PhD program GRE scores.

JGunn3

So here is my problem. My GRE scores was only 1140, however despite this I was able to get into a Masters program, however my long term goal is to go for my PhD and am trying to decide if I need to take the GRE's again. I am a prolific researcher, I have 8 projects currently underway 3 of which are about to be sent out for publication and the others should be done in time to be sent out before I apply next year. My GPA was 3.74 and I graduate with Honors from my undergraduate where I also was involved in research.

What are your thoughts? Will the research I've done, along with the letters or recommendations compensate for my low GRE scores or should I retake them again and hope that I will do better? I took them 3 times as an undergraduate and that is the highest I scored, I have never been good at standardized tests.

I intend on applying at Clinical PhD programs and possibly some Social PhD programs if I can find mentors interested in my research.

Thanks

Clinical Psych programs are so so SO competitive. I think the average applicant scores around 1300 combined. If you apply to clinical programs, you definitely need to retake. Your profile is strong, and your research/GPA should absolutely compensate for the GRE score. The problem is that when a program receives 300 applications (which many clinical programs do) they have to eliminate some right off the bat. That initial elimination is usually by GRE score. Sorry to say it , but if you want your application to be seriously looked at by a clinical Adcom, you need to have a higher GRE score (at least 1200-1250).

So here is my problem. My GRE scores was only 1140, however despite this I was able to get into a Masters program, however my long term goal is to go for my PhD and am trying to decide if I need to take the GRE's again. I am a prolific researcher, I have 8 projects currently underway 3 of which are about to be sent out for publication and the others should be done in time to be sent out before I apply next year. My GPA was 3.74 and I graduate with Honors from my undergraduate where I also was involved in research.

What are your thoughts? Will the research I've done, along with the letters or recommendations compensate for my low GRE scores or should I retake them again and hope that I will do better? I took them 3 times as an undergraduate and that is the highest I scored, I have never been good at standardized tests.

I intend on applying at Clinical PhD programs and possibly some Social PhD programs if I can find mentors interested in my research.

Thanks

couldn't agree more with schoolpsych_hopeful. i quickly became friends with the secretary of the psych department in my school after i started my M.A. and upon casually asking her how do they sort out soooo many applications and stuff she told me the usual cutoff is a GPA/GRE scores combo so the admission comittee only gets together to talk about the best of the best candidates. for the rest it is more like a checklist... something like "less than X or Y cutoff-score on the GRE? throw it on the *rejected* pile"

do take them again!