Master's in UK and PhD in Clinical/Counselling Psychology in US?

darkbluecolors

Hi, I am an international applicant (Southeast Asia) with a BA in Business Administration currently trying to swicth field to become a Clinical/Counselling Psychologist. My original goal is to obtain a PhD in Clinical/Counselling Psychology and open a private practice. I was going to apply for a Master's in Mental Health Counseling in the US to obtain further clinical training and research experience to be qualified for PhD, however, the tuitation fee and cost of living is so high that I'm not sure if it will be worth the investment. So now I am looking at an alternative route, get a 1-year MSc Psychological Sciences from UK (Qualified for British Psychology Society), which focus solely on coursework with dissertation, and apply for PhD in the US after that. 

Do you think that this would be possible? Or are there any recommendation on other financially efficient route I should take to be able to qualify for a PhD in clinical psychology as an international non-field applicant?

Here are my additional info:

• BA in Business Administration GPA 3.48
  • Currently pursuing Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at a local university
  • Research opportunity in my country is very limited and usually reserved for those who are already in the field

Thank you so much for reading.

Edited by darkbluecolors

• darkbluecolors changed the title to Master's in UK and PhD in Clinical/Counselling Psychology in US?
On 10/8/2022 at 7:16 AM, darkbluecolors said:

Hi, I am an international applicant (Southeast Asia) with a BA in Business Administration currently trying to swicth field to become a Clinical/Counselling Psychologist. My original goal is to obtain a PhD in Clinical/Counselling Psychology and open a private practice. I was going to apply for a Master's in Mental Health Counseling in the US to obtain further clinical training and research experience to be qualified for PhD, however, the tuitation fee and cost of living is so high that I'm not sure if it will be worth the investment. So now I am looking at an alternative route, get a 1-year MSc Psychological Sciences from UK (Qualified for British Psychology Society), which focus solely on coursework with dissertation, and apply for PhD in the US after that. 

Do you think that this would be possible? Or are there any recommendation on other financially efficient route I should take to be able to qualify for a PhD in clinical psychology as an international non-field applicant?

Here are my additional info:

• BA in Business Administration GPA 3.48
  • Currently pursuing Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy at a local university
  • Research opportunity in my country is very limited and usually reserved for those who are already in the field

Thank you so much for reading.

Hi! 

I’m absolutely no expert, but honestly I think you’re going to have an extremely hard time getting into any programs without a undergrad in psych in counselling or clinical, as they are BEYOND competitive. 

Even in the UK, a friend and I both applied for these exact 1 year masters programs you are speaking about as international students from Canada. 

I had a 4.0 GPA in psychology, a publication and heaps of research experience including lab coordinator positions and got in. 

However my friend who also did the same undergrad as me, also with a 4.0 GPA, an undergraduate thesis and 3 RA positions did not get in. 

I’m not telling you this to burst your bubble, I just would have loved someone be realistic with me when I was applying because these programs are ridiculously hard to get into. 

I feel sorry for you, but honestly don’t even know what to suggest other than going back and getting a bachelors of psychology and gaining research experience. 

(I’m still trying to get into a counselling, clinical or social work degree in canada, this is my third application cycle with all of the above experience).