Do I need to send materials that are not required by the graduate program?

Audi

I am considering applying to the MPhil of Development Studies at Cambridge. In the graduate school prospectus, it is said that this program 'does not require GRE score or writing sample'. But I have a verbal 700 and quantitative 800 GRE score and I think it will help improve my competence. Can I send my GRE score and writing samples to the graduate committee? Would it help?

Thank you very much!

I think you can still send it, but I don't know how much it will help you though. Generally the GRE isn't very highly thought of by top schools and when they say that they don't require it, I'm guessing there's a pretty good chance they won't even look at it or consider it.

I am considering applying to the MPhil of Development Studies at Cambridge. In the graduate school prospectus, it is said that this program 'does not require GRE score or writing sample'. But I have a verbal 700 and quantitative 800 GRE score and I think it will help improve my competence. Can I send my GRE score and writing samples to the graduate committee? Would it help?

Thank you very much!

I believe that the best person to ask about that is the graduate coordinator of this program ;) Send him/her an e-mail with this question!

If they say something isn't required, then I wouldn't send it. The grad program coordinator probably can't tell you if having optional items makes your application look better...because they're optional, ya know? :)

If they say something isn't required, then I wouldn't send it. The grad program coordinator probably can't tell you if having optional items makes your application look better...because they're optional, ya know? :)

Well, some programs say, for example: "Writing samples are optional but recommended". May be it is the same with GRE scores there...

OP says: 'does not require GRE score or writing sample'.

But sure, if there is an addendum, of "optional/not required but recommended/suggested" go for it.

Another thing to consider about sending items that are optional is that they may have no place to put it. If the application system is online, there is nowhere to receive/upload extra things. If it's paper, then it wouldn't be difficult to print and place into a folder.

Edited by DariaIRL

Thank you very much!

If you're talking about Cambridge in the UK then I highly doubt they will even consider you're GRE scores because the UK has a very different system which the GRE is not compatible with. As far as the writing samples are concerned, I would email the grad coordinator and ask. In my humble opinion it will defintely give your application a boost if it's relevant.