2023 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

Hi, everyone! I'm a second-year MA in East Asian studies. Applying to Ph.D. programs this winter--mostly EAS/EALAC but some Comp. Lit, Film and Media, etc.

To be honest, not feeling particularly hopeful about my chances because programs are so competitive and I don't have a lot to brag about in my applications. We'll see! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am an undergraduate student from mainland China applying for an MA in East Asian Studies. I have currently finished submitting my application and have not received any interview notification.
As well as I would like to know why the East Asian Studies section of this forum is so cold this year, there are hardly any replies.

Hi there

I just finished my MA thesis in South Korea and applied for EALC phd in modern chinese literature :)

Dyingly Waiting for some updates here

wish you all the best luck!

Plus, a happy new year!!!

Edited by Beijing Koala

Hi all!

Good luck to everyone.

I wanted to add my schools and join the conversation so that we are not all anxious alone, but anxious together.

I am applying to study contemporary China in various disciplines this application cycle, but in terms of EALC departments I applied to Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago, USC, and UCLA. I also applied to other departments (not EALC) at MIT, Harvard, Yale, Washington Seattle, WashU in St. Louis, Stanford, and UCSD.

Hi, all there! I am glad to find this thread because I now have someone to make me company while my anxiety hits hard here! I am currently enrolled in a MA in Translation Studies, but my main interest is in Japanese literature. I applied to Princeton, Upenn, Umich (ALC & Comp Lit), UCL-Davis (Comparative Literature) and University of Colorado -Boulder (ALC). Haven´t heard from any of them so far, but really hoping we all can get admission for Fall 2023!! Best of luck!!

Anyone still wrapping up applications? I've got my last two coming up in the next week. I must say, it was pretty stressful to handle all the early-/mid-December application deadlines with all my term papers and final exams left to do. We're almost there, everyone!

On 1/5/2023 at 2:41 AM, BanjaraSoul said:

Hi, all there! I am glad to find this thread because I now have someone to make me company while my anxiety hits hard here! I am currently enrolled in a MA in Translation Studies, but my main interest is in Japanese literature. I applied to Princeton, Upenn, Umich (ALC & Comp Lit), UCL-Davis (Comparative Literature) and University of Colorado -Boulder (ALC). Haven´t heard from any of them so far, but really hoping we all can get admission for Fall 2023!! Best of luck!!

I also applied to CU Boulder ALC for Chinese modern literature :) Just hoping that Boulder's decisions will come out early

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seems like there were some interviews conducted by Princeton / Upen/ Ohio 

Wish you good luck!!

3 hours ago, Beijing Koala said:

I also applied to CU Boulder ALC for Chinese modern literature :) Just hoping that Boulder's decisions will come out early

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seems like there were some interviews conducted by Princeton / Upen/ Ohio 

Wish you good luck!!

Hi! Nice to hear that you have also applied to UC Boulder. Yes...I am aware that they are already conducting interviews for Princeton and Upenn. Unfortunately, haven´t heard from them yet. Fingers crossed!!!

Hello everyone! This is my first time applying to a doctoral program and I don't personally know anyone else doing it this year, so just seeing other people listing some of the same universities as myself is amazing! My main interest is Early China and I've applied to Princeton, University of Colorado Boulder and University of Washington. Have not heard back from any of them (UW doesn't do interviews, I know Princeton does them, not sure about CU Boulder).

The first part was just me saying hi. The following section is just some random thoughts:

I don't know anything about how this works, but thinking of my interest and seeing @BanjaraSoul's and @Beijing Koala's interests, I wonder: although it's the same department we're applying to, wouldn't there be different review committees for different tracks? Just here we already have three different tracks (Japanese literature, Modern Chinese Literature, Early China) and surely there are even more. And if there are different committees, their review and decision timelines might be different... but then again, I think of the faculty at places like CU Boulder and UW, and considering how few people they have, I guess it would be impossible to form different committees... A place like Princeton could do that though. 

So far, I have only seen the two posts on GC about interviews at Princeton, one posted Dec 30 and the other Jan 4. Does anyone know (either personally or from other places) of anyone else receiving interview invitations?

And yes @BanjaraSoul, let's keep each other some more company during this period! We might all be in different time zones, I'll just post mine here for reference: US Pacific Standard Time (UTC-8). Hope to see more posts here, any random chat will warm my heart!

I received a rejection letter from UChicago,Maph today and they said I was rejected because of my language scores, which is not a surprise to me.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by Aviro

2 hours ago, Justanotheraspirant said:

Hi!! Regarding your random thought of:

"I don't know anything about how this works, but thinking of my interest and seeing @BanjaraSoul's and @Beijing Koala's interests, I wonder: although it's the same department we're applying to, wouldn't there be different review committees for different tracks? " ...

Well...I was also wondering the same. Regarding to UC Boulder, it seems the ALC department is not that big and during the info session I took part last year, they also mentioned that. But that info session was specifically for ALC-Japanese Ph.D. aspirants. The Chinese department might be bigger though and they seem to have more Ph.D. students for Chinese than Japanese as I´ve noticed.

"So far, I have only seen the two posts on GC about interviews at Princeton, one posted Dec 30 and the other Jan 4. Does anyone know (either personally or from other places) of anyone else receiving interview invitations?"

No...I do not even know anyone else in my country applying to ALC. That´s the reason I came to Gradcafe. (hehe)

And yes @BanjaraSoul, let's keep each other some more company during this period! We might all be in different time zones, I'll just post mine here for reference: US Pacific Standard Time (UTC-8). Hope to see more posts here, any random chat will warm my heart!

Sure!!! Let´s do that despite the time zones!Mine is BRST UTC -3. 

And...best of luck to all of us!

2 hours ago, Aviro said:

I received a rejection letter from UChicago,Maph today and they said I was rejected because of my language scores, which is not a surprise to me.

Good luck to everyone!

Oh....I am sorry to hear that. Actually, that is the main reason I gave up on applying to ALC- UChicago. It was in my top list, I had even contacted one professor with whom I would like to work with, but when my TOEFL results came out, I realized I was 5 points behind what is required for admission to the program. Then, just to make sure I messaged the department and they told me that if I was admitted, my admission would be conditioned upon my TOEFL scores and for that reason, I would need to retake the test. Since I had already spent lots of money on all application fees, document translations, and proficiency tests, I decided to give up on UChicago. Also, even if I got admitted, it would be such a nerve-wracking situation sitting for TOEFL once again and that also just to increase mere 5 points. So I saved myself from the stress...(hehe).

On 1/6/2023 at 4:17 AM, BanjaraSoul said:

Hi! Nice to hear that you have also applied to UC Boulder. Yes...I am aware that they are already conducting interviews for Princeton and Upenn. Unfortunately, haven´t heard from them yet. Fingers crossed!!!

Hi, everyone! I haven't heard of any interviews being done (but my network of fellow applicants is practically non-existent). Let's keep our spirits high; I'm sure that all our hard work will pay off and we will get into a program that wants us as much as we want it! Good luck everyone, and @Justanotheraspirant, I agree--any chat on this thread makes me feel solidarity. :)

I applied for 8 phd programs, and now I think I shouldve applied more…

(Berkeley, Ucla, Cu Boulder, Washington(Seattle), UBC Ealcs / Rutgers, Northwestern, Uc San diego Comparative lits)

fingers crossed for everyone

Also, Im curious how you guys are spending this dreadful moment? Me just watching movies, reading books, sleeping like a koala hhhh

5 hours ago, Beijing Koala said:

Also, Im curious how you guys are spending this dreadful moment? Me just watching movies, reading books, sleeping like a koala hhhh

I have been preparing interview questions. I have an interview with a program tomorrow afternoon. Believe me, you will be relieved and then you will be stressed. Prepapre a cheat sheet with answers to typical questions.

1 hour ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

I have been preparing interview questions. I have an interview with a program tomorrow afternoon. Believe me, you will be relieved and then you will be stressed. Prepapre a cheat sheet with answers to typical questions.

That sounds like the right thing to do!

Thx for your advice and good luck with your interview :)