Length Decisions

Hi Everyone,

I have a beautifully, well-crafted SoP that I have gotten to the point where I send it around and mostly just get minor comments (word choice, clarify this sentence) back. (More looks are always welcome though!) However, I was on the Stanford Graduate Admissions site last night and discovered a limit: 2 pgs. It is only on 'Are you ready to apply?' pages, not the actual application instructions. My SoP that I am getting to the point of content with is 2.33 pages, 1362 words. The Department of Psychology website does not say anything about a limit, and the actual application has a upload size limit of 5mb (my document is 188kb).

Also, Carnegie Mellon does not have a hard limit, just a rough guideline of ~1000 words. I feel like I am talking about substantial things for the whole 1300+ words.

Would you leave in the bit of 'extra' length? Or cut it down to be safe?

Hi Everyone,

I have a beautifully, well-crafted SoP that I have gotten to the point where I send it around and mostly just get minor comments (word choice, clarify this sentence) back. (More looks are always welcome though!) However, I was on the Stanford Graduate Admissions site last night and discovered a limit: 2 pgs. It is only on 'Are you ready to apply?' pages, not the actual application instructions. My SoP that I am getting to the point of content with is 2.33 pages, 1362 words. The Department of Psychology website does not say anything about a limit, and the actual application has a upload size limit of 5mb (my document is 188kb).

I would ask their graduate coordinator about that. Information on schools' websites is often outdated and confusing. If the department's website says nothing about the limit, there is a good chance they do not care about "2 pages" rule of the graduate school.

Also, Carnegie Mellon does not have a hard limit, just a rough guideline of ~1000 words. I feel like I am talking about substantial things for the whole 1300+ words.

If it is around 1000 words I would not make it more than 1100.

Edited by Strangefox

I agree with the rest. I think it shouldn't be much more than 1000 words if they say so.

If they say 2 pgs or ~1000 words, I would follow those guidelines. Less is more, considering how many SOPs are read during admissions. Keep editing!

Unless specifically noted as a requirement, I wouldn't worry about breaking any rules by being over two pages. (I wouldn't consider Stanford's statement to be an explicit rule, if it isn't on the department's website) That said, being concise and to the point is definitely a good idea and 2 pages is a good goal and should be enough space to convey your purpose..