Reapplying to the same school?

caraa

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of anyone applying to a school one year and being rejected, then applying the next year and being accepted. I would like to have another chance at places I applied to last year like RISD (which rejected me) and MICA (which waitlisted me), but I have no idea if an admissions committee would really consider a re-applicant...

any info/opinions are much appreciated!

I'm reapplying to 3 schools. There's a chance it may be a completely different admissions committee. Especially in the first round if it's made up of group students. I'm reapplying to SMFA and have had conversations with them where I mentioned I was reapplying after turning down their post-bacc offer. They warmed up a little after I mentioned that, since they knew I was really serious about the shcool. I think the fact I'm reapplying AND opened a dialogue with them will actually help me.

Most schools ignore that you reapplied. And if they don't they'll expect you to show some growth in the past year, but primarily they'll evaluate you on your new credentials. Personally, I'd like them to rememeber me from last year, it's going to be night and day.

Also, you were waitlisted at a very competative school, it means they thought you were ready, but didn't have space for you. They'll be expecting your app. These schools get a bazzilion apps a year, I'm pretty sure some who've been admitted have applied a second or third time.

And yes, if seen people on this board reapply and get in.

I second zaquon on this. I've definitely seen people on this board reapply to a school they were previously rejected from and be accepted. Just search through the old posts and you'll see em.

I'm reapplying this year to schools where I was waitlisted and rejected from two years ago. I talked to one of them at the Graduate Portfolio Day and when I told them I had been waitlisted at their school they said to definitely mention that in my app/sop.

It happens all the time that people reapply and are admitted to schools that previously rejected them. The first time I applied I received one admittance (no funding). I applied a year later (after starting an MA program) and was admitted to four programs, three of which I had previously applied to. Due to some personal reasons I did not end up enrolling, and here I am two years later reapplying to almost the same list of schools (two new ones), and am hoping to get accepted again, but am also hoping to get offers from schools that previously rejected me.

Wow, thank you guys so much for your input; I had no idea. Looks like I'll be applying to some of the same schools as last year! Now I just need to figure out a way to narrow down the list of 20 schools I'm interested in to more like ten...