Min. GRE needed for Ph.D

cappuccino

I am a Bioinformatics graduate and an international candidate.

I recently gave GRE. I got 1200 score. V-530, Q-670. Is it possible to get admission in Phd in genetics or computational biology with this score or should i give it again.

Please someone help me.

--

Shivani

Were you nervous during the test? Do you think it affected your performance? Do you have time to study for a retake?

I took the GRE twice and did significantly better (+140 points) on the retake. However, I have reasonable test anxiety and most of my problems the first time were due to that. (I studied barely 2 hours for the retake). Having one score already, I was much less worried when I took it the second time.

If you think you will be less nervous or if you have time to study I think a retake is worth it.

However, take my opinions with a grain of salt, as I am also applying this application cycle.

I am a Bioinformatics graduate and an international candidate.

I recently gave GRE. I got 1200 score. V-530, Q-670. Is it possible to get admission in Phd in genetics or computational biology with this score or should i give it again.

Please someone help me.

--

Shivani

1200 should be fine, as it is nothing more than a mere criterion for filtering out not-so-good candidates. my bioinformatics friend got into a top 10 computational biology program last year with ~1200 score. though, he was a US citizen.. and had good grades and excellent research experiences.

still, retaking might be better if you are confident of scoring more.

If you can, retaking might be a good idea, but it really depends on how solid the rest of your application is. If everything is good, then 1200 on GRE should be alright. However, if you would like to make your application even stronger, scoring 700+ on math should definitely boost your application up. GRE is also used in determining some fellowships/grants, so that can also be taken into consideration. Good luck!