Address 'future' in SOP

Hi Folks,

Almost every PhD program asks applicants to address what you intend to do after you graduate ,or state your 'career plan' in ths SOP.

I am keen to know how you guys think about this issue.Generally,how long should I say about this and how detailed should I go?

Thanks!

Edited by epi_man

Hi Folks,

Almost every PhD program asks applicants to address what you intend to do after you graduate ,or state your 'career plan' in ths SOP.

I am keen to know how you guys think about this issue.Generally,how long should I say about this and how detailed should I go?

Thanks!

Well, of course, you do not have to give too much details. After all, you are not a fortune teller! :)

Just explain in passing what do you need a PhD degree for. Do you want to be a researcher? Stay in academia? Or may be you do not plan to work in universities after you graduate. Do not spend an entire paragraph explaining those things. But It should be clear from your SOP what are you future career plans and why getting a PHD is an important step in doing what you want to do with your life.

Well, of course, you do not have to give too much details. After all, you are not a fortune teller! :)

Just explain in passing what do you need a PhD degree for. Do you want to be a researcher? Stay in academia? Or may be you do not plan to work in universities after you graduate. Do not spend an entire paragraph explaining those things. But It should be clear from your SOP what are you future career plans and why getting a PHD is an important step in doing what you want to do with your life.