Old Powerprep Software?

history_PhD

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm looking into applying for doctoral programs in history (hence, the sobriquet). I've registered for the GRE and am taking it next week. The Powerprep software I downloaded from the ETS website has questions from the new GRE though: there are no analogies, the sentence completion sections are different, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has the old software. It seems silly to do practice tests that are unlike the actual test I'll be taking. Or, am I wrong and has the test already changed; I think that is supposed to happen next year though.

Also, are there other websites that have practice tests besides Princeton Review?

Thanks!

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm looking into applying for doctoral programs in history (hence, the sobriquet). I've registered for the GRE and am taking it next week. The Powerprep software I downloaded from the ETS website has questions from the new GRE though: there are no analogies, the sentence completion sections are different, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows of a website that has the old software. It seems silly to do practice tests that are unlike the actual test I'll be taking. Or, am I wrong and has the test already changed; I think that is supposed to happen next year though.

Also, are there other websites that have practice tests besides Princeton Review?

Thanks!

The new questions will be on the GRE you take there may not be an entire section devoted to them but they will be on it and count towards your score.

The new questions will be on the GRE you take there may not be an entire section devoted to them but they will be on it and count towards your score.

Mm i'd have to disagree. If you're getting numeric entry questions etc...then you're probably using the powerprep II software. You should not see any of the new type of questions on any tests before the official change next august (they're all over the experimental sections however). They don't explicitly state this, but I'm pretty confident that there won't be since I've recently taken the exam.

As for your powerprep issue, I'm willing to bet you accidentally downloaded the new powerprep II software. The old one is still on the ets website, you're probably just looking in the wrong place. I found a powerprep for the new one and a separate one for the old one, just make sure you're getting the old one. Best of luck on your exam!

Edited by ahuynh

To reiterate what a few other people have said, you are working off of the Powerprep II software which will not reflect your test. The test that Powerprep II is modeled after will not be given until August of 2011. Simply download the original Powerprep software and you will be ready to prep.

Not only is Powerprep II NOT reflected on the current GRE, I got the very distinct impression that Powerprep II is a sort of "light" version.

It only gives out a RANGE of scores, and the questions seemed way too easy.

For example, I scored a RANGE of 690-800 on both tests in Powerprep II.

I wouldn't trust it until ETS refines it a bit more, which they won't have much incentive to do until the advent of the new test is closer, i.e., I'd guess sometime about April 2011 or so, Powerprep II will be fully fleshed out and useful if you're taking the NEW GRE.

John