responses lol. Still, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Edited by redder144
fixed my response