PhD Social Work Fall 2023

hey folx, 

just wanted to start a forum for those who are interested in sharing their PhD Social Work Fall 2023 experiences (interviews, insight, timelines, acceptances, etc.) to hopefully relieve some anxiety! I applied to Bryn Mawr's PhD Social Work program and haven't seen any Bryn Mawr representation yet but feel free to share NYU, Columbia, UW, UPenn, etc.! Sending positive vibez to everyone~~~~~

Thank you for starting this !! I know I probably will not hear until mid February but I am constantly checking my email ? is anyone else nervous because they have heard absolutely nothing? I applied to UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, University of Michigan and University of Chicago. I attend Columbia right now for my MSW and I don’t know if that will hurt me. 

On 12/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bobburgersmustache said:

Thank you for starting this !! I know I probably will not hear until mid February but I am constantly checking my email ? is anyone else nervous because they have heard absolutely nothing? I applied to UC Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, University of Michigan and University of Chicago. I attend Columbia right now for my MSW and I don’t know if that will hurt me. 

Hi I am looking to attend Columbia for MSW do you know the gpa requirements and stats to get admitted? and when did you hear back from them?

On 12/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bobburgersmustache said:

I also went to Columbia for my MSW and graduated May 22. You actually have a higher chance of getting in because of your credentials. I would actually recommend snooping around to see which professors teach PhD students and if some of those Professors align with your interests! They could potentially be your advocate since PhD programs are less about grades/stats and more so about compatibility with faculty. 

22 hours ago, Melisaa said:

Hi I am looking to attend Columbia for MSW do you know the gpa requirements and stats to get admitted? and when did you hear back from them?

I am not sure about the gpa requirements, but I think if you're over like a 3.5 you should be good! I heard back on 1/15! Honestly, the MSW program at Columbia is not as competitive as people think. They actually are one of the social work programs that enrolls the most MSW students! I wish you the best ?

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself as I work for a special education organization that serves children within the DMV area! The organization is The Children's Guild and we are looking to connect with current clinicians/social workers as well as those looking to get into the field! I would love to share more about not only the organization but provide some advice on those going out to other organizations looking for positions.

Hi everyone, I made an account just for this thread because it’s the only place I’ve seen PhD social work programs mentioned. I’ve applied to 5 PhD programs. None that have been listed in other comments above.

I had one interview in December. I thought it went really well. They offered to connect me with another student in the program. I was “officially” waitlisted, but I got an e-mail from the program director separately before that who informed me I would be getting the notice for this response, but asked me to “please hang on” until after the new year. I was informed they had not offered all their spots, and needed more time after break to make final decisions. She sent this to me personally and I’m hoping that’s a good sign?? If I am only going to be accepted if someone declines, I would hope I’d just get the official waitlist response from the start without the additional request.

I had a phone interview with a different school and they told me they are not making official decisions until February/March, but that if I got any other offers to let them know because they can speed up the process at times. I was also invited to attend some classes and meet fellow students. 

Trying to read the input I’ve gotten so far has been confusing. Anxiety is definitely high! Glad this forum exists to know I’m not alone.

Good luck to everyone!

On 1/8/2023 at 6:18 AM, s.work.2023 said:

Hi everyone, I made an account just for this thread because it’s the only place I’ve seen PhD social work programs mentioned. I’ve applied to 5 PhD programs. None that have been listed in other comments above.

I had one interview in December. I thought it went really well. They offered to connect me with another student in the program. I was “officially” waitlisted, but I got an e-mail from the program director separately before that who informed me I would be getting the notice for this response, but asked me to “please hang on” until after the new year. I was informed they had not offered all their spots, and needed more time after break to make final decisions. She sent this to me personally and I’m hoping that’s a good sign?? If I am only going to be accepted if someone declines, I would hope I’d just get the official waitlist response from the start without the additional request.

I had a phone interview with a different school and they told me they are not making official decisions until February/March, but that if I got any other offers to let them know because they can speed up the process at times. I was also invited to attend some classes and meet fellow students. 

Trying to read the input I’ve gotten so far has been confusing. Anxiety is definitely high! Glad this forum exists to know I’m not alone.

Good luck to everyone!

Wow.. seems like many things are going on right now! If you don't mind, can you share which school you'd applied to? Also.. was phone interview an official one? thanks alot! 

On 1/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, PsyduckLady said:

Hey everyone!! Happy New Year!! For this application cycle, I applied to Ohio State, Michigan State, and Case Western. I'm so nervous and I keep checking these application portals every day ? Wishing everyone well! 

I think you don't need to check the portal cus they immediately sent you a decision mail right away. Finger crossed! 

On 1/3/2023 at 7:36 AM, imherebecauseiam said:

I also went to Columbia for my MSW and graduated May 22. You actually have a higher chance of getting in because of your credentials. I would actually recommend snooping around to see which professors teach PhD students and if some of those Professors align with your interests! They could potentially be your advocate since PhD programs are less about grades/stats and more so about compatibility with faculty. 

Thanks for your information. I'm an international and applied PhD at CSSW. Do you happen to know if there is an interview for PhD applicants? Because some say there is no interview for PhD applicants at CSSW, but I can see an interview section on the application portal, which confuses me.

31 minutes ago, Baki_ki said:

Has anyone been offered an interview or heard about it? I think they usually do interviews at the end of January, but I haven't heard from any school.. :(

I also haven't heard from any school yet (applied 6 schools).  It gets me on edge.?

3 hours ago, Baki_ki said:

Has anyone been offered an interview or heard about it? I think they usually do interviews at the end of January, but I haven't heard from any school.. :(

While I've gotten one rejection, the other schools I've applied to haven't reached out to me for interviews yet either. 

5 hours ago, Baki_ki said:

I applied more than 10 and haven't heard any of them (rejected 1 school among them). 

On 1/8/2023 at 8:48 PM, Junejune said:

Wow.. seems like many things are going on right now! If you don't mind, can you share which school you'd applied to? Also.. was phone interview an official one? thanks alot! 

This is a response to my above earlier post. I applied to Mizzou, SLU, and WashU, all in Missouri. I have not heard from Mizzou or WashU. My talk mentioned above was with the director of the PhD social work program at SLU and it was casual but we discussed everything you would expect such as info about the program and research interest. I received a call today I was accepted to SLU, I’m just waiting on the official paperwork. The out of state schools I applied to were University of Denver and University of TN. I was waitlisted without an interview by one. The other is the one who told me they need more time to make decisions this year. 

Good luck to everyone!

Hey, international student here, submitted 11 applications for Fall 2023, 9 PhD programs in Social Work and 2 in Social Policy...

No interviews yet (not official ones at least), no decision... What the heck is happening? Most schools are telling me results will be back in March... Honestly I can't handle two more months of freaking out, anyone else?

Edited by The_Anxious_Social_Worker

15 hours ago, The_Anxious_Social_Worker said:

Hey, international student here, submitted 11 applications for Fall 2023, 9 PhD programs in Social Work and 2 in Social Policy...

No interviews yet (not official ones at least), no decision... What the heck is happening? Most schools are telling me results will be back in March... Honestly I can't handle two more months of freaking out, anyone else?

Same....8 left with radio silence

22 minutes ago, callmedoc said:

Same....8 left with radio silence

I am so sorry! Hang in there, hopefully decisions will start coming mid-February? I will post a list of the schools I applied below (by order of application, not preference):

1. The University at Buffalo - PhD Social Welfare

2. Northwestern University - PhD in Human Development and Social Policy

3. Columbia University - PhD in Social Work (this one I expect to be rejected for sure)

4. University of Michigan - Joint PhD program in Social Work & Sociology (pretty sure it'll be another reject)

5. University of Pittsburgh -  PhD in Social Work

6. Rutgers University -  PhD in Social Work

7. Boston College -  PhD in Social Work

8. WashU-  PhD in Social Work

9. Boston University -  PhD in Social Work

10. Heller School -  PhD in Social Policy

11. University of Alabama - PhD Social Work  

Do you have any of those in your list? I have only done informal talks with faculty and program directors, if anyone gets invited for official interviews, please let us know! Hope it helps. 

Edited by The_Anxious_Social_Worker

3 minutes ago, The_Anxious_Social_Worker said:

I am so sorry! Hang in there, hopefully decisions will start coming mid-February? I will post a list of the schools I applied below (by order of application, not preference):

1. The University at Buffalo - PhD Social Welfare

2. Northwestern University - PhD in Human Development and Social Policy

3. Columbia University - PhD in Social Work (this one I expect to be rejected for sure)

4. University of Michigan - Joint PhD program in Social Work & Sociology (pretty sure it'll be another reject)

5. University of Pittsburgh -  PhD in Social Work

6. Rutgers University -  PhD in Social Work

7. Boston College -  PhD in Social Work

8. WashU-  PhD in Social Work

9. Boston University -  PhD in Social Work

10. Heller School -  PhD in Social Policy

11. University of Alabama - PhD Social Work  

Do you have any of those in your list? I have only done informal talks with faculty and program directors, if anyone gets invited for official interviews, please let us know! Hope it helps. 

Thank you for sharing! I applied 4, 5, 8, 9 too AND there are no interview process except for BU.

Just now, callmedoc said:

Thank you for sharing! I applied 4, 5, 8, 9 too AND there are no interview process except for BU.

You're welcome! POI at WashU told me through email that shortlisted candidates would be called for interviews in Feb., I guess we have to wait to find out! 

1 minute ago, The_Anxious_Social_Worker said:

You're welcome! POI at WashU told me through email that shortlisted candidates would be called for interviews in Feb., I guess we have to wait to find out! 

Oh did you ask to POI that expected admission timeline? and not sure if WashU has an interview...