Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2010-2011

LisaRog

I know what you mean about narrowing the disciplines not necessarily bringing down the pool to 80, but remember that Poli Sci got 5 extra points this year.

If they cut the pool beyond the disciplines, the only way to do it would be to base it on scores. It would be too much work and too random to try to go through all those applications in such a short time.

I still think it is more likely that they started by looking through the pool, discussing it, and then coming up with a number that would fund the areas of inqury Mellon wanted to fund.

Anyway, you guys let me know what you hear tomorrow. I suspect we'll know soon.

quote name='Mooshel' timestamp='1310941251' post='262836']

this all sounds reasonable. but it could have played out in other ways as well. for instance, Mellon may have come up with the 80 fellowships number based on the amount of money they had ready and available to commit to the project. from there they may have asked IIE to review all fellowships that would have been awarded by DOE (and that fit Mellon's discipline criteria) and to choose 80 for funding. So, IIE needs to take the 130 students nominated by DOE and start narrowing the pool. The first cuts, i imagine, would be any application from a disciplines outside of Mellon's funding priority. okay, that is bound to narrow the pool, but i'm not sure you could narrow it enough this way. so, i guess what i'm saying is that there may be competition between eligible applications.

There are usually a huge amount of applicants and winners in anthropology. If they cut poli sci, sociology, etc and then only award the anthropology projects that have a strong humanities component that is easily 80/130.

Are you suggesting that well over half the original awardees could be anthropology folks?

I don't believe that could possibly be so.

There are usually a huge amount of applicants and winners in anthropology. If they cut poli sci, sociology, etc and then only award the anthropology projects that have a strong humanities component that is easily 80/130.

Of course not well over half! But 80/130 is about 60% meaning about 40% are being cut. Poli Sci + Econ together are usually 10- 20% but probably more with the 5 point bump this year and Anthro is usually 20-30%. And then there's Environmental Science, Ecology, Sociology etc etc.

Are you suggesting that well over half the original awardees could be anthropology folks?

I don't believe that could possibly be so.

I guess I don't follow your logic.

Of course not well over half! But 80/130 is about 60% meaning about 40% are being cut. Poli Sci + Econ together are usually 10- 20% but probably more with the 5 point bump this year and Anthro is usually 20-30%. And then there's Environmental Science, Ecology, Sociology etc etc.

Nevermind! I was only trying to say that based on recent year's stats, about 60% of awards are usually in the Humanities. This year it is probably less because the competitive priorities were outside of the Humanities. Anthropology seems like the only wild card since it is not a Humanities field but Mellon is considering it and it usually receives a relatively large percentage of the awards (second only to History). But many of those projects might not have a strong enough Humanities component for Mellon and cutting those could easily bring it back to 60ish%.

I guess I don't follow your logic.

Edited by olympia

i am in olympia's camp for the analysis. i think it's hopeful for anyone whose project was forwarded.

actually, i beg to differ, though, about anthropology. it's a diverse field, but many anthropological projects are strongly humanities oriented. for the most part, cultural anthropology's natural allies are history and area studies, i.e., literature departments, not sociology or poli sci or economics.

Nevermind! I was only trying to say that based on recent year's stats, about 60% of awards are usually in the Humanities. This year it is probably less because the competitive priorities were outside of the Humanities. Anthropology seems like the only wild card since it is not a Humanities field but Mellon is considering it and it usually receives a relatively large percentage of the awards (second only to History). But many of those projects might not have a strong enough Humanities component for Mellon and cutting those could easily bring it back to 60ish%.

Edited by Myshkin2011

I haven't heard anything yet. Still waiting ......

It's getting close to the end of the day. Has anyone heard anything. The wording "notification letters will be sent" that Olympia reported TG using kinda makes me think it would be by post.

Don't you guys know by now that these types of things take as long as they possibly can :)...

There's probably going to be some sort of postal workers' strike tomorrow. Either that or the insurgents will blow up the railroad tracks, causing the train carrying the notification letters to go crashing into the ravine.

i haven'e heard anything yet either....

Since I've been following this thread, and since i am apparentlyone of the first to hear, let me share this. I am currently in the field and sent a request that any correspondence or notification be sent to me electronically. So this afternoon I received notice that I was one of approximately 100 doctoral students selected for the award. I would say that means just about everyone who had their app forwarded on. The downside is that they cut my budget in half from the 40k that i selected, essentially chopping out the vehicle and some internal travel funds, etc.

So rest easy those of you still following this topic. A christmas, even if its not exactly as loaded with riches as you might have hoped, is on its way.

That sounds promising. Would you mind letting me/us know if they kept the Maintenance Allowance the same?

Since I've been following this thread, and since i am apparentlyone of the first to hear, let me share this. I am currently in the field and sent a request that any correspondence or notification be sent to me electronically. So this afternoon I received notice that I was one of approximately 100 doctoral students selected for the award. I would say that means just about everyone who had their app forwarded on. The downside is that they cut my budget in half from the 40k that i selected, essentially chopping out the vehicle and some internal travel funds, etc.

So rest easy those of you still following this topic. A christmas, even if its not exactly as loaded with riches as you might have hoped, is on its way.

what kind of vehicle did you want?

Seriously, does it really matter at the moment? Just be pleased that you will be getting some funding and work the rest out later. By the way, there wasnt a whole lot of detail on how the funding breaks down. And the docs that i received where obviously scanned from a hard copy.

Oh, and I had budget about 9k for a rented/purchased vehicle.

That sounds promising. Would you mind letting me/us know if they kept the Maintenance Allowance the same?

It might matter if Olympia is under pressure to make some other decision where the total amount of the fulbright award could influence the decision.

Seriously, does it really matter at the moment? Just be pleased that you will be getting some funding and work the rest out later. By the way, there wasnt a whole lot of detail on how the funding breaks down. And the docs that i received where obviously scanned from a hard copy.

Oh, and I had budget about 9k for a rented/purchased vehicle.

thanks for posting this. i'm tired of checking email. congrats to fawcett and good luck to everyone else!

Theresa Granza just wrote me that the notifications will be sent out by regular mail. No need to wait for an email from them.