Fall 2023 Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition/Studies

hsyg6182

Thought I'd start a topic to see if anyone else wants to talk / share information.

So far for me:

Michigan State - interview and then rejected

Northern Arizona - interview scheduled

George State - nothing as of yet

Hawaii - nothing as of yet

Pittsburgh - nothing as of yet

Hi, 

I’m glad you started this discussion. 
I applied to 3 programs, but I only heard from the university I’m currently doing my master’s. 

UIUC - accepted 

University of Maryland - Nothing yet. 

Arizona State - Nothing yet. 

Edited by IvanC
Typo

On 2/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, niznizl said:

My anxiety is building up...

I know the feeling. I just finished an interview. Was told I'd hear about results in "2 weeks". That always seems to be the waitlist rejection phrase, at least in my experience.

Looking at all the previous year's information I'm thinking no more requests are coming in unless it is early next week. But you never know, I got a really late interview invite to Michigan State, well after the usually schedule and everyone else's experience.

Hi, thank you for creating the thread!

Michigan State- rejected

Maryland - interviewed, but not optimistic

South Florida - interviewed and in waitlist (saw someone got an offer )

Ohio - accepted 

Also applied other programs, but heard of nothing.

8 hours ago, DanniZ said:

Ohio - accepted 

There is still a bit of time, and you've had some interviews so you might have one or two more options. It's probably a relief to have at least one option.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:17 PM, DanniZ said:

Hi, thank you for creating the thread!

Michigan State- rejected

Maryland - interviewed, but not optimistic

South Florida - interviewed and in waitlist (saw someone got an offer )

Ohio - accepted 

I’m glad you were interviewed by Maryland. Did you apply for the Applied Linguistics and Language Education Ph.D. in the College of Education or did you apply for the Ph.D. in Linguistics in the Department of Linguistics? 

Congratulations on your admittance to Ohio! 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:08 PM, hsyg6182 said:

I know the feeling. I just finished an interview. Was told I'd hear about results in "2 weeks". That always seems to be the waitlist rejection phrase, at least in my experience.

Looking at all the previous year's information I'm thinking no more requests are coming in unless it is early next week. But you never know, I got a really late interview invite to Michigan State, well after the usually schedule and everyone else's experience.

I wouldn’t say this is s rejection phrase. I know my advisor says it to everyone after he interviews them. My advisor is the director of my program, so I’d say it’s a pretty standard phrase that doesn’t mean much!

12 minutes ago, IvanC said:

Did you apply for the Applied Linguistics and Language Education Ph.D. in the College of Education or did you apply for the Ph.D. in Linguistics in the Department of Linguistics? 

My PhD program is Second Language Acquisition in the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures.

14 hours ago, DanniZ said:

My PhD program is Second Language Acquisition in the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures.

Got it! I heard it’s an excellent program. 

On 2/12/2023 at 8:24 PM, IvanC said:

I wouldn’t say this is s rejection phrase. I know my advisor says it to everyone after he interviews them. My advisor is the director of my program, so I’d say it’s a pretty standard phrase that doesn’t mean much!

Got word back today and that was pretty much a polite rejection. So, that looks like the end of the road for me. Out of five schools I got five rejections. Not looking forward to doing this again next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Happy to have found this topic.

Ivan, I'm brazilian too, it's nice to see you've been active on this forum 🙂

So this cycle I applied to some rhetoric and composition programs and to two SLA/APPLING programs (I'm interested in second language writing and multilingual writers identity, thus my research could fit well both fields).

These are the 2 programs I applied to:

MSU SLS - no interview, rejection;

Penn State Applied Linguistics - no interview, no word yet... I am considering a rejection too, but would like to be sure. Someone posted on the results page that they got an interview there.

Has anyone heard from Penn State? Good luck everyone and hopefully we can keep our sanity until April 15th.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, hsyg6182 said:

Got word back today and that was pretty much a polite rejection. So, that looks like the end of the road for me. Out of five schools I got five rejections. Not looking forward to doing this again next year.

I'm so really sorry to hear that, hsyg6182 🥺 Don't give up. Try different schools next year! 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, conswrtng said:

Hey guys!

Happy to have found this topic.

Ivan, I'm brazilian too, it's nice to see you've been active on this forum 🙂

So this cycle I applied to some rhetoric and composition programs and to two SLA/APPLING programs (I'm interested in second language writing and multilingual writers identity, thus my research could fit well both fields).

These are the 2 programs I applied to:

MSU SLS - no interview, rejection;

Penn State Applied Linguistics - no interview, no word yet... I am considering a rejection too, but would like to be sure. Someone posted on the results page that they got an interview there.

Has anyone heard from Penn State? Good luck everyone and hopefully we can keep our sanity until April 15th.

Hi, Conswrtng! Nice "meeting" you! I have never talked to another Brazilian here. This site is very helpful. I've been here since I applied to the MA in 2020 :) 

Keep me posted about your apps. I hope you get in!