Planning Admissions 2023

GMK

2 hours ago, BikeLanes said:

That was me! I received a call from a professor in the department—he said formal notifications should be released Thursday of this week. I'm beyond words with excitement, good luck to everyone! 

Congratulations . Is it for Ph.D., in Urban Studies?

45 minutes ago, TrinityIRL said:

Received a call from an MIT faculty an hour ago, they confirmed that formal decisions will come out tomorrow (Thursday, March 2, Eastern Standard Time) along with financial aid packages for admitted students. Good luck to everyone! 

Many Congratulations. Is it for Ph.D.? in Urban Studies...I am anxious and waiting for their response. 

1 hour ago, TrinityIRL said:

Received a call from an MIT faculty an hour ago, they confirmed that formal decisions will come out tomorrow (Thursday, March 2, Eastern Standard Time) along with financial aid packages for admitted students. Good luck to everyone! 

congratulations!! can i ask which program group you applied to? 

On 2/28/2023 at 11:29 AM, TrinityIRL said:

Feel free to comment with any other leads that I missed. Personally, my application to Rutgers is still under review while others have received offers. I was accepted into Tufts (pending funding) and Cornell ($13k/year) last week. Still waiting on Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Penn, and Rutgers.

Georgia Tech came out a few weeks ago (pending funds). I'm also waiting to hear back from Rutgers (my friend was accepted last week), though I did get into their MPP program. I'm also waiting on UT. Fingers crossed!

18 hours ago, MRA said:

Georgia Tech came out a few weeks ago (pending funds). I'm also waiting to hear back from Rutgers (my friend was accepted last week), though I did get into their MPP program. I'm also waiting on UT. Fingers crossed!

UT Austin, University of Toronto, and UVA seem to be out now!

Fellow international students here: does anyone know which programs are eligible for the 2-year STEM OPT extension? I know schools like Cornell, Harvard, and U Michigan have it because it's listed on their websites, but I can't find info about MIT's MCP anywhere. Thank you very much!

20 hours ago, TrinityIRL said:

Just got an email from Penn. "A more formal notification, complete with notice of financial aid and web links to housing information, will be available through Penn’s website on March 13th at 12 noon (Eastern Daylight Time)."

Hey! Did you receive this as an informal acceptance? I have applied to MCP but haven't received any emails recently...

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated

Hamilton College, B.A. in Geosciences

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

GPA: 3.3, GRE: N/A, it's the devil

Letter of recommendations

Undergrad geoscience professors (academic and thesis advisors)

Personal Essay/Statement

Architecture generally and how the built environment transforms people and is a multisensory experience in the same way that the natural environment is with ties to my experience in the geoscience (literal) field.

Portfolio

Same themes as my personal statement; geoscience thesis and research projects, subway car redesign, sink design, NYC townhouse, creative writing (1 short story, 1 poem), 1 personal drawing, misc. photography (not at all professional lol)

Schools

Pratt M.Arch I, Parsons M.Arch I, NYIT M.Arch I

Open house impressions

Didn't go to any, but I figure Pratt is boujie so it'll be nice, saw video tour from design students at Parsons, and haven't seen NYIT. | I did go to their open houses and all of the professors that came seem really cool, somewhat laid-back, but about their shit.

Results

Pratt: just got my acceptance, I'm f- screaming | Parsons: waiting (in)patiently | NYIT: asked for an interview yesterday

Tips

I don't know since I don't have an architecture background, but NYIT faculty did give me this gem. If you are not from an architecture background applying to grad school, (1) they DO NOT expect you to know much if anything about architecture and (2) highlight your undergrad or outside projects that were interesting to you or you worked really hard on and your creative or research process.

15 hours ago, TrinityIRL said:

@NotHereYet Yes, it was an informal email from their department chair. I imagine it could be a batching situation, you have no reason to worry. Good luck!

Ohh Thanks!! Sorry for panicking, I have been in anxiety hell for the past week. They sure are taking their sweet time with these decisions! Good luck to you too, and here's to hoping we both get in :)

I also got an email from Penn that I got accepted but rejected from MIT and Berkeley.
The waiting is killing me. I know I have no shot, but who knows lol, so I kept checking my email and application portal throughout the Weekend.

Hope we get a result from Harvard today and other uni too :>.

@TrinityIRL I am also international student. Upenn mcp is STEM. I also could not find information about MIT, but since UPenn MCP is considered STEM, I think MIT's MCP would be considered STEM. I just guessed. I think You should ask them.

Edited by HHSSHH

I received acceptances from Tufts and UW Madison in late February, so now I'm just waiting for more information about funding from a couple of schools.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the importance of attending admitted students days? I have plans to visit one school in person so far. 

Maybe this is a silly question, but I’m curious what you all think: 

I got into NYU MUP and Harvard MUP. Both have concentrations, course selection, opportunities, etc… that would make me equally happy. 

NYU is giving me a full ride. 
Harvard is giving me no aid other than loans. 

I have money saved up from work for grad school and would only need about $40k in loans for Harvard, but is it really worth it? People are telling me the Harvard brand will take me far, but this is planning and that seems fishy.

40 minutes ago, Vegetablecities said:

Maybe this is a silly question, but I’m curious what you all think: 

I got into NYU MUP and Harvard MUP. Both have concentrations, course selection, opportunities, etc… that would make me equally happy. 

NYU is giving me a full ride. 
Harvard is giving me no aid other than loans. 

I have money saved up from work for grad school and would only need about $40k in loans for Harvard, but is it really worth it? People are telling me the Harvard brand will take me far, but this is planning and that seems fishy.

Not Worth it AT ALL. Go to where you are given a full ride imo. NYU is a great school too! It's amazing to have a chance to do grad school for free