MPH 2023 Canada

PHWarrior

On 4/22/2023 at 12:24 PM, Hepomene said:

Is anyone deciding between SFU and UBC? really need some advice I’m so torn lol 

I know someone who did the MPH program at UBC and they really enjoyed it. She picked the program over SFU, and it’s one of the top schools in Canada. Hope this helps!

8 hours ago, purplegiraffe22 said:

I know someone who did the MPH program at UBC and they really enjoyed it. She picked the program over SFU, and it’s one of the top schools in Canada. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!! I’m an international student and I’ve never been to any Canadian universities, so I don’t know much about the situation there. UBC is more renowned globally I guess? I heard that both schools are very reputable locally, just curious is any of them more reputable than the other?

13 hours ago, Hepomene said:

Thank you so much!! I’m an international student and I’ve never been to any Canadian universities, so I don’t know much about the situation there. UBC is more renowned globally I guess? I heard that both schools are very reputable locally, just curious is any of them more reputable than the other?

I'm from Vancouver, so I know both schools pretty well. I did my undergrad at SFU though. UBC is definitely more reputable than SFU as it is the second best university in Canada (ranked after University of Toronto). SFU is ranked 12th. It really just depends on you for which school you want to go in the end. Vancouver is expensive in terms of living in general (lol), so that is a factor to consider when you arrive, but if you have a chance to go to UBC, it would be a good experience! The campus is really beautiful, and I'm sure you will love it too. SFU campus is not as nice, but I didn't regret doing my undergrad there as I met some great people in my life (professors and friends). Both are commuter schools, so it's hard to make friends, but if you're living on residence, I think it shouldn't be an issue! Hope that helps! 🙂

Edited by jzysan

On 4/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, jzysan said:

I'm from Vancouver, so I know both schools pretty well. I did my undergrad at SFU though. UBC is definitely more reputable than SFU as it is the second best university in Canada (ranked after University of Toronto). SFU is ranked 12th. It really just depends on you for which school you want to go in the end. Vancouver is expensive in terms of living in general (lol), so that is a factor to consider when you arrive, but if you have a chance to go to UBC, it would be a good experience! The campus is really beautiful, and I'm sure you will love it too. SFU campus is not as nice, but I didn't regret doing my undergrad there as I met some great people in my life (professors and friends). Both are commuter schools, so it's hard to make friends, but if you're living on residence, I think it shouldn't be an issue! Hope that helps! 🙂

Thank you so much!!

8 hours ago, allydaagator said:

Seems like Waterloo woke up again- I have just been waitlisted. I already accepted elsewhere though, so it'll free up a extra spot. 

Thank you for letting us know! I logged into Quest after seeing your message and I have been waitlisted as well.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, Hepomene said:

What was the last date for the initial deposit for UBC?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the waitlist for Brock MPH program. Is there any chances of getting into the program at this point or anywaitlist movement? I've tried reaching out the admissions, but they are vague about waitlist positions, I'm curious to know how many people actually get off of the waitlist and how many are admitted to brock this year? 

Hi all and congratulations - you all worked so hard to get to this point. Soak it up and get ready for this new adventure and step up in your professional journey. 

I'm a mature student and wondering if this is the right place to ask.. I applied to the MPH (Health Promotion stream) at U of T. I applied at the ripe old age of 35 and out of school for a while so I was missing the stats requirement - I took an online course through Athabasca but don't feel confident it met the requirements. I haven't heard back from admissions but assuming I did not get in.

I will definitely reapply again next year. It was honestly a HUGE accomplishment for me to even get to this point. That I was able to apply after graduating from undergrad more than 10 years ago. I took a number of courses as a non-degree student during the pandemic at U of T to help strengthen my application but lets see what the future has in store for me.

Long story short - could you guys share which stat's course you took to meet the requirement, it would be so helpful. If you took them online, or at any one of the universities in the GTA -- would be really helpful.. So i can see to it that I get the stats requirement out of the way when I reapply next year. 

Thank you and congrats again! 

1 hour ago, n2000 said:

Hi all and congratulations - you all worked so hard to get to this point. Soak it up and get ready for this new adventure and step up in your professional journey. 

I'm a mature student and wondering if this is the right place to ask.. I applied to the MPH (Health Promotion stream) at U of T. I applied at the ripe old age of 35 and out of school for a while so I was missing the stats requirement - I took an online course through Athabasca but don't feel confident it met the requirements. I haven't heard back from admissions but assuming I did not get in.

I will definitely reapply again next year. It was honestly a HUGE accomplishment for me to even get to this point. That I was able to apply after graduating from undergrad more than 10 years ago. I took a number of courses as a non-degree student during the pandemic at U of T to help strengthen my application but lets see what the future has in store for me.

Long story short - could you guys share which stat's course you took to meet the requirement, it would be so helpful. If you took them online, or at any one of the universities in the GTA -- would be really helpful.. So i can see to it that I get the stats requirement out of the way when I reapply next year. 

Thank you and congrats again! 

Hey, great to hear that you have decided to embark on this journey! :) I wish you all the best of luck and I am sure you will get in. 

You should email Suzanne Jackson (program director) and she will tell you if you are on waitlist or will get admitted or not this year.

I took Math 215 (from Athabasca University). Since the acceptance rate for this program is 10%, make sure that you get at least A- to make your application stronger. For someone who applied to the program for two consecutive years and asked for feedback from current students and Suzanne herself. Make sure you explicitly mention what exactly you want to achieve as a result of the program and how will this program enable you to achieve your desired goals. Be as explicit as you can and do your background research on the program/school and the courses it offers. I got in this year after following those two rules. As mentioned on their website, the letter of intent really makes or breaks your application, so make sure you communicate your passion and vision clearly to them and of course the reference letters should also validate that you care about public health and want to make a difference. 

3 hours ago, Popcorn21 said:

Hey, great to hear that you have decided to embark on this journey! :) I wish you all the best of luck and I am sure you will get in. 

You should email Suzanne Jackson (program director) and she will tell you if you are on waitlist or will get admitted or not this year.

I took Math 215 (from Athabasca University). Since the acceptance rate for this program is 10%, make sure that you get at least A- to make your application stronger. For someone who applied to the program for two consecutive years and asked for feedback from current students and Suzanne herself. Make sure you explicitly mention what exactly you want to achieve as a result of the program and how will this program enable you to achieve your desired goals. Be as explicit as you can and do your background research on the program/school and the courses it offers. I got in this year after following those two rules. As mentioned on their website, the letter of intent really makes or breaks your application, so make sure you communicate your passion and vision clearly to them and of course the reference letters should also validate that you care about public health and want to make a difference. 

Did you take this course after graduating? I'm planning on taking an additional stats course but was wondering how to reference the course on the stats requirement form since it wouldn't be on my undergrad transcript. 

4 minutes ago, soolp said:

Did you take this course after graduating? I'm planning on taking an additional stats course but was wondering how to reference the course on the stats requirement form since it wouldn't be on my undergrad transcript. 

Hey yes, i took after graduation. You will get an unofficial transcript from the school you will take the course from and UofT usually asks for a form that they provide you where you can list what course you took, from where and what was your grade including your syllabus that you can attach to your application.

3 minutes ago, Popcorn21 said:

Hey yes, i took after graduation. You will get an unofficial transcript from the school you will take the course from and UofT usually asks for a form that they provide you where you can list what course you took, from where and what was your grade including your syllabus that you can attach to your application.

Oh I see, thank you so much! Was it something you attached to the Academic History section of the portal or to the stats requirement form?