A Hard Choice?

bio_PhD

I am looking for opinions, which should I use when I fill in the application form?

I took GRE twice. The first time I got V570 Q780 AW4.5, the 2nd V650, Q800, but AW is 3.0.

Both V and Q are better the second time, but I am afraid if there is a cut-off line for AW, 3.0 must be a too low-score...

As my ID suggested, I apply biological PhD programs.

Thanks!

I am looking for opinions, which should I use when I fill in the application form?

I took GRE twice. The first time I got V570 Q780 AW4.5, the 2nd V650, Q800, but AW is 3.0.

Both V and Q are better the second time, but I am afraid if there is a cut-off line for AW, 3.0 must be a too low-score...

As my ID suggested, I apply biological PhD programs.

Thanks!

You might not actually have a choice. Several of the application forms that my schools used asked for every GRE score. But if you were to choose, I'd go with the first score. I assume that the quantitative is more important for your field (though 780 isn't much lower and certainly can't hurt you). Do you know how important the AW score is for your field? For my field (English PhD), the AW score is a joke. Professors know that the type of writing that's needed to do well on the AW is almost the exact opposite of how we're training to write....and we typically have 15-25 page writing samples that present a much better picture of how well we can write for our field. My (vague and unsubstantiated) sense is that AW score might be slightly more important for non-humanities programs...but I don't really know.

Unlike the SATs, you don't get a choice. The adcoms will see all the scores. I wouldn't even think to re-take the GRE either because why would you want to ruin a perfect Q?

Unlike the SATs, you don't get a choice. The adcoms will see all the scores. I wouldn't even think to re-take the GRE either because why would you want to ruin a perfect Q?

Not only might you ruin a perfect 800-Q, the 650-V is MUCH better (percentile-wise) than your previous 570-V. I'd leave it alone, and write a GREAT writing sample and SOP. If you're a non-native speaker of English, be sure to get a native speaker to proofread any written material you submit.

Then don't sweat it. A 4.5 is plenty-good-enough, and, they do see ALL of your scores.