Tulane

UrbanMidwest

I used to go to Tulane as an undergrad, both before and after Katrina. It was an awesome place to be. One of my all time favorite sociology classes was a class by Joel Devine, "Sociology of Disaster" which he did after Katrina. I don't know much about their program, but from my somewhat relevant experience, it would be a great place to study. The Sociology department is located on one of the most picturesque parts of campus. Huge live oaks lining the walkways all around. Very cool.

Tulane as a school is nice, and the Graduate Student Studies Association (GSSA) covers College of Science and Engineering as well as Liberal Arts, and is very active.

I'm in Chemistry, so I can't speak much to the research going on in Sociology, other than the few grad students I know in the department. The school as a whole is a great place to be for graduate school, imo.

I used to go to Tulane as an undergrad, both before and after Katrina. It was an awesome place to be. One of my all time favorite sociology classes was a class by Joel Devine, "Sociology of Disaster" which he did after Katrina. I don't know much about their program, but from my somewhat relevant experience, it would be a great place to study. The Sociology department is located on one of the most picturesque parts of campus. Huge live oaks lining the walkways all around. Very cool.

You've met Joel Devine? That's cool! I looked at his research interests and it seems really interesting. How's he like in person?

Edited by UrbanMidwest

He was awesome. I believe he was also the department chair for several years before Bankston. He was always very approachable, knowledgeable, and very sharp with the feedback he offered students. Funny guy too. I learned a lot from him.

You've met Joel Devine? That's cool! I looked at his research interests and it seems really interesting. How's he like in person?