2023 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

On 3/20/2023 at 7:17 PM, lianguxizhao said:

Just got an offer from Duke, the critical Asian humanities program, anyone also got in? After 10 rejection letters, finally I have somewhere to go, so relieved...

So so so jealous of the opportunity to work with Carlos Rojas. Enjoy your time at Duke!

Hi all, thanks so much for providing me info throughout this period. Am happy to announce that I got accepted into Stanford's and Columbia's EALC MA programme. But I was wondering how to decide between the two. Which programme is more prestigious?  I'm interested in Chinese genre studies where I examine modern web genres and identify their pre-modern influences. 

Edited by junboroni

2 hours ago, junboroni said:

Hi all, thanks so much for providing me info throughout this period. Am happy to announce that I got accepted into Stanford's and Columbia's EALC MA programme. But I was wondering how to decide between the two. Which programme is more prestigious?  I'm interested in Chinese genre studies where I examine modern web genres and identify their pre-modern influences. 

Congratulations! I am not sure about Stanford’s program, but if you have specific questions about Columbia’s, feel free to message me. 

Hi, I am so glad to find this thread and wish I could have spotted it earlier. Congratulation to those who already got an offer and wish all the best to whoever is still waiting for the outcomes. I received a PhD offer from UT Austin in early March and an MA from Duke last week (rejected: Harvard PhD, UCLA PhD, UCI PhD, UW MA, Yale MA). But I am having trouble choosing between the two programs (my interest is in modern Chinese and Taiwan lit.) and hope to get some advice. I know there’s a professor at UT who I would like to work with, but I am also worried about UT’s relatively short of faculty and resources in Chinese studies. As for Duke, I really love its academic environment, amazing faculty and resources. The things is I already had an MA in comparative lit. so I would be getting a second MA if I go to Duke and giving up a funded PhD while having to go through the whole PhD application process again two years later. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Edited by Janepeter1231

On 3/30/2023 at 10:53 AM, Janepeter1231 said:

Hi, I am so glad to find this thread and wish I could have spotted it earlier. Congratulation to those who already got an offer and wish all the best to whoever is still waiting for the outcomes. I received a PhD offer from UT Austin in early March and an MA from Duke last week (rejected: Harvard PhD, UCLA PhD, UCI PhD, UW MA, Yale MA). But I am having trouble choosing between the two programs (my interest is in modern Chinese and Taiwan lit.) and hope to get some advice. I know there’s a professor at UT who I would like to work with, but I am also worried about UT’s relatively short of faculty and resources in Chinese studies. As for Duke, I really love its academic environment, amazing faculty and resources. The things is I already had an MA in comparative lit. so I would be getting a second MA if I go to Duke and giving up a funded PhD while having to go through the whole PhD application process again two years later. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Definitely don't go to an unfunded MA when you have a PhD offer. You can always transfer out during your PhD, but two more years of MA + 60k a year at a private school like Duke is simply not worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, wanlichangcheng said:

Officially, fully out for this cycle. Congratulations to everyone who got in, and good luck to those (if there are any) who, like me, will start the whole thing over this fall. 

Same here...My field is Early China. Even had been interviewed by Princeton and some others, this year's application does not turn out well at all. Right now my only hope is Oregon but I haven't heard anything from them yet. it is most likely that I will go through everything again this fall. just hope we will have luck next time:)

2 hours ago, WanderThrougTheWorld said:

Same here...My field is Early China. Even had been interviewed by Princeton and some others, this year's application does not turn out well at all. Right now my only hope is Oregon but I haven't heard anything from them yet. it is most likely that I will go through everything again this fall. just hope we will have luck next time:)

I wish you the best of luck with Oregon! Otherwise, I will see you again next fall. 追求梦想的路若不顺,梦想达到了就更甜。

On 3/14/2023 at 5:07 AM, AppleBird0210 said:

@welcometouniqlo I am also waiting for U of T, though I kinda already gave up because they admit very few international students and the stipend barely covers the living costs. I guess you might want to write to them to see if the admissions have been completed.

Hey sorry I totally forgot to check Gradcafe in the later half of March. In the end I got their offer but it was really late (portal notification Mar 22, letter was dated to Mar 18 though), so I took up an offer elsewhere. Hope it went well for you!

Thank you! I heard back from UToronto EAS for my PhD application today (Apr. 26th). The email informed me that I am still on the top of their waitlist and inquired whether I have accepted an offer elsewhere. The potential offer came too late. I submitted my application in late December, and I received no notice in between all this time. The positive side of things (for reference to future applicants) is that the waitlist is real and the possibility of getting off it is definitely not zero...