PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

On 1/25/2024 at 10:55 AM, YiL said:

Anyone else passed the first round for UMN EPI PhD? Does anyone know the chance of a matching (offer) after this? Thank you!

I'm wondering if there will be an interview after the matching (I guess yes?).

1 hour ago, publichealth13 said:

I heard back from BU's health policy department regarding PhD interview. Mine is next week, but not sure when the rest are happening (for this department as well as for other departments). Hope that is helpful!

Did anyone hear back from the EPI department?

On 1/24/2024 at 3:39 PM, cpkepi said:

I remember that the director said we will hear from them next week for next steps. Not 100% sure though.

Epi dean said next week. Also basically said at this point you’re either in or waitlisted. Would’ve had to go really bad to be rejected 

On 1/25/2024 at 8:13 AM, PinkPanther0808 said:

Can someone who attended Brown’s interview day tell us how it went? Thinking about reapplying next year. 

There were 3 separate Q&A/info sessions with public health, with individual departments, and with students. I had 3 25min interviews all very chill. 2 with professors I had expressed interest in working with and one with the Epi dean

2 hours ago, BZG said:

Decisions are out for UNMC DrPH.

Didn't make it to the next round which I figured. I was right they would recommend me for another concentration based on my experience in that field.

University of Nebraska? Just curious because their deadline is not until Feb 1 (and I have not submitted yet!)

37 minutes ago, EnvHEpi said:

There were 3 separate Q&A/info sessions with public health, with individual departments, and with students. I had 3 25min interviews all very chill. 2 with professors I had expressed interest in working with and one with the Epi dean

Thanks for sharing this info! Good luck to you!

5 hours ago, publichealth13 said:

I heard back from BU's health policy department regarding PhD interview. Mine is next week, but not sure when the rest are happening (for this department as well as for other departments). Hope that is helpful!

To add to this, they told me at my interview that the admissions committee will meet again next week after first round interviews are done and then shortlist candidates will be invited to a prospective students day in mid-Feb. After which the final decisions will be made.

Hi!

Does anyone know if all Columbia Epi PhD interview invitations have been sent out? Saw someone post earlier today that they got an interview but for a track different from the one I’m interested in. Thanks!

edit: is notification sent by a PI or admin?

Edited by mdtl54

4 hours ago, sandia_sunflower said:

University of Nebraska? Just curious because their deadline is not until Feb 1 (and I have not submitted yet!)

I was confused by this too, I’m assuming they meant the preliminary review? I submitted last week and passed the prelim review. They will not be giving final decisions until later on and no one will be accepted or rejected from the final round until all apps are in. My email said by April 15th lol…of course. 

Edited by Epinionated

On 1/25/2024 at 9:56 AM, ARPH said:

Has anyone had their interview yet for GW's DrPH program? What was the process like? How did it go? My interview is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and I've never interviewed for a doctoral program before!

Congrats on your interview!!! Do you mind sharing how it went and what it was like? 

11 minutes ago, ADRPH said:

Congrats on your interview!!! Do you mind sharing how it went and what it was like? 

Thank you! I think it went well; it was pretty relaxed. All of the questions (5 total) she asked centered around the Statement of Purpose questions so I had answers prepared. Do you have an interview coming up? If so, congratulations and best of luck! 

Edited by ARPH

1 hour ago, Epinionated said:

I was confused by this too, I’m assuming they meant the preliminary review? I submitted last week and passed the prelim review. They will not be giving final decisions until later on and no one will be accepted or rejected from the final round until all apps are in. My email said by April 15th lol…of course. 

Ah, okay. That is a relief! Thanks for sharing. I'm still waiting on a letter of recommendation and was worried I had misread or misunderstood something. Good luck with yours!

33 minutes ago, ARPH said:

Thank you! I think it went well; it was pretty relaxed. All of the questions (5 total) she asked centered around the Statement of Purpose questions so I had answers prepared. Do you have an interview coming up? If so, congratulations and best of luck! 

So exciting!! I have my interview next week and am so nervous! 

8 minutes ago, ADRPH said:

So exciting!! I have my interview next week and am so nervous! 

You'll do great, you've got this! Maybe we'll end up in the same cohort 😊 Stay positive, and enjoy your weekend! Keep us updated.

58 minutes ago, sandia_sunflower said:

Ah, okay. That is a relief! Thanks for sharing. I'm still waiting on a letter of recommendation and was worried I had misread or misunderstood something. Good luck with yours!

Thank you! You as well :) which concentration are you applying to? 

10 hours ago, ElieF said:

I'm wondering if there will be an interview after the matching (I guess yes?).

I don't think so. If a professor is interested, the committee will extend an official offer.

9 hours ago, sandia_sunflower said:

Yes . I applied early.  I didn't pass the preliminary review. Decisions are out for the preliminary review.

"Your application for the DrPH program is complete and has been forwarded for our preliminary review. This review can take up to three weeks to complete. Once this review has been completed, you will be notified if your application has been selected to be forwarded to the department of your chosen concentration for a final admissions review. If selected for a final review, all final reviews will take place after the February 1st application deadline. We will be in touch once your preliminary review is complete."

It was I guess fast turnaround. I applied this month everything was verified. I guess within 2 weeks got my rejection letter for the preliminary review. I was recommended to reapply next year for a difference concentration based on my experience/expertise.

Edited by BZG

6 hours ago, Epinionated said:

Best of Luck!!!

16 hours ago, pubhealth123 said:

Has anyone heard from Brown PhD Epi today? I was at the interview day and the wait is tough! 

Same here! I heard the program director say they will be in touch with "next steps" in the coming weeks, and I also heard the Epi dean say that admissions decisions will begin to be released next week on a rolling basis