UPenn GSE 2023

eduforall

@mintchocol8e Apparently, yes! What other unis are you applying to? 

Regarding UPenn: Did you go to the UPenn Open House last October? Did you meet any professor? What PhD program are you interested in?

I'm interested in the PhD in Educational Linguistics. Each PhD only accepts one or two students btw!

3 minutes ago, eduforall said:

@mintchocol8e Apparently, yes! What other unis are you applying to? 

Regarding UPenn: Did you go to the UPenn Open House last October? Did you meet any professor? What PhD program are you interested in?

I'm interested in the PhD in Educational Linguistics. Each PhD only accepts one or two students btw!

Unfortunately, I couldn’t go because I moved abroad a couple of years ago. But did you get a chance to attend? How was it?

I’m interested in the Education, Culture, and Society program. And yes, I‘ve heard of how competitive these programs are. So few places! Good luck to everyone!

21 minutes ago, mintchocol8e said:

Unfortunately, I couldn’t go because I moved abroad a couple of years ago. But did you get a chance to attend? How was it?

I’m interested in the Education, Culture, and Society program. And yes, I‘ve heard of how competitive these programs are. So few places! Good luck to everyone!

Oh I see! Yes I did attend the Open House, and it was a little too short in my opinion (compared to the 2 day open house at HGSE). Nevertheless, I learned that applications at UPenn must be tailored for a specific professor, because they are the one choosing who they want to work with for the next 5 to 7 years. They also said that they were pretty strict with grades (GPA and GRE results) in order to maintain their #1 position...

Edited by eduforall

Hello! For those of you who have applied to Penn for one of the PhD programs, I checked the GradCafe results to see what dates people posted saying that they received an invitation for an interview. I know that the results might not be fully accurate (since some people might have posted at a later date, some might have been in different time zones, etc.), but here is what I’ve found. It seems as though applicants in previous years have been invited to an interview weekend. These are the dates when people posted about an interview:

Fall 2022: One person on Thursday, January 13; one person on Friday, January 14; and one person on Friday, January 28

Fall 2021: Two people on Friday, January 22, and one person on Monday, January 25

Fall 2020: Three people on Friday, January 17, and one person on Monday, January 20

Fall 2019: Four people on Friday, January 18

Then there is nothing posted for Fall 2018 or Fall 2017. The results do go back several years more, but I stopped checking for dates that fall before Fall 2013. The few posted for Fall 2013, 2015, and 2016 were all on a Thursday or Friday though.

What I’ve found is that it appears as though interview invitations for Penn GSE’s PhD programs tend to start going out in the third week of January, generally on a Thursday or Friday (most likely Friday).

Based on this, I think that this year’s invitations MIGHT go out on Friday, January 20, and Monday, January 23. Let’s see what actually happens though!

Thanks for the dates @mintchocol8e! My status still just shows submitted, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong portal or should just let go, and wait for an email to notify me. 

Although... A couple years ago I got into a master's program and they LOST my application for 3 months? I received an acceptance and apology in July.. after I had already relocated across the country for a different master's program. So maybe I should figure this out ?

In either case, I found a great reddit thread about things to do instead of fretting about apps. I just checked out some audiobooks from the library to keep my mind engaged in something besides wondering when interview invites will/won't come! Here's the thread in case it helps. 

Hello everyone,

I hope you all are coping well with the nervousness!!

I'm wondering, since they sent out interview invitations on the 13th and the 14th last year, does anyone think it's possible they'll send out the invitations Thursday and Friday this week? Or is it safer to think that it will come out next week as the third Friday seems to be when they had been traditionally starting to send out?

11 hours ago, weallgotthis said:

I’m wondering, since they sent out interview invitations on the 13th and the 14th last year, does anyone think it's possible they'll send out the invitations Thursday and Friday this week?

Oh, I just realized that it will be Friday the 13th! ?

Edit #1: I only meant to say that the 13th falls on a Friday this month, not that emails will go out that day necessarily, though I have heard of some schools sending out mass rejections on Valentine’s Day. So brutal! Lol

Edit #2: Sorry, I’m editing this to avoid adding multiple posts BUT I just realized something. If you take a look at this three-year academic calendar for UPenn, you’ll notice that the Spring 2021 term began on Wednesday, January 20, and the earliest posting I could find among the GradCafe results about an interview was from two days later on Friday, January 22. Then last year, the Spring 2022 term began on Wednesday, January 12, and the earliest interview posting on GradCafe that I could find was from the next day, which was Thursday, January 13. This year, classes are set to begin TODAY, January 11. Earlier, I had thought that it was about the third week of the month, but now I realize that it probably has to do more with the start of the spring semester. @weallgotthis, I think you’re right that people might indeed start hearing back in the next few days!

Edited by mintchocol8e

7 hours ago, mintchocol8e said:

Edit #1: I only meant to say that the 13th falls on a Friday this month, not that emails will go out that day necessarily, though I have heard of some schools sending out mass rejections on Valentine’s Day. So brutal! Lol

Edit #2: Sorry, I’m editing this to avoid adding multiple posts BUT I just realized something. If you take a look at this three-year academic calendar for UPenn, you’ll notice that the Spring 2021 term began on Wednesday, January 20, and the earliest posting I could find among the GradCafe results about an interview was from two days later on Friday, January 22. Then last year, the Spring 2022 term began on Wednesday, January 12, and the earliest interview posting on GradCafe that I could find was from the next day, which was Thursday, January 13. This year, classes are set to begin TODAY, January 11. Earlier, I had thought that it was about the third week of the month, but now I realize that it probably has to do more with the start of the spring semester. @weallgotthis, I think you’re right that people might indeed start hearing back in the next few days!

Thank you so much for your great analysis!! I'm so nervous knowing that the interview invitations are actually about to happen soon. Wish everyone a good luck.

13 hours ago, mintchocol8e said:

Wow, interesting!! All I know is I need to find some things to keep me busy the next few days. Phew! We got this!! *begins shaking nervously* lol

2 hours ago, Celia0820 said:

Did the invites send out at the same time? For example, if one didn't receive it earlier today, will she/he have the chance to get one still later today or this week? What was the previous years' data pattern look like?

If you look back at one of my earlier posts from a few days ago on this page, you’ll notice that I found out the following:

Fall 2022: One person on Thursday, January 13; one person on Friday, January 14; and one person on Friday, January 28

Fall 2021: Two people on Friday, January 22, and one person on Monday, January 25

Fall 2020: Three people on Friday, January 17, and one person on Monday, January 20

Fall 2019: Four people on Friday, January 18

Based on this, I think that it’s not all on the same day and that there’s still a chance to hear back if we haven’t already (unless of course if people submitted their results to GradCafe late).

21 hours ago, Creamsoda said:

Thank you ? Just received an email about it today - Jan 28.

Congrats! I got an invite too. See you on campus on 28th?. I guess it'll be a bit weird to meet people applying to my program (LST) though. ??️

Hi all, congrats on those who will be attending UPenn's doctoral weekend. I wonder whether some folks are invited to participate in person, whereas others are interviewed online? Does the mode of communication signal anything like admission chances or just preference of various programs? Might anyone know more about the logistics? I'm curious about the differences! Thanks and wish you all the best luck on your paths!

Edited by Celia0820