Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

PhD Social Work Fall 2023


imherebecauseiam
 Share

Recommended Posts

hey folx, 

just wanted to start a forum for those who are interested in sharing their PhD Social Work Fall 2023 experiences (interviews, insight, timelines, acceptances, etc.) to hopefully relieve some anxiety! I applied to Bryn Mawr's PhD Social Work program and haven't seen any Bryn Mawr representation yet but feel free to share NYU, Columbia, UW, UPenn, etc.! Sending positive vibez to everyone~~~~~

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for starting this !! I know I probably will not hear until mid February but I am constantly checking my email 😅 is anyone else nervous because they have heard absolutely nothing? I applied to UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, University of Michigan and University of Chicago. I attend Columbia right now for my MSW and I don’t know if that will hurt me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bobburgersmustache said:

Thank you for starting this !! I know I probably will not hear until mid February but I am constantly checking my email 😅 is anyone else nervous because they have heard absolutely nothing? I applied to UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, University of Michigan and University of Chicago. I attend Columbia right now for my MSW and I don’t know if that will hurt me. 

Hi I am looking to attend Columbia for MSW do you know the gpa requirements and stats to get admitted? and when did you hear back from them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bobburgersmustache said:

Thank you for starting this !! I know I probably will not hear until mid February but I am constantly checking my email 😅 is anyone else nervous because they have heard absolutely nothing? I applied to UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, University of Michigan and University of Chicago. I attend Columbia right now for my MSW and I don’t know if that will hurt me. 

I also went to Columbia for my MSW and graduated May 22. You actually have a higher chance of getting in because of your credentials. I would actually recommend snooping around to see which professors teach PhD students and if some of those Professors align with your interests! They could potentially be your advocate since PhD programs are less about grades/stats and more so about compatibility with faculty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Melisaa said:

Hi I am looking to attend Columbia for MSW do you know the gpa requirements and stats to get admitted? and when did you hear back from them?

I am not sure about the gpa requirements, but I think if you're over like a 3.5 you should be good! I heard back on 1/15! Honestly, the MSW program at Columbia is not as competitive as people think. They actually are one of the social work programs that enrolls the most MSW students! I wish you the best 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone!! Happy New Year!! For this application cycle, I applied to Ohio State, Michigan State, and Case Western. I'm so nervous and I keep checking these application portals every day 😭 Wishing everyone well! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Everyone!

 

I just wanted to introduce myself as I work for a special education organization that serves children within the DMV area! The organization is The Children's Guild and we are looking to connect with current clinicians/social workers as well as those looking to get into the field! I would love to share more about not only the organization but provide some advice on those going out to other organizations looking for positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I made an account just for this thread because it’s the only place I’ve seen PhD social work programs mentioned. I’ve applied to 5 PhD programs. None that have been listed in other comments above.

 

I had one interview in December. I thought it went really well. They offered to connect me with another student in the program. I was “officially” waitlisted, but I got an e-mail from the program director separately before that who informed me I would be getting the notice for this response, but asked me to “please hang on” until after the new year. I was informed they had not offered all their spots, and needed more time after break to make final decisions. She sent this to me personally and I’m hoping that’s a good sign?? If I am only going to be accepted if someone declines, I would hope I’d just get the official waitlist response from the start without the additional request.

 

I had a phone interview with a different school and they told me they are not making official decisions until February/March, but that if I got any other offers to let them know because they can speed up the process at times. I was also invited to attend some classes and meet fellow students. 
 

Trying to read the input I’ve gotten so far has been confusing. Anxiety is definitely high! Glad this forum exists to know I’m not alone.

Good luck to everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2023 at 6:18 AM, s.work.2023 said:

Hi everyone, I made an account just for this thread because it’s the only place I’ve seen PhD social work programs mentioned. I’ve applied to 5 PhD programs. None that have been listed in other comments above.

 

I had one interview in December. I thought it went really well. They offered to connect me with another student in the program. I was “officially” waitlisted, but I got an e-mail from the program director separately before that who informed me I would be getting the notice for this response, but asked me to “please hang on” until after the new year. I was informed they had not offered all their spots, and needed more time after break to make final decisions. She sent this to me personally and I’m hoping that’s a good sign?? If I am only going to be accepted if someone declines, I would hope I’d just get the official waitlist response from the start without the additional request.

 

I had a phone interview with a different school and they told me they are not making official decisions until February/March, but that if I got any other offers to let them know because they can speed up the process at times. I was also invited to attend some classes and meet fellow students. 
 

Trying to read the input I’ve gotten so far has been confusing. Anxiety is definitely high! Glad this forum exists to know I’m not alone.

Good luck to everyone!

Wow.. seems like many things are going on right now! If you don't mind, can you share which school you'd applied to? Also.. was phone interview an official one? thanks alot! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, PsyduckLady said:

Hey everyone!! Happy New Year!! For this application cycle, I applied to Ohio State, Michigan State, and Case Western. I'm so nervous and I keep checking these application portals every day 😭 Wishing everyone well! 

I think you don't need to check the portal cus they immediately sent you a decision mail right away. Finger crossed! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2023 at 7:36 AM, imherebecauseiam said:

I also went to Columbia for my MSW and graduated May 22. You actually have a higher chance of getting in because of your credentials. I would actually recommend snooping around to see which professors teach PhD students and if some of those Professors align with your interests! They could potentially be your advocate since PhD programs are less about grades/stats and more so about compatibility with faculty. 

Thanks for your information. I'm an international and applied PhD at CSSW. Do you happen to know if there is an interview for PhD applicants? Because some say there is no interview for PhD applicants at CSSW, but I can see an interview section on the application portal, which confuses me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Baki_ki said:

Has anyone been offered an interview or heard about it? I think they usually do interviews at the end of January, but I haven't heard from any school.. :(

While I've gotten one rejection, the other schools I've applied to haven't reached out to me for interviews yet either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2023 at 8:48 PM, Junejune said:

Wow.. seems like many things are going on right now! If you don't mind, can you share which school you'd applied to? Also.. was phone interview an official one? thanks alot! 

This is a response to my above earlier post. I applied to Mizzou, SLU, and WashU, all in Missouri. I have not heard from Mizzou or WashU. My talk mentioned above was with the director of the PhD social work program at SLU and it was casual but we discussed everything you would expect such as info about the program and research interest. I received a call today I was accepted to SLU, I’m just waiting on the official paperwork. The out of state schools I applied to were University of Denver and University of TN. I was waitlisted without an interview by one. The other is the one who told me they need more time to make decisions this year. 
 

Good luck to everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.