MFA Photography - technical school advice needed

christophinoz

Hola

I'm a UK photographer looking to undertake the above MFA.

This is the first time I've researched the US colleges and it's a little overwhelming at the moment. I'm looking for help in identifying the technically orientated schools - any advice on relevant schools located on the east and west coast?

Ta

Christoph

Hola

I'm a UK photographer looking to undertake the above MFA.

This is the first time I've researched the US colleges and it's a little overwhelming at the moment. I'm looking for help in identifying the technically orientated schools - any advice on relevant schools located on the east and west coast?

Ta

Christoph

What do you mean by technically oriented? Do you mean they teach you how to shoot portraits and catalogue photos? Or do you meant that they emphasize technique in the service of your artistic vision?

For the former check out Rochester Institute of Technology and Savannah College of Art and Design. Possible MassArt and California College of Arts who all see to be a little more on technical side, but are still art schools.

For the latter pick up copies of American Photo, Art Forum, or B+W magazines and see what shcools are advertising. Those schools are going to give a more technical education, probably one step above a trade school, and they'll call the degree you get an MFA.

Most top schools consider the MFA an art degree, not a technical degree, so they train conceptual artists not craftspeople. They'll make foundation courses available to you where you can improve your technique, but they may not require them. For a large part you're on your own to make sure your technique is up to snuff.

Also, I know there's a least one school out there, I can't remember which, that calls their photogrpahy degree a Master of Science.