W&M MA Psychology, anyone?

crazycot

Great to hear someone's applying too, StarvingStudentYeah. I hope to hear from them asap too.

Do you mind telling me your background? I see the statistics of the admitted students last year aren't as competitive as in most Ph.D. programs. For me, I've barely met the averages so hopefully my research experience would help :)

I don't look that great on paper compared to their metrics. 3.5 GPA, ~1200 GRE. My strength is that I am a fantastic match with one of the faculty members, have what I consider to be an ELITE personal statement, and glowing LORs. My feeling is that if they are the type of school that passes on people who are a good fit and excellent writers with interesting backgrounds in favor of metrics people then it's not the place for me anyway.

Luckily, I'm already into one program that I'd be thrilled to attend. The negative is that of the six I applied to that's the only one I've heard from. I had an interview at one of them in Feb, but have not heard from them either. It seems REAL late to still be waiting on five - but being in one already I'm considerably unstressed - especially compared to where I'd be if I were not in.

At any rate, the WAITING IS KILLING ME! lol

Wow looks like you have a good shot :P I am not as lucky as you are. It's stressful enough to be rejected by 5 Ph.D. programs already and haven't heard of the other 3 (including W&M).

Do you know/think if they're going to interview you before any decision's made?

I've not heard of them doing interviews, and it seems a little late in the game to start that now.

One of my concerns is that I didn't personally contact the professor who I'm a great match for - simply discussed that in my personal statement. I made a conscious decision not to, as that's done less in M.A. apps, but more or less regret the decision today.

I don't feel particularly confident about my chances at WM like I do at most of the other schools I applied to, but certainly feel like it would be a mutually beneficial circumstance if they did accept me. :)

Hopefully we'll hear this week?!?

Good luck!

Just heard back from the graduate admission officer

She said the admission committee is currently reviewing the applications and the results will be out in 4 weeks.

So... this piece of information is probably not very soothing for our been-waiting-for-too-long ache :\

In fact, given the relatively lower admission statistics and requirement for research experience, I wonder if this program is just a backup for some Ph.D. applicants.

Hope for the best! 8)

I'm sorry - did you say FOUR WEEKS?!?!? As in FOUR WEEKS from now? Based on that we'll hear sometime the week of April 15th? That is not even a little bit cool.

I don't think the program is necessarily a PhD backup (though surely some use it that way). Most people whose CV's I've seen should have been able to get into a PhD program somewhere. The thing is - people from this program have a GREAT success rate getting into the the most elite programs in the field.

Anyway, that four weeks is going to really put us in a bind. I have other schools (and wait list ppl) on hold. I suppose what I'll have to do is decline all but one school and hold off on a firm acceptance to the other one 'til I hear for sure from W&M. Not really all that amused.

How did you procure this information? Call, email?

THANKS SO MUCH for posting this info!

Yes, she did say "Decisions should be made in approximately 4 weeks". I e-mailed the officer asking if she's got my TOEFL score as well as something about the admission and possible interview session (she didn't answer on the interview part though). It was quite a bummer since I haven't got any offer and am on wait list for 2 programs :\

I went through the profiles of the current students and they all got an impressive amount of research/teaching exposures since enrolled in the program. I don't know how the program is gonna pick the 7 students outta ~100 applicants.

I guess we can just cross our fingers and wish we'll get in :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's getting pretty annoying. If the info they gave you is right it may still be 2 weeks? I'm hoping they promise late and then come in early.

As it stands now though, it seems hard to imagine not going to Boston College anyway. I'm already starting to feel like a BC student, starting to feel connected to them, etc. I will fight to remain open minded though - especially since I really liked WM throughout the research phase of this process.

Was this the only M.A. that you applied for? I was initially going to apply to only PhD programs, but then when I started my research I discovered that I just didn't feel as prepared for that level as I'd like. I was a junior transfer into the psych program at my school, and though I think I could have been competitive it just didn't feel right for me. In fact, once I finish the M.A. at BC there's a one year M.A. at Harvard that I'm eye-balling doing before I start my PhD - hopefully back at BC.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear this is your only shot this year - I totally forgot you said that. Also sorry to have sounded negative about WM. The fact is, I absolutely LOVE them. They are the ONLY reason I haven't sent in the acceptance form, bought a t-shirt of a hoodie and cracked the champagne! I love their campus, I ove their tradition, and to be frank their M.A. program has launched the career of many luminaries in our field. Not to mention the fact that their faculty are by-and-large young, cutting-edge and about as innovative as they come. My negativity comes only from the fact that we're all being forced to wait so long. I know it was an extremely late deadline, but finding out right before the 4/15 deadline is just a bit crass, IMO.

At any rate, I wish you all the luck and am sending out all the good vibes on your behalf that I can muster.

I actually applied W&M in addition to a number of Ph.D. programs. My professor was a graduate of this program and she highly recommended that to me. That's why this is the only MA that I applied to.

My chance to get into those Ph.D. programs is slim as I have heard rejections back from most of the schools already. :\

Anyways, wish we both the best of luck and be classmates in W&M! (I hope they won't interview applicants, then I'd feel better about not hearing them early)

Got the letter today, rejected. Whatever, I'm glad the letter came as now I can be 100%, instead of the 99% I was a few days ago. I'm a Boston College Eagle. The acceptance letter goes out today.

Good luck, CrazyCot - I sure hope you get the letter today and that it contains good news. Let us know!

I'm sorry to hear that...:( Did you get the letter by postal mail or e-mail? I am an international student so it should take at least a week before the letter reaches me.

The program is competitive. It's nice that you got in BC at least :)) Good luck to us both.

Try not to stress just because I was turned down.

My guess is that, for whatever reason, the professor I was interested in working with was just not interested in me, or found someone else in the applicant pool he thought was a better fit. Just because we think we are a good fit, doesn't always mean the professor will agree. Or it could even be that he's too low on the totem pole to get a student he wants if more senior people need one and find one they want.

If anything, you should feel better that I didn't get in because that is one less person you have to worry about. :D

Good luck and hope you hear soon!

Depending on how many slots they expect to fill.. that's a good sign

if they have 12 openings and took 12 people... a position is bound to open up

if it's 6 openings assuming not all 12 people will accept... chances are less.

Stay pos!

hmm the estimated opening is 7 as written on the website. I guess many apply the MA as a backup of the Ph.D. applications. If they're admitted by a Ph.D. there's no reason for the MA not to send offers to them. So I guess those who got Ph.D. offers and applied the program will receive good news from both sides.

Let's hope all of the 12 successful applicants reject the offer so the top 12 on waiting list can move up :D

As the website said the estimated opening for Fall 2008 is 7. So I guess they're expecting ~6 or more offered students going to other schools. The secretary said she didn't have the list of ranking that's why I have no way of knowing where I stand right now.

The 2nd round of rejections and possible offers may be released after April 15, the magic date :\

*sigh*