How do I work more than 20hrs/wk in the summer in the US?

Title says it all. I'm a Canadian and am here under the F-1 heading that limits me to 20hrs/wk.

I would like to either work full-time for financial reasons during the summer, or I would like to be able to work full-time to further my career.

Do you have any knowledge that in any way relates to this subject?

If I can only work 20hrs/wk it might be cheaper to fly back to Canada for the summer months. That's annoying--I'd like to not have to constantly shift my life back and forth.

Title says it all. I'm a Canadian and am here under the F-1 heading that limits me to 20hrs/wk.

I would like to either work full-time for financial reasons during the summer, or I would like to be able to work full-time to further my career.

If I can only work 20hrs/wk it might be cheaper to fly back to Canada for the summer months. That's annoying--I'd like to not have to constantly shift my life back and forth.

With an F-1 visa you're allowed to work on campus up to 40h/week during the recess periods (breaks, holidays, etc.). However, I don't know whether you have to fill in some additional paperwork or whether it's automatically done. Ask the international student services office of your institution, they will be able to advise you better than me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in addition to what the above post says, there are some (all? - idk) states that allow you to work more than 40 hours when the school is not session. however, this is applicable if you secure an in-state co-op or internship and still (have time to) work on campus. you see, 40 on campus and 40 outside.. if you can manage.