MILA Supervision Requests 2023

subzerok

Hello everyone, I am planning to apply MILA Research Master program together with Universite de Montreal and I thought we can discuss related topics under this thread. I want to start the discussion with couple of questions & concerns considering admissions process.

Profile: Computer Engineering student in Turkey, 3.52 /4.0 cGPA. Research experiences at University of Edinburgh (UK), University College London (UK) and KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden) + Industrial Experience, 2 times ICPC European Regional Finals in addition to various 1st place in algorithm contests. AI related graduate courses during Bachelor's.

1. My biggest concern is having no paper published yet although we are trying hard to publish a workshop paper out of my studies in internship. Do you think it is a red-flag reason for research labs?

Let me share an observation lastly. I study Deep Generative Models, Representation Learning and Optimization. After an extensive search for supervisors studying these fields at MILA, I realized they have very few Master students. Obviously this makes admission process much more competitive.

Edited by subzerok

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, subzerok said:

Hello everyone, I am planning to apply MILA Research Master program together with Universite de Montreal and I thought we can discuss related topics under this thread. I want to start the discussion with couple of questions & concerns considering admissions process.

Profile: Computer Engineering student in Turkey, 3.52 /4.0 cGPA. Research experiences at University of Edinburgh (UK), University College London (UK) and KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden) + Industrial Experience, 2 times ICPC European Regional Finals in addition to various 1st place in algorithm contests. AI related graduate courses during Bachelor's.

1. My biggest concern is having no paper published yet although we are trying hard to publish a workshop paper out of my studies in internship. Do you think it is a red-flag reason for research labs?

Let me share an observation lastly. I study Deep Generative Models, Representation Learning and Optimization. After an extensive search for supervisors studying these fields at MILA, I realized they have very few Master students. Obviously this makes admission process much more competitive.

Has anyone else's status on the application page changed since they've submitted? Mine now says "STATUS: Review completed" and I'm eally hoping that's just the intial review stage and I haven't been rejected outright without an interview lol

46 minutes ago, palm_directions said:

Has anyone else's status on the application page changed since they've submitted? Mine now says "STATUS: Review completed" and I'm eally hoping that's just the intial review stage and I haven't been rejected outright without an interview lol

My status is also updated to Review completed.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Paul Janson said:

Received invite for interviews from first choice professor. Any body who had the interview would like to share the experience? 

Sure had mine last week it was a just a brief chat about my background and research interests / ideas I outlined in my SOP. Good luck!

Edited by palm_directions

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Vivian78 said:

Do we still need to apply for the school that the professor is affiliated with? I only applied for MILA and I'm not sure since I don't receive any interview yet.

UdeM has a soft deadline, so if your POIs are affiliated with UdeM, you may apply after they have made their decisions. Good luck with your application!

On 1/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, Paul Janson said:

Received invite for interviews from first choice professor. Any body who had the interview would like to share the experience? 

Congrats! Would you mind telling me from which uni did you receive the call from? I had mentioned 2 profs from McGill and 1 from UdeM and am yet to receive a response. 

Edited by rand0m_grad