Help, please, to an international applicant

I am asked to outline the intellectual history that informs my decision to pursue graduate study.

I was wondering if it refers to my past experience in intellectual studies or interest. I'm not sure about this term, because in our culture this means the history of something really big, like the development history of a nation, for instance.

I was further asked in what historical period(s), body of texts, and/or mode(s) of inquiry I was particularly interested.

Please give me some explanation and advice, thanks a million.

Edited by wendychina

I am asked to outline the intellectual history that informs my decision to pursue graduate study.

I was wondering if it refers to my past experience in intellectual studies or interest. I'm not sure about this term, because in our culture this means the history of something really big, like the development history of a nation, for instance.

I was further asked in what historical period(s), body of texts, and/or mode(s) of inquiry I was particularly interested.

Please give me some explanation and advice, thanks a million.

I would say that this is more YOUR intellectual history: the types of intellectual problems/issues intrigue you; what methodologies you are interested in; any formative research experiences you have had; and any scholars/works that you find interesting.