Profile Eval. Fall 2011 | MS | CS | GRE(1290) | TOEFL(110) | CG(9.34) | IIIT-H | 1 yr google wrkexp

info_seeker

I wish to apply for Masters at the following universities in Computer Science.

Brief Profile:

*B.Tech(Computer Science) GPA=9.34/10 from IIIT, Hyderabad (class topper's GPA = 9.56). My rank is 3 (among 100 students in same course).

IIIT is a TIER-1 college in India.

*I have 1 year work experience with Google as Software Engineer. Now I am working on some other projects in IIIT-H.

*Interned with Microsoft Inc., Hyderabad for 4 months during college.

*GRE-1290 (V-490 Q-800)

*TOEFL-110 (speaking-23, writing-27, reading-30, listening-30)

Recommendation Letters

All 3 will be from professors at my college under whom I have taken projects and courses.

Could you please evaluate my profile?

Stanford

University of California, Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon University

University of Texas, Austin

Princeton

Georgia Tech

University of California, Los Angeles

Cornell

UIUC

Purdue

UMich - Ann Arbor

UCSD

Wisc Mad.

I scored a very low score in GRE (490V + 800Q) which is my main concern. I can re-take the exam but I want to know if there is actually a need for it.

What other universities should I consider applying to?

Hello,

Those are all top 15 or top 20 schools where competition is very intense and the admission rates at each of them is at best around 15%, so you should also apply to some schools outside of the top 20, say top 50, that have good programs in your area. This would give you better chances of being accepted at a school. Your GRE verbal score isn't that important for Computer Science so it shouldn't be a problem. Is it a research based degree that you are applying for? If so, it may be better to apply straight for a PhD where there is better funding.

Thanks for the reply.

I am applying for the research based degree and plan to go for PhD later.

With a profile like this, I doubt I will be able to get admit to a doctoral program right away.

Any suggestions/comments?

Hello,

Those are all top 15 or top 20 schools where competition is very intense and the admission rates at each of them is at best around 15%, so you should also apply to some schools outside of the top 20, say top 50, that have good programs in your area. This would give you better chances of being accepted at a school. Your GRE verbal score isn't that important for Computer Science so it shouldn't be a problem. Is it a research based degree that you are applying for? If so, it may be better to apply straight for a PhD where there is better funding.

Most places recommend that if you want to get a PhD eventually, that you should just apply straight to the PhD. As truediarist mentioned, some places don't have research based MS because they expect people who are interested in doing research to apply for the PhD - so you should consider that. For applications to research based degrees, the most important thing the admissions committees consider is your past research experience and your readiness to do research in grad school. Do you have research experience? Without research experience, it is going to be very difficult to get into a top 10 school.