Spanish PhD applications Fall 2023

MPAOH

Hi @MPAOH! Right now I’m trying to complete my application to Michigan. Deadline is next Sunday, so I’m a bit worried. One of my recommenders hasn’t submitted her letter and I’m not sure if it’s possible to do it after the deadline has passed. I’ve written to the Admissions department, but no one has replied yet. The website is not clear at all about that. Also, I hadn’t noticed that they required translated copies of your diplomas as well. I’m running out of time and it really sucks because Michigan is basically my top choice. Any ideas about what should I do?

Hi! I'm also an international applicant and was told by all my schools I'm applying to to provide a translated diploma too. Search to see if there is a cheap translator online. Mine was done in about 48 hours!! There's hope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there.  Best of luck to everyone.  Does anyone know if there is a spreadsheet for average dates for interviews?  Based on last year, it looks like Northwestern might be very soon and then a string of other interviews would start popping up in about two weeks at other institutions, but it would be nice to have a clearer timetable.  

It seems like a U Michigan acceptance has trickled in now too.  I'm really hoping to know soon if someone has heard anything from Northwestern because it's my top choice. 

Also, it's important to remember that it's still very early in the season and departments can change their admission process every year.  For example, some departments that traditionally do interviews may not do them and vice versa.  They also might release results earlier or later than in previous years.  

19 hours ago, Twomoons said:

It seems like a U Michigan acceptance has trickled in now too.  I'm really hoping to know soon if someone has heard anything from Northwestern because it's my top choice. 

Also, it's important to remember that it's still very early in the season and departments can change their admission process every year.  For example, some departments that traditionally do interviews may not do them and vice versa.  They also might release results earlier or later than in previous years.  

Based on a Forum from last year, it looks like Northwestern sent out invitations for interview around this date last year: 

2 hours ago, Twomoons said:

Received an invite to interview with Northwestern this morning!  Looks like someone else did as well. 

Congratulations! May I ask when your interview is scheduled? And also, did you get the invitation via email or by call? I am also applying to Northwestern but I haven't heard anything from them.

Edited by sp33

18 minutes ago, sp33 said:

Congratulations! May I ask when your interview is scheduled? And also, did you get the invitation via email or by call? I am also applying to Northwestern but I haven't heard anything from them.

Thanks! My interview is scheduled for the end of this week.  The notice came via e-mail this morning and there has not been any change to my online portal or application status.

16 hours ago, FrankieGamer said:

Hey guys, has anyone heard from Princeton? The department of Spanish and Portuguese at Northwestern rejected me and I am waiting on Princeton, since it's my second choice, but haven't heard anything.

Hi,

Do you mind telling me when you received the response from northwestern? I'm still waiting to hear from them! Even though if I havent heard back, I assume I was rejected at this point..... Thanks!

Received a call from Northwestern's DGS today notifying me of my admission to the program so it would make sense that they are getting around to rejections and waitlists right now. 

5 hours ago, swampbaby said:

Hi,

Do you mind telling me when you received the response from northwestern? I'm still waiting to hear from them! Even though if I havent heard back, I assume I was rejected at this point..... Thanks!

Hey, congratulations @Twomoons! In other news, I was notified yesterday of my admission to Notre Dame. However, I’m not sure if the funding offer is the best. I wonder if someone here has been accepted to that program as well, maybe we could chat about the details. They mention funding for the first year (tuition plus a Graduate assistantship) and renewable support depending on the availability of funds and performance. Is this a standard offer? Should I be afraid of running out of money in the middle of the program? I know these are questions for the Graduate Director and I’ll talk to them, but I wish they were much more specific about this.

Edited by DonD