Questions asked/to ask in interviews -PhD Applications

sms1023

I don't really know what to ask or what to expect from departmental interviews for PhD programs, so I thought this might be a good thread for those who have experience interviewing and/or want to post some examples of questions they have come up with for respective departmental interviews. 

Some things that I would ask given past experiences in my MA program:

- Are there many opportunities for interdisciplinary study in the PhD program? Working with professors outside the department to supplement research?

- What types of research opportunities are available to PhD students in this department? 

- Could you describe the teaching fellowship in detail? Are introductory level courses the only available Teaching Assistantship positions?

- For PhD students entering with an MA in the field, is there an accelerated track for completion of the program? Is this advisable?

- What types of support (financial, professional, etc...) does the department offer their students? 

- Is there a designated career officer in the department that assists students with future placements?

These are just some questions that I have come up with but I would be interested in seeing if others have any questions they bring to interviews OR, for those who have interviewed, what questions were you asked??

1 hour ago, SydneyS22 said:

I don't really know what to ask or what to expect from departmental interviews for PhD programs, so I thought this might be a good thread for those who have experience interviewing and/or want to post some examples of questions they have come up with for respective departmental interviews. 

Some things that I would ask given past experiences in my MA program:

- Are there many opportunities for interdisciplinary study in the PhD program? Working with professors outside the department to supplement research?

- What types of research opportunities are available to PhD students in this department? 

- Could you describe the teaching fellowship in detail? Are introductory level courses the only available Teaching Assistantship positions?

- For PhD students entering with an MA in the field, is there an accelerated track for completion of the program? Is this advisable?

- What types of support (financial, professional, etc...) does the department offer their students? 

- Is there a designated career officer in the department that assists students with future placements?

These are just some questions that I have come up with but I would be interested in seeing if others have any questions they bring to interviews OR, for those who have interviewed, what questions were you asked??

These all look good to me, except maybe #2 since any student should have explored these opportunities prior to applying. One question that is very important to ask would be about professional development opportunities: do they provide workshops on applying for tenure-track positions? Do they offer help with job search? You could also ask questions about the alumni network (is there one at all?). Another important question to ask is their employment stats. Where are recent grad students? How many land tenure-track jobs? How many are working outside academia? Do they offer professional development opportunities for people who end up working in "industry"? Finally, I would be very candid about finding out how long people stay in the program and what happens if you extend your stay beyond the available time frame for funding. MANY students take more than 5 years before graduating, so it's important to know if there is any additional funding beyond the existing funding structure.

TBH, I think the interviews are generally set up for them to ask YOU questions –– not for you to grill them about the program, support, placement records, etc. That type of grilling would be more appropriate once you are accepted and are trying to decide where to go.

You would do well to ask general questions about advising, composition of committees, etc., but do NOT ask questions that you can look up on the website. (e.g., "For PhD students entering with an MA in the field, is there an accelerated track for completion of the program? Is this advisable?")

Update: I’ve had two interviews (one with director of admissions for dept. and one with POI). The questions they asked were largely: what are your research interests, what do you intend to pursue professionally, etc.. much of the conversation surrounded my questions. I asked about the sense community in the department, financial opportunities/support, teaching fellowships, and typical time for students to complete PhD. 

32 minutes ago, courbet said:

Do all programs have an interview process? Little unsure of how everything works and I’m getting a bit nervous because I haven’t heard anything from anyone. TIA! 

I don’t think every program has interviews. I only applied to three and only one has interviews as far as I know!