HELP! PhD advisor leaving....what to do?

PhDdreamin

I just finished the first semester of my PhD program and everything was progressing great. Then, my advisor dropped the news they were leaving my current institution for a new one. I do not want to move to the new institution for various reasons both professional and personal, but there is no one else at my current institution using the methodology I am interested in. 

Although I have only completed a semester, I have collected lots of data, and was on track to propose my thesis next semester. It seems my current options are to fast track my thesis and Master out of my current program and pursue the PhD somewhere else entirely, or follow my advisor to a program I don't really want to go to. It seems obvious what I should do, but I don't know if completing the master's with my current project is really possible at this point.

Any advice welcomed!

One semester is really early to already have even an idea for your dissertation at most programs. Are there other faculty at your current institution whose work you are interested in? This might be an opportunity to expand your horizons and round out your research portfolio. You can likely keep working with and being mentored by your current advisor after they leave and then also explore new work with a new advisor.

In considering the institution the advisor is moving to, what are the particular reasons you don't want to transfer?

It seems like you have some idea of rushing through your PhD in very few years. Why would you do that? What kind of position do you want afterwards? Generally, you will be judged for the rest of your career on your graduation date, so the more you can delay that, the more competitive you will be in the future (giving yourself more time to publish, gain skills, gain connections, etc.).

@t_ruthSorry, my language may have been confusing in my earlier post. In my current program, we get a Master's along the way to the PhD. When I mentioned my thesis above I was referring to the Master's proposal. My current program has given me the option of receiving a terminal master's degree given the current situation. So essentially, I would be completing a Master's at this school as if I was just in a master's program, and then applying to other schools for their PhD programs next cycle and coming in as a student with a master's degree to start in Fall 2024. I do not want to rush my PhD!

In regard to transferring, I just moved my family to this current city six months ago. We chose this location to be closer to family, job opportunity for my partner, and good cultural location for us. The new institution is in a quintessential college town with less opportunity for my partner. In addition, it is not a Psychology or Neuroscience program that my advisor is moving to, but rather a more specialized department with more clinically oriented students. While I have been assured by my department head and other faculty that I could get a job in academia in my chosen department with a PhD from a different specialty as long as I publish in relevant journals, it still worries me to switch program focuses in that way. 

Ah, yes. I totally understand. When I chose my PhD program, job opps for my partner were among the reasons.

If there are other institutions in the same city that are appealing to you, you don't need to wait until you get the Masters to apply. You can apply to those next fall while you continue to make progress in your current program. Why risk losing all programs? However, I wouldn't underestimate the benefit of staying at a program where they acknowledge you got a bum deal...they might be more than willing to make up for it with things like extra mentoring, travel funding, different opportunities, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Given what you have said, I recommend completing your master's and applying elsewhere in your city OR try to see if there's anyone who you can find any common ground with. Try meeting with faculty. A lot of them are more flexible than it may originally appear, particularly in situations like this. 

I am so sorry, as that is definitely a really bum deal. Even though your faculty isn’t going to be part of your institution anymore, is it possible for them to serve as an outside collaborator on your work? I’ve known people whose dissertation committee chairs left for other universities and they were able to at least serve as a committee member and assist in the process. Before jumping ship, I would speak with your advisor who is leaving as well as the program head to see what exactly can be done to ensure you are still on track. If you haven’t done so already. Also, make sure to get all of it in writing.