Anybody else have this problem?

AmericanStudies

I will be applying to PhD programs this fall. I have encountered a small setback: sometimes when I email a professor at a program I am interested in, I get no reply. I send a formal, polite, inquisitive email with what you would expect: a little bit about me, my research interests, explaining why I am interested in the program and them in praticular, and asking if they are taking on new graduate students. About half of the professors I have emailed do just not bother to respond. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I will be applying to PhD programs this fall. I have encountered a small setback: sometimes when I email a professor at a program I am interested in, I get no reply. I send a formal, polite, inquisitive email with what you would expect: a little bit about me, my research interests, explaining why I am interested in the program and them in praticular, and asking if they are taking on new graduate students. About half of the professors I have emailed do just not bother to respond. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, this happens. Professors are really busy and sometimes they forget or don't have the time to respond to an email from a prospective student. Perhaps you could try emailing a grad student of the grad program director if you have questions that need to be answered. I wouldn't email a prof who hasn't replied again though.

Here's your first lesson of graduate school: Don't take these lack of responses personally and move on.

Just apply anyway and write the SOP to the best of your ability based on what you know about these professors and their departments. You can also guess the likelihood of the professor being able to take on a new student by looking at the graduate students' page if it lists their advisers. 4+ graduate students = don't get too excited, especially if few or none are ABD.

I've had the same thing and my undergrad adviser said that it is just how the game is played. Some will see the subject line and just delete it, others will e-mail quickly and enthusiastically, etc. I would say that last year's cycle I had about half respond. This year, even less. We'll see!