MPP/MPA 2011 Applicants

Hello all,

I'm a MPA/ID re-applicant for 2011 cycle (rejected in 2010). Just curious, does anyone know if we will be notified sooner than mid/late March since the application deadline was pushed forward a full month this year? Otherwise, I think we're about half way through the waiting...

Everyone pretty much done with their apps? My final deadline was January 15th and my third recommender got her letter in on the 14th, whew! It was a bit anticlimactic. Not sure what to do with myself now! Anyone have any issues with the process or did all go smoothly? I wonder when we'll start hearing.. I'm ready to know now!!!

Everyone pretty much done with their apps? My final deadline was January 15th and my third recommender got her letter in on the 14th, whew! It was a bit anticlimactic. Not sure what to do with myself now! Anyone have any issues with the process or did all go smoothly? I wonder when we'll start hearing.. I'm ready to know now!!!

Berkeley said they'd be sending admission notices out by mid-March so I'd expect to hear from all of the schools either late February or early to mid March. Its gonna be a long wait...

Anyone heard from LSE?

Having browsed previous posts, some people have heard as early as 10 January in previous years...

I'm still anxiously waiting...

I got into LSE Media and Communications MsC, but I was reinstating my app so I got it in really early. It's rolling, so you likely still have time. I also just got an e-mail from them saying they were really backlogged with everything, so I wouldn't worry.

Dear All

I have applied to the Fletcher School MALD program for Jan 15 deadline. I just received an email from the Admissions that my application is incomplete and that my official transcripts are missing. I had posted my transcripts a week and half back from Germany and was thinking that the post would reach the school in time.

I wonder if this mail was meant for me only or are they sending this message to everyone just to make sure that the applicants get to know the missing element of their application. I have gone through the Fletcher application online account and it shows that all the required material except for official transcripts has been received.

Thank you all in advance.

Dear All

I have applied to the Fletcher School MALD program for Jan 15 deadline. I just received an email from the Admissions that my application is incomplete and that my official transcripts are missing. I had posted my transcripts a week and half back from Germany and was thinking that the post would reach the school in time.

I wonder if this mail was meant for me only or are they sending this message to everyone just to make sure that the applicants get to know the missing element of their application. I have gone through the Fletcher application online account and it shows that all the required material except for official transcripts has been received.

Thank you all in advance.

I also applied to Fletcher. They have a really good admissions blog that you might want to check out: http://sites.tufts.edu/fletcheradmissions/category/general-admissions-news/.

I submitted my application before Christmas and there was about a two week period before they had everything listed as received.

Hi ,

I called Fletcher two days back! Because things like fee etc showed incomplete. However, they said by the end of next week , everything should be updated so i should call then. Their blog also says that as long as your online application is complete, they are OK with documents through post arriving by Feb 1st. So if there really is a problem and they still haven't received your transcripts at all you can probably send via something like dhl and they would receive it in 48 hrs or less.

I checked mine today after reading your post ! and everything is complete. so just relieved !

Thank CCH604 and Neha..

Thank you for your reaplies. I have just checked with the postal service and I am told that usually it takes 7-8 days for a post to reach the US from Germany. But some of my colleagues have also hinted that postal delivery may take nearly a month (unusual bot not impossible).. If I miss the January 15 deadline because my transcripts reach at a later date, I would definitely be considered for Feb 1 deadline but without financial aid consideration (please correct me if i am wrong.)

I must say Fletcher has been very supportive and has assured me that they are willing to wait for next few days..It wont be possible for me to send a fresh set of transcripts via DHL because am in Germany and dont have extra sets of transcripts anymore..I will have to go to India or ask somebody else to receive new trasncripts and the whole thing will drag on..

S

Hi ,

I called Fletcher two days back! Because things like fee etc showed incomplete. However, they said by the end of next week , everything should be updated so i should call then. Their blog also says that as long as your online application is complete, they are OK with documents through post arriving by Feb 1st. So if there really is a problem and they still haven't received your transcripts at all you can probably send via something like dhl and they would receive it in 48 hrs or less.

I checked mine today after reading your post ! and everything is complete. so just relieved !

The February 1st deadline is for documents that are mostly out of your control, such as letters, transcripts, and GRE scores. As long as you got your application with your essays and CV in by the January 15th deadline, as long as all the other stuff is in by Feb. 1, you'll still be considered for aid.

Am I a competitive applicant to the schools listed below? According to programs' websites, I am either above or just below the mean GRE scores and GPA of enrolled students. It's so difficult to know if one is overly confident or fits the bill...

Program Applied To (MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP/MPA

Schools Applied To: Duke Sanford, Michigan Ford, University of Maryland, University of Washington, Syracuse Maxwell

Schools Admitted To: None yet

Schools Rejected From: None yet

Still Waiting: all of the above

Undergraduate institution: Third tier university

Undergraduate GPA: 3.54

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.7

Undergraduate Major: Political Science, minor in Computer Information Systems

(Additionally, I've earned one graduate degree (M.A.) already from an international university affiliated with the United Nations and graduate with a high GPA.)

GRE Quantitative Score: 680

GRE Verbal Score: 580

GRE AW Score: 4 (I'm aware this detracts from my application)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4

Years of Work Experience: 2 years teaching environmental systems, 1 year int'l development experience, 1 year editing a small international relations journal

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Strong. I believe I clearly articulated my relevant experience and education. Do you ever really know though?

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Strong and diverse: 1 comes from my current boss, 1 from a graduate school professor, 1 from an undergraduate professor.

Program Applied To MPP/MPA

Schools Applied To: GWU (Trachtenberg School), Georgetown (GPPI), AU, (SPA) and LSE

Schools Admitted To:

Schools Rejected From:

Still Waiting: ALL!

Undergraduate institution: University of Salford (lowish ranking)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.6ish when converted

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): n/a

Undergraduate Major: Politics and Contemporary History

GRE Quantitative Score: 750

GRE Verbal Score: 560

GRE AW Score: 5.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 4.5

Years of Work Experience: 4.5

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 years in the US working for a gay equality organisation (legislation/workplace policy/program dev), 2 years in London working for another equality organisation (legislation/workplace and education policy/campaigning/youth empowerment) and now 6 months into year long grassroots development fellowship in India (inclusive education policy and implementation, plus i paint really good world maps on barren school walls).

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Started off difficult - a reiteration of my CV. Adapted it to bring in my philosophy on equality of opportunity, the importance of inspiration in education policy, and my collegiate attitude towards life and opportunities (signif leadership and volunteer positions) and attitude to service (I love GWU for their attitude to service). mentioned disability and other circumstances to match personal connection to equality and aspiration for better and more original policy making. For the one MPP&PA application, I focused also on policy implementation in three positions mentioned above, drawing specifically on problems implementing poor policy.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): Balanced letters - one academic, one professional, one extra cirricular (leadership and service focus). Academic reference is strong, focus on role as ambassador for university and excelling in certain relevant classes. I am very thankful for that one contact that I maintained. Professional focuses on work ethic and commitment to organisation/professionalism and passion (god i hate that work) for equality and the work that I do. Third from development work mentor - excellent focus on character, strength of ambition and attitude to work, service, and barriers to progress. I wanted rounded letters and I hope these help.

Other: worried about deadline. Applications were submitted on the deadline (all of them!) and my GRE scores and University transcripts (from the UK) were all sent before Christmas. I assume they arrived in time for the deadline, but all my updates indicate that the transcripts have not arrived yet (although the GRE scores have). Given that it's been nearly a month, and mail from the UK to the US normally takes a week, I'm a little worried. Any support on that or other peoples experience of this would be appreciated! Also, in awe of some of the scores and experiences that have been submitted!

Anyone have any idea of when we should be hearing back from GPPI? Their website says 4-6 weeks after submission of application but I've been waiting for longer than that now. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah, that is weird. I submitted back in November and haven't heard anything. Searching this board/results, it looks like a whole bunch of folks got notified on Feb 3rd of last year. So maybe week after next?

Program Applied To(MPA, MPP, IR, etc.): MPP and MPA

Schools Applied To: Berkeley's Goldman School of Public Policy, HKS, NYU Wagner, Columbia's SIPA

Schools Admitted To: None yet

Schools Rejected From: None yet

Still Waiting: all of the above

Undergraduate institution: Top ten LAC in Midwest

Undergraduate GPA: 3.85

Last 60 hours of Undergraduate GPA (if applicable): 3.85 ?

Undergraduate Major: English and Spanish literature

GRE Quantitative Score: 700 (70%)

GRE Verbal Score: 750 (99%)

GRE AW Score: 5.5 (94%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 5 by next September

Years of Work Experience: 5 years by next September (4 years of relevant experience)

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1 year as an editorial assistant at a small magazine (unrelated to policy), 1 year teaching English in Spain, 1 year grant writing and 2 years case management working with homeless clients and helping them access food stamps and other benefits (which is what I want to study)

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): I hope it's strong. I have a clear area of interest and a lot of knowledge about it from the direct service work I do now. I hope to study domestic social welfare policy and end up working for a city human services agency.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc):

2 academic references and 1 from my current supervisor. I know the academic ones are strong, but they are from an English and Spanish professor so I'm not sure how useful they will be to the admissions committee. My supervisor's is strong (I saw it) but is kind of brief...I don't think she has much experience writing these types of letters. I worry a little about using 2 academic references when I'm 5 years out of school. However, I'm still in touch with these professors and not really with the teachers I worked with in Spain or other people who might have been options. I noticed that HKS specifically asks for 2 work LOR and 1 academic one for someone with my length of work experience. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I won't be considered.

My other major worry is my quant background. My quant GRE score is not great, and I only took stats in college. I did do well in that class. I just finished up macroeconomics at a community college (and got an A) and am registered for microeconomics for the spring. I'm hoping showing this initiative will help, but I know this may keep me out. If that happens I can apply again next year with the actual grades from these classes under my belt (and maybe try to take the GRE again or enroll in calculus as well).

Good luck to everyone!

Any reason why you didn't apply to the Ford school? Their poverty policy program is great, and I'd think it'd be right up your alley given your interest.

Anyone have any idea of when we should be hearing back from GPPI? Their website says 4-6 weeks after submission of application but I've been waiting for longer than that now. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hey! I heard that they don't start reviewing any apps until after the priority deadline (Jan 17), so the site may actually mean 4-6 weeks after that deadline. Sorry I couldn't bring u better info, but trust me - I feel your pain! :)

Yay! USC app is complete! It's not reflected in my online app, but I got the email below today:

Thank you for submitting an application to the Master of Public Policy program. Your application has been processed and is now complete. The Office of Recruitment and Admissions will begin to mail decisions the first week of March .

Hello all,

I'm a MPA/ID re-applicant for 2011 cycle (rejected in 2010). Just curious, does anyone know if we will be notified sooner than mid/late March since the application deadline was pushed forward a full month this year? Otherwise, I think we're about half way through the waiting...

reapplying after getting waitlisted last year. emails went out March 19th last year, but I'm not optimistic that they're going to come out much sooner than that this year. I would suspect they pushed the deadline back to give themselves more time, since they are getting more applications for the program every year.