For international students who use FedEx or DHL

Strangefox

Hi!

If you are an international student and are going to use a package delivery company (i.e. FedEx, UPS, DHL) - you must know that some universities have a special address for that purpose!!!!! Being an international student myself, I have found it out purely by chance.

This address is slightly different from the one on their website. So you must ask them - just in case. I don't know what happens if you use the wrong address, may be nothing particularly terrible, but it's better to be on the safe side...

Good luck!

Hi!

If you are an international student and are going to use a package delivery company (i.e. FedEx, UPS, DHL) - you must know that some universities have a special address for that purpose!!!!! Being an international student myself, I have found it out purely by chance.

This address is slightly different from the one on their website. So you must ask them - just in case. I don't know what happens if you use the wrong address, may be nothing particularly terrible, but it's better to be on the safe side...

Good luck!

Thanks for this info. When I applied last year I used FedEx and just used the regular addresses listed on the websites and didn't have any problems. I'll look out for any special addresses this year.

I'm not sure how it relates to being international or not, but yes - many universities have different addresses for things that are delivered via regular post vs. things that are express-delivered. Usually, the first will be a POB that will be checked every so often, while the other has to be a physical address where there is someone responsible present who can sign for packages. You should be able to find the relevant delivery instructions on the department's website and if you don't - ask the administrative staff what address to use if you want to fed-ex materials. The important thing to note in case you're using a delivery method that requires someone to sign for the package is that the address you provide is a physical one and not just a POB. Otherwise, you're fine. I think most departments are experienced enough to list their addresses in a way that avoids this confusion.

Edited by fuzzylogician

I'm not sure how it relates to being international or not, but yes - many universities have different addresses for things that are delivered via regular post vs. things that are express-delivered. Usually, the first will be a POB that will be checked every so often, while the other has to be a physical address where there is someone responsible present who can sign for packages. You should be able to find the relevant delivery instructions on the department's website and if you don't - ask the administrative staff what address to use if you want to fed-ex materials. The important thing to note in case you're using a delivery method that requires someone to sign for the package is that the address you provide is a physical one and not just a POB. Otherwise, you're fine. I think most departments are experienced enough to list their addresses in a way that avoids this confusion.

Well, of course it does not relate only to international studens :) It is just that they are more likely to use express-delivery than local studens because the latter live closer to universities and don't have to worry about regular post problems so much. If I send my transcrips via the regular post it will take my letters around three weeks to get to universities and there are a lot more chances for them to get lost on the way because the journey is so long. That it why I am definetely going to use FedEx :)

Well, of course it does not relate only to international studens :) It is just that they are more likely to use express-delivery than local studens because the latter live closer to universities and don't have to worry about regular post problems so much. If I send my transcrips via the regular post it will take my letters around three weeks to get to universities and there are a lot more chances for them to get lost on the way because the journey is so long. That it why I am definetely going to use FedEx :)

Ah, wait until closer to the deadlines and read the lovely threads about overnight delivery. Everybody uses FedEx B)