Spanish PhD applications Fall 2023

MPAOH

5 hours ago, DonD said:

Hey, congratulations @Twomoons! In other news, I was notified yesterday of my admission to Notre Dame. However, I’m not sure if the funding offer is the best. I wonder if someone here has been accepted to that program as well, maybe we could chat about the details. They mention funding for the first year (tuition plus a Graduate assistantship) and renewable support depending on the availability of funds and performance. Is this a standard offer? Should I be afraid of running out of money in the middle of the program? I know these are questions for the Graduate Director and I’ll talk to them, but I wish they were much more specific about this.

Congratulations!! This is definitely something to ask your program quickly about!  A couple years back, I had a friend who applied to programs in a different PhD discipline.  They were offered admissions to a certain institution the same day as everyone else, only they would not receive funding.  Unsurprisingly, they choose to attend elsewhere.  I don't have any idea of how Notre Dame does funding, but there can always be those weird cases, so check in and congratulations!!

On 2/1/2023 at 6:08 AM, MPAOH said:

Hi! I was also hoping to see if anyone else has been accepted to UW-Madison's PhD program to talk about their funding. Please let me know!

I have also been accepted to UW-Madison and had the little informal interview today and got a little bit more info about funding, though not exact numbers. I think we're supposed to get more info in the next couple weeks

Hello everyone!! Hope you're all doing well. Has anyone heard from NYU or WashU in St. Louis? I've also applied to UT Austin where I was rejected, and Penn State where I was thankfully accepted a few days ago. I was wondering if anyone has any news about the other two unis I mentioned. 

I applied to the PhD Spanish programs, specifically to the literature programs! 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:20 PM, booklover123 said:

Hello everyone!! Hope you're all doing well. Has anyone heard from NYU or WashU in St. Louis?

Hi! I was waitlisted by WashU in St. Louis in early January. I didn't apply to NYU though!

Hi!!! Does anyone know if they will be rejecting an offer from UT Austin? They informed me that I am number 1 on the wait list..... I have an offer from University of Toronto also. Does anyone know what the funding is like from UT Austin for an international applicant?????

To the person wondering about NYU, they interviewed me just under two weeks ago.  From my point of view, it was an incredibly unconventional interview given the DGS was not present and there were only two people interviewing me + it was restricted to twenty minutes.  Needless to say, I was very skeptical this was the final round of interviews, because I know they conducted Zoom interviews for roughly two weeks.  

It seems that based on the results page, someone has advanced to a second, in-person round of interviews in Early March with a campus visit.  Sadly, I have heard nothing from them and assume I have either been rejected or waitlisted.  I don't want to sound too negative but, if you did not make it to the Zoom round of interviews, I can't imagine it is good news, but you never know.  It would be nice if they would just reject the people whom they will clearly reject :0. 

On 2/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, spanlit said:

I have also been accepted to UW-Madison and had the little informal interview today and got a little bit more info about funding, though not exact numbers. I think we're supposed to get more info in the next couple weeks

I also got in! I just received my funding info and I’m not too sure what to compare it to since I haven’t received the official funding letters from the other schools I got accepted to

New to this forum! So far 3 acceptances (UW-Madison, University of Maryland, and UCLA), 2 rejections (Brown, Berkeley), 1 interview (UC Irvine), and radio silence from 3 (Princeton, USC, NYU) although I’ve accepted my fate with the latter 3.

I was wondering if anyone here had gotten an interview from UCI and if they’ve heard back? Or know by when we’ll hear back? 

Also anyone planning on attending UCLA’s open house next week?

1 hour ago, Msanch said:

New to this forum! So far 3 acceptances (UW-Madison, University of Maryland, and UCLA), 2 rejections (Brown, Berkeley), 1 interview (UC Irvine), and radio silence from 3 (Princeton, USC, NYU) although I’ve accepted my fate with the latter 3.

I was wondering if anyone here had gotten an interview from UCI and if they’ve heard back? Or know by when we’ll hear back? 

Also anyone planning on attending UCLA’s open house next week?

Update: literally 15 minutes ago got a call from UCI saying I got in! Best of luck everyone!

On 2/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, Twomoons said:

It seems that based on the results page, someone has advanced to a second, in-person round of interviews in Early March with a campus visit.

Hi twomoons! can I ask what results page you are talking about?  Also, thank you all who have been posting, i have felt less alone in the application/waiting process! 

On 2/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, DonD said:

Totally! We need some closure to move forward…

Yep...I will say, even though it is a really prestigious program, one would think it becomes a bit of a gamble for them at some point.  I mean, with so many programs already having given offers which will be likely provide a better living situation to students...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone: Has anyone been rejected by NYU yet? I was told by one person that they were, but I am wondering if more general rejections have gone out yet.  I received an interview in February and have yet to hear back from them and I some individuals were already accepted, so I am trying to figure out what the status of my app might be at this time. 

On 3/20/2023 at 4:14 PM, Twomoons said:

Hi everyone: Has anyone been rejected by NYU yet? I was told by one person that they were, but I am wondering if more general rejections have gone out yet.  I received an interview in February and have yet to hear back from them and I some individuals were already accepted, so I am trying to figure out what the status of my app might be at this time. 

hey there! i have not heard about rejections but i do know that they invited 10 people to the OpenHouse in the beginning of March. According to my friend they made five offers and waitlisted the remaining five from that OpenHouse. So, there might be some people that although did not get invited to the OpenHouse could still get into the waitlist or get an offer if admitted students decline their offer and if waitlisted students decide to get off the wait list. 

On 2/4/2023 at 12:03 AM, spanlit said:

Hiii! I have also been admitted to UW-Madison, but I'm little concerned about the funding. Do you think it is enough? I'm international student.

Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to figure out what university to attend. I have been accepted into four universities: U Minnesota, UW-Madison, UC-Irvine, and CU-Boulder. I rejected the Minnesota offer because it was similar to UW-Madison. So, the thing is at UW-Madison there are various professors working on my field of interest, but they offered me the lowest stipend offer and I have to teach the 5 years (21000 for 9 months). 

UC-Irvine and CU-Boulder offered me a fellowship for the first year (and the last year in Boulder). I don't have to teach these years. The stipend in UC-Irvine for the second year is 31000 approx. and in Boulder is 27000 approx. In these universities, there is just one professor working in my field of study though. 

I am afraid of rejecting UW-Madison because I think is the best academically speaking. On the other side, Irvine and Boulder offered me a better package. What should I do? Do you think it's most important the economic or the academic side? I'm an international student and, even though I'm happy to have been accepted, right now I'm very stressed about trying to make a final decision. 

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...