Taking GRE too late?

hadoule

I was supposed to take the GRE in early October, but I rescheduled it in order to better prepare. Now I'm scheduled for November 20. Is this too late if I'm applying for Fall 2011 admissions? Most of my program deadlines are December 15. I thought it would be fine cause many of my friends took the GRE in December or so. I'm really worried now...

Nov 20 is late, but check with the schools you are applying to, since many schools don't have a hard deadline for when they receive the scores from ETS. Some schools, even though that have a December 15 deadline, do not consider applications until January, so you *may* be ok if this were the case. In other cases, they might delay looking at your app until they get your scores - in this case you would probably be at a disadvantage since they would be considering other applicants before you. The worst case scenario for you would be for them to insist that all materials (including GRE scores) reach the school by Dec 15. In any case, just check with the schools you are applying to to see what their policies are.

I am taking October 28th and figure if I stink it up that day I can go again in 2 weeks. However, I worry that at the 2 week later mark, should it come to that, it may be to late to send scores to schools with Dec. 15th deadlines. You might want to check as you aren't buying yourself a lot of wiggle room to take the test again if needed.

I was supposed to take the GRE in early October, but I rescheduled it in order to better prepare. Now I'm scheduled for November 20. Is this too late if I'm applying for Fall 2011 admissions? Most of my program deadlines are December 15. I thought it would be fine cause many of my friends took the GRE in December or so. I'm really worried now...

I wouldn't worry. Official scores from ETS take 10 to 15 days to arrive at the institutions you choose on test day, so your scores will arrive well before December 15th and you will be fine. Even if you need to retest, you can do so once per calendar month, meaning if you had to retest you could do it on December 1st (assuming you can get an appointment for that day) and still get your second scores in on the deadline or one day late. While one day late might be a problem, many programs only require unofficial scores (received at the testing center as soon as you complete the test) on your application as long as the official scores are received soon thereafter. Check with your individual schools to see if they require the official score report by the deadline or if you have some wiggle room. Even with the strictest of rules and no wiggle room, your Nov. 20th scores will arrive in plenty of time. The only possibility of a problem is with strict schools and a need to retest, which is a pretty unlikely combo since you already delayed once to give yourself preparation time (I bet that means you'll be ready on the 20th). Best of luck!

Regards,

Taylor Dearr

• 2 weeks later...

I had the brilliant idea that I'd be less stressed about the test if I set a date on my calendar and signed up the week before, I think I received that advice here. Anyways, the only date available was Halloween! So the good news is I can retake it in November if needed, right?

When you say it takes 15 days to send scores does that include the writing score? I've heard 10-15 days to 1 month for scores???

I know if I stink it up on the real test it will just be nerves because I've been happy with my power-prep scores of late. I'd like to think I could just take it again 10 days later and be fine with scores getting to schools? 3 of my programs have DEC. 1 deadlines.

I had the brilliant idea that I'd be less stressed about the test if I set a date on my calendar and signed up the week before, I think I received that advice here. Anyways, the only date available was Halloween! So the good news is I can retake it in November if needed, right?

When you say it takes 15 days to send scores does that include the writing score? I've heard 10-15 days to 1 month for scores???

I know if I stink it up on the real test it will just be nerves because I've been happy with my power-prep scores of late. I'd like to think I could just take it again 10 days later and be fine with scores getting to schools? 3 of my programs have DEC. 1 deadlines.

Your scores (including the Analytical Writing portion) should be sent in 10 to 15 days. Here is a quote from the ETS website, "Official Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing scores will be sent to you and the score recipients you designated within 10 to 15 days after you take the test. Allow sufficient time for mail delivery from Princeton, New Jersey, USA." I suppose that means with mail traffic time to a school that is on the West Coast it could take an additional four days. So if the scores are sent on the latest day by ETS (meaning the 15th day) and took four days in the mail you scores would arrive on the 19th day after you took the test. Thus if you retested 10 days after Halloween you scores would likely arrive at the very end of November and make the December 1 deadline. For a completely detailed report you can check the ETS score delivery information page here: http://ets.org/gre/general/scores/send . It is always best to check individually with each school that you are cutting it close with to understand their policies. Tell them your test date and ask them about the strictness of their deadline (some schools will accept official reports a few days late so long as your unofficial scores are listed on the application that is turned in on time).

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Taylor

I've found this thread very helpful for my situation. I am also applying for courses with deadlines in early December, and trying to work out when is the latest safe date that I can get results to my grad schools by December 5th. 15 days before that date is the 21st November (the '10-15' number is calendar days, and includes weekends, right?)

I am currently looking at either the 9th or 19th November. I'm wondering if doing the GRE overseas adds any additional time? I'll be taking the test in Manila.

I'm currently aiming for the 9th, as I don't think the 19th (17days) will give me a safe enough posting buffer, although all my schools are on the east coast. I'd prefer the 19th for the extra time for test preparation! Would appreciate hearing from any international applicants whether they have found the 10-15 still applies. Surely it must, given that ETS operates internationally?

9th November or earlier!

From my understanding, it takes them 2-3 weeks to process the score and update it online (make it official) and then you probably need to allow some time for the score to reach your university.

I also took it abroad, and, yes, distance does not aid.

After having said that, I believe that 9th November should be a comfortable date! But not later.

Good luck studying for the test.

I think it's also important to distinguish between the 4 schools you designate on test day and the additional score reports you order later--if all of your Dec. 1 and Dec. 15 schools total to just 4, then you're fine; you can order the later score reports for January schools. I'd be worried if you have more than 4 due in December, but as everyone else said, check with them!

I just took the GRE yesterday (in paris), and my verbal score was a disaster (about 150 points worse than in all of my preparation tests). Four designated schools with deadlines at mid december will receive the very very bad scores in time, I guess.

I am going to retake the test on the 2nd of december (closest date possible). I know this is far too late, but as most of my deadlines are in january, and only four in mid-december, it might work. Maybe if I'll talk to the admissions and ask them to take another look at my scores when the second test is done? This might be in late december. Any advise on this? Thank you!