2023 East Asian Studies (EAS/EALL/EALCS/EALC)

4 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

This was for the MA degree program, correct? Is your friend international? They may be interviewing an MA program applicant to confirm English language ability.

Yes, she's from mainland China like me and is applying for a Masters degree, so maybe you're right, thank you!

Hi, guys. Just to keep you updated: yesterday night ( I am in South America) I received a rejection email from Umich - Asian Languages and Cultures program. It is a very interesting program, but I really did not feel I was a fit for it due to my research topic. Just now I checked on the portal and saw few rejections from the same program. Now more 3 results are to come. Fingers crossed!!

3 hours ago, BanjaraSoul said:

Hi, guys. Just to keep you updated: yesterday night ( I am in South America) I received a rejection email from Umich - Asian Languages and Cultures program. It is a very interesting program, but I really did not feel I was a fit for it due to my research topic. Just now I checked on the portal and saw few rejections from the same program. Now more 3 results are to come. Fingers crossed!!

Good luck with your remaining results! I'm sure you'll get a good offer!

@Silverfish23 I am also anxiously waiting for news from UC Berkeley... (and UCLA too)! It does not seem that Berkeley conduct interviews (based on my cursory research of the results section in recent years), though I was approached by my POI from Berkeley for a brief Zoom conversation (note: not an interview) in mid January. I am very grateful for the contact, but it does not seem that it would influence the committee's decision process. 

@suibian As for Harvard EALC (contemporary Chinese/Sinophone lit), are you applying to work with David Wang? I also want to work with him (my area of interest being modern Chinese lit), and have not heard anything while many applicants have received invitations to interview. I feel like my chance is quite slim. Or maybe the interviews are non-standard individual initiatives from the professors -- and some students might be admitted without being interviewed? I have no idea...

And an update: I was accepted into Penn State's Comparative Literature Program yesterday.

Good luck to everyone! Fingers crossed for good news in the first days of February! 

6 minutes ago, AppleBird0210 said:

@Silverfish23 I am also anxiously waiting for news from UC Berkeley... (and UCLA too)! It does not seem that Berkeley conduct interviews (based on my cursory research of the results section in recent years), though I was approached by my POI from Berkeley for a brief Zoom conversation (note: not an interview) in mid January. I am very grateful for the contact, but it does not seem that it would influence the committee's decision process. 

@suibian As for Harvard EALC (contemporary Chinese/Sinophone lit), are you applying to work with David Wang? I also want to work with him (my area of interest being modern Chinese lit), and have not heard anything while many applicants have received invitations to interview. I feel like my chance is quite slim. Or maybe the interviews are non-standard individual initiatives from the professors -- and some students might be admitted without being interviewed? I have no idea...

And an update: I was accepted into Penn State's Comparative Literature Program yesterday.

Good luck to everyone! Fingers crossed for good news in the first days of February! 

Congrats on Penn State's offer!! And thank you so much for sharing! I think we may hear from UCB very soon according to Gradcafe results in recent years (usually early Feb), let's hope for the best!

31 minutes ago, AppleBird0210 said:

Yeah I'm hoping to work with him, although I heard from my professor that he's possibly not accepting any PhD students in EALC this season?? Complete hearsay, so don't quote me on that. Congratulations on your Penn State acceptance!

2 hours ago, AppleBird0210 said:

Who is the POI at Berkeley? Feel free to PM. That's my top choice school.

hi i'm doing my ma at berkeley (modern chinese lit). i heard from our department that the administration is currently in a mess after the strike last year, so it may impact the admission process.

and another update—i was waitlisted by u chicago ealc program (email from poi), and it seems that they only admit 3 students across chinese, japanese, and korean studies this season...

Edited by theonevsthemany

23 minutes ago, theonevsthemany said:

hi i'm doing my ma at berkeley (modern chinese lit). i heard from our department that the administration is currently in a mess after the strike last year, so it may impact the admission process.

and another update—i was waitlisted by u chicago ealc program (email from poi), and it seems that they only admit 3 students across chinese, japanese, and korean studies this season...

Three! Wow. And to think I didn't even get an application fee waiver...

I knew it is competitive but I didn't expect things to be so competitive. (Why my recommenders at UChicago suggested that I apply broadly...) I also applied to EALC at UChicago and I have not heard anything, except that I know from the professor with whom I am taking class that he is on the committee this year. I guess the decisions have been made and will be sent out soon.

I hope Berkeley does get to sort things out! 

Edited by AppleBird0210