2023 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

On 1/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, junboroni said:

Hi everyone, I'm a senior applying to EALC MA programmes to Stanford, Harvard and Columbia. Do MA programme results generally come out on March 15 or earlier? Thanks!

Hi Junboroni, 

I was admitted to one of those programs; my decision came out on March 10. Best of luck!

Anyone heard back from University of Colorado Boulder? I saw the one post on GC about an acceptance on Jan 23.

Since I see so many international students, I'm now starting to think if some schools contact them earlier as they would need more time to prepare afterwards. Or obviously I'm probably just trying to make up excuses for not hearing anything back ?

My CU Boulder POI emailed me few days ago, asking if I will accept a funded MA position rather than a PhD one.  I replied yes, but she didn't check my email yet, not sure how this is going on....

Edited by Beijing Koala

Congratulations for receiving the offer! Based on what I talked about with my POI before applying, it seems that they're mainly offering MA positions even if we are applying for PhDs, so that's not unusual. And it's probably for the best, their department is really tiny and I don't think a PhD there is really that feasible.

10 minutes ago, Beijing Koala said:

My CU Boulder POI emailed me few days ago, asking if I will accept a funded MA position rather than a PhD one.  I replied yes, but she didn't check my email yet, not sure how this is going on....

16 minutes ago, Justanotheraspirant said:

Congratulations for receiving the offer! Based on what I talked about with my POI before applying, it seems that they're mainly offering MA positions even if we are applying for PhDs, so that's not unusual. And it's probably for the best, their department is really tiny and I don't think a PhD there is really that feasible.

Thank you for this information!

I didn't receive an official offer letter yet, still waiting for some PhD offers to come out...

best wishes with your application too.

On 1/25/2023 at 4:06 AM, Beijing Koala said:

Hi, Beijing Koala! I also received an email from CU Bolder with the same contents. Although I was looking for admission to their PhD course, I was offered MA position instead. However, when I attended their info sessions, I kinda felt that they really seem not to accept people directly into the PhD. I might be wrong though, but that is the impression I had. Anyways....I am very glad, but I am also eager to know about the other results!!! 

Continuing the CU Boulder thread, I also just received an email asking me if I would be interested in the MA program instead of the PhD and to set up a short Zoom interview with the faculty "to get to know me a little bit better".

@Beijing Koala and @BanjaraSoul In the emails you received, did they specifically say it would be a funded MA? Or did they only tell you that after you asked? I have heard before that they do offer TA positions to all incoming MA students and I have indeed submitted the TA application, but I just want to be extra cautious.

@BanjaraSoul @Justanotheraspirant Hey guys! Congrats for BanjaraSoul.

In the email I received, my POI did mention that they will consider giving me a funded MA position. Just like Justanotheraspirant, I was also scheduled for an interview. They said that they were unable to admit PhD students this year, and I'm just guessing that @Justanotheraspirant you will also be considered as a funded MA. 

I'm not sure if I will be able to do my MA again in the US, so still waiting for other PhD offers. Good luck to you all

I heard back with an acceptance from USC! I am so happy that I am able to relax now for the rest of the application cycle and just take what comes my way.

Best of luck to everyone and I will continue to post results and contribute here so that everyone has much information as possible!

3 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

I heard back with an acceptance from USC! I am so happy that I am able to relax now for the rest of the application cycle and just take what comes my way.

Best of luck to everyone and I will continue to post results and contribute here so that everyone has much information as possible!

Congrats!! I went to USC for my MA. I wasn’t in the East Asian program, but took quite a few classes there. It’s a great program :))

6 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

Congratulations!!! Yes....it is a real peace of mind having at least one acceptance, right? I also allowing myself to relax while waiting for the other results to come. By the way....are you in the Japanese or Chinese track?

8 hours ago, Beijing Koala said:

@BanjaraSoul @Justanotheraspirant Hey guys! Congrats for BanjaraSoul.

In the email I received, my POI did mention that they will consider giving me a funded MA position. Just like Justanotheraspirant, I was also scheduled for an interview. They said that they were unable to admit PhD students this year, and I'm just guessing that @Justanotheraspirant you will also be considered as a funded MA. 

I'm not sure if I will be able to do my MA again in the US, so still waiting for other PhD offers. Good luck to you all

Thank you, Beijing Koala! Regarding the funded MA position, if we check the UCBoulder department website we can see that most of the students doing their MA are appointed as TA or RA. Only 2 or 3 are  PhD students or candidates. I am not sure about the reason, but maybe they admit students only for MA positions at first? 

15 hours ago, Aviro said:

Has anyone applied to the Asian Studies MA at Berkeley? I would like to know if there is an interview for this program.

As far as I know, interviews are not done or are uncommon for MA programs. I had no interviews for any of the MA programs I got into. 

I know that normally there are no interviews for these programs, however Berkeley sent my friend an invitation to interview yesterday and no one else received one, so I thought I would ask you all.
Anyway thanks guys and good luck to everyone!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how common it is (or isn't!) to be accepted to a program without an interview? I imagine that it's unlikely as funding a Ph.D. student is an expensive investment for the department. 

Also, does anyone know how late the "interview season" goes? Again I imagine that it's probably pretty variable, as some programs don't seem to release results until some time in March. 

As February approaches I'm increasingly concerned about the lack of any contact from my programs haha

On 1/26/2023 at 9:39 PM, Justanotheraspirant said:

Continuing the CU Boulder thread, I also just received an email asking me if I would be interested in the MA program instead of the PhD and to set up a short Zoom interview with the faculty "to get to know me a little bit better".

@Beijing Koala and @BanjaraSoul In the emails you received, did they specifically say it would be a funded MA? Or did they only tell you that after you asked? I have heard before that they do offer TA positions to all incoming MA students and I have indeed submitted the TA application, but I just want to be extra cautious.

Well...in the e-mail I received it was mentioned "TA ship" (tuition fee + insurance+ stipend). And I guess on their website they also mention that the MA program is fully funded, if I not mistaken.

14 hours ago, wanlichangcheng said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how common it is (or isn't!) to be accepted to a program without an interview? I imagine that it's unlikely as funding a Ph.D. student is an expensive investment for the department. 

Also, does anyone know how late the "interview season" goes? Again I imagine that it's probably pretty variable, as some programs don't seem to release results until some time in March. 

As February approaches I'm increasingly concerned about the lack of any contact from my programs haha

I also would like to know which parameters they use to choose whom to interview. Also if they interview all candidates, which I believe it is near to impossible depending on the program. IHope we can hear from the remaining universities on the first week of Feb!!

19 hours ago, Aviro said:

I know that normally there are no interviews for these programs, however Berkeley sent my friend an invitation to interview yesterday and no one else received one, so I thought I would ask you all.
Anyway thanks guys and good luck to everyone!

This was for the MA degree program, correct? Is your friend international? They may be interviewing an MA program applicant to confirm English language ability.