Need some advice from people who have been in my position.

Amogh

Alright here's my profile for starters..

I'm in my 5th semester of Computer Science and Engineering at a college in Bangalore affiliated to Vishveshwariah Technological University. Let me be honest i wasn't all focused during my 12th standard and hence i didnt make it to the iits or an nit..(grumble grumble about reservations and my own stupidity when i was younger.. :D)

My current average after 4 semesters: 78%

My research experience: none as yet.

this is my Achilles' heel as such. i get about 3 - 4 weeks of holidays between every two semesters. yes i do not have any summer as such. :'(.. this has been a major source of frustration to me as i cannot apply to any research fellowships as all of them require a 3 month commitment period. Coming from the university i do, not much research goes on here. well my college has university appointed research labs but they are nothing more than staff rooms. the new HOD has agreed to help me out but iv hit a dead end there too as he isnt currently doing anything and wants me to read some literature myself and come up with some ideas.. i dont know where to start. i dont no what to do about this. i was thinking of taking a year off after my bachelors to work under some professor in some of the govt labs. is that ok?

also im not too sure of what fields im interested in. of course iv just come into the major topics in my course but still.. is this an issue or will time tell as i take the other courses during the remaining 3 semesters?

i think im at a big disadvantage due to my university. i dont no a single senior who has gone on to do a phd course! very few even go for MS..

any advice appreciated..

Also i was wondering if any1 knew of any international research fellowships i could try for after finishing my bachelors.

is no1 alive out there? so many views but no1s said anything :(..

You still have some time before you apply if you're applying for 2012 Spring. I would recommend what starmaker suggests. It will actually look really good on your profile if you go and seek out opportunities for research outside of your school, if your school doesn't have research opportunities. It shows your dedication and the level of your interest. Failing that, you could also look at (research based) Master's programs and use a Master's program to get research experience before you apply for the PhD. Of course, funding is limited at the Master's level in the US so you would have to consider that as well. Research based Master's are not very common in the US but other countries, such as Canada, have funded research based Master's available.

Keep in mind also that research experience, while necessary for applications to the super competitive top 10 schools is not necessary for schools that are not ranked as high - as long as you can demonstrate your potential for research.

Edited by newms

yeah.. i was thinking of the doing that. going out and seeking a professor who i could convince into letting me work with him. i guess that would be my only option.. :D.. not too interested in the whole ms by research thing. there is one other institute in the same city where i will be trying. :D..

Another option is interning at google, microsoft, ibm or hp labs (all their research labs are located in bangalore. yay..:D) but i think it would be more impressive to work at a uni right?

Btw, what do you guys do? what field are you into?

Edited by Amogh

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, what do you guys do? what field are you into?

I'm into AI (both theoretical and applied), especially neuro/bio-inspired computing - right now I'm working on a neuroevolutionary algorithms project for school. Actually, I'm into a lot of things, but that's probably the biggest one. I work full-time for a famous government contractor as an imaging scientist, on anti-suicide-bomber tech. Before that I worked as a scientist in machine learning and computer vision at a small government contractor for a few years. My MS thesis (which I'm writing next year - I just found an advisor) is going to involve legged robot locomotion in uneven terrain.

I'm into AI (both theoretical and applied), especially neuro/bio-inspired computing - right now I'm working on a neuroevolutionary algorithms project for school. Actually, I'm into a lot of things, but that's probably the biggest one. I work full-time for a famous government contractor as an imaging scientist, on anti-suicide-bomber tech. Before that I worked as a scientist in machine learning and computer vision at a small government contractor for a few years. My MS thesis (which I'm writing next year - I just found an advisor) is going to involve legged robot locomotion in uneven terrain.

WOW! thats quite a bit!

BTW guys, What does systems research fall under today? cos at my 5th semester, i realised i dont like networks, databases or software engineering as academic subjects. Liked System Software, OS, Automata. what does systems come under? theoretical cs?

BTW guys, What does systems research fall under today? cos at my 5th semester, i realised i dont like networks, databases or software engineering as academic subjects. Liked System Software, OS, Automata. what does systems come under? theoretical cs?

Usually I've seen it listed as its own subfield. My undergrad alma mater, my current MS university, and the US News CS subfield rankings all consider it to be its own subfield.

It can overlap with other subfields, of course. For example, in my current department, parallel programming is listed as both systems and theory.

• 3 months later...

Apply for RA with some prof in univ,probably IISc. I think the deadlines are up for this year, Don't take corporate internships, unless you're interested in a job atleast in India.I was at a similar situation as you 've described, after one year of working with in a R&D position(Not too much R in it), applied.

What I did was I took job, and internships only in my field of interest. That might help. I had circumstances that made me choose this. But, now I regret not going to a few RA offers after I graduated. The point is, its what you want, finally. Research experience or corporate etiquette.

You have two options:

1) Work as an RA with some prof, and land up in a unfunded MS here (not to say, an average university considering you are not from IIT or NIT).

2) Study really hard for GATE, get into IIT or IISc for MS and MTech (considering they are mostly exam based, not prior research exp. required, it should be easy to crack). Do very well in your undergrad, probably be in top 2 or 5%, that will help you in getting MS and PhD. During MTech, not only you will get involved in research, but also have papers, personal recommendation from IIT professors, and better chances of getting into a funded program at top-notch university.

What matters is research experience, internationally published work and good references from known faculty. To me, the second option would be more preferable than the first.

However, if you are looking for high-paying job in US, above things do not apply. Its mostly for someone who ultimately wants to be in research and aims for a PhD.

Edited by psychopath@100

You have two options:

1) Work as an RA with some prof, and land up in a unfunded MS here (not to say, an average university considering you are not from IIT or NIT).

2) Study really hard for GATE, get into IIT or IISc for MS and MTech (considering they are mostly exam based, not prior research exp. required, it should be easy to crack). Do very well in your undergrad, probably be in top 2 or 5%, that will help you in getting MS and PhD. During MTech, not only you will get involved in research, but also have papers, personal recommendation from IIT professors, and better chances of getting into a funded program at top-notch university.

What matters is research experience, internationally published work and good references from known faculty. To me, the second option would be more preferable than the first.

However, if you are looking for high-paying job in US, above things do not apply. Its mostly for someone who ultimately wants to be in research and aims for a PhD.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a high-paying job in the US, you need to choose the right MS programs to apply, and do well on your GRE. Since you will apply for fall 2012, you have a lot of time.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a high-paying job in the US, you need to choose the right MS programs to apply, and do well on your GRE. Since you will apply for fall 2012, you have a lot of time.

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your input. I realised that there'r more hurdles than answers lol. The only prof in CG at IISC is willing to take people to work with him for more than 9 months but he's more into scientific visualisation! :C.. The only other people working in CG in India are in IITB under VIGIL and both of them refuse to work with people not form IITB.. ugh.. i was wondering if these profs will hire non iitb people for RA after i graduate.. should probably mail them and find out. :D.. hmmm..

the other route involving MS and then PhD seems quite expensive and thats why i am hesitant as i would have to take a loan for an unfunded MS in the USA.. I'm kinda biased against an MS at an IIT as i feel entirely disillusioned about education over here after 3 almost entirely useless years in VTU.. Am i wrong? given some of you are from iit, care to comment?

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your input. I realised that there'r more hurdles than answers lol. The only prof in CG at IISC is willing to take people to work with him for more than 9 months but he's more into scientific visualisation! :C.. The only other people working in CG in India are in IITB under VIGIL and both of them refuse to work with people not form IITB.. ugh.. i was wondering if these profs will hire non iitb people for RA after i graduate.. should probably mail them and find out. :D.. hmmm..

the other route involving MS and then PhD seems quite expensive and thats why i am hesitant as i would have to take a loan for an unfunded MS in the USA.. I'm kinda biased against an MS at an IIT as i feel entirely disillusioned about education over here after 3 almost entirely useless years in VTU.. Am i wrong? given some of you are from iit, care to comment?

Hi..Amogh,..in addition to all the above advice..try looking for some international internship opportunities or joining as a visiting scholar..there are many top-notch Asian / European universities wherein you can find relevant research and can be funded even for an internship..if you can afford around couple of months of money, you can even get into some top-notch US labs,,it is not so hard to get in.. for such short term internships if you are ready to fund yourself..you can even do multiple internships..all this might give you better chances for publishing and networking ..(maybe get a recommendation from some of them..)..provided u do good work....and this will increase ur chances of funded admits..:)..hope this helps..:)

Edited by Gilmour

Hi..Amogh,..in addition to all the above advice..try looking for some international internship opportunities or joining as a visiting scholar..there are many top-notch Asian / European universities wherein you can find relevant research and can be funded even for an internship..if you can afford around couple of months of money, you can even get into some top-notch US labs,,it is not so hard to get in.. for such short term internships if you are ready to fund yourself..you can even do multiple internships..all this might give you better chances for publishing and networking ..(maybe get a recommendation from some of them..)..provided u do good work....and this will increase ur chances of funded admits..:)..hope this helps..:)

Thank you very much man. I honestly didnt know that they would actually accept people for short term internships.. One small thing tho, will there be like a call-for-ras thing i should look out for, or should i just contact a professor i would like to work with? could someone give me some examples to get started on.? :D I'm interested in graphics btw.

Thank you very much man. I honestly didnt know that they would actually accept people for short term internships.. One small thing tho, will there be like a call-for-ras thing i should look out for, or should i just contact a professor i would like to work with? could someone give me some examples to get started on.? :D I'm interested in graphics btw.

There is no hard and fast rule but...I guess, the best way is to write to proffs....about a probable internship or visiting scholar opportunity...and if you can fund yourself for that short period..do mention in the email...you can also browse thru their websites regularly to see if similar opportunities have opened up..though its very rare that such internship opportunities will be explicitly announced....another way is to attend conferences / symposiums / workshops and network with them / talk to them about such an opportunity...

Good luck..:)

There is no hard and fast rule but...I guess, the best way is to write to proffs....about a probable internship or visiting scholar opportunity...and if you can fund yourself for that short period..do mention in the email...you can also browse thru their websites regularly to see if similar opportunities have opened up..though its very rare that such internship opportunities will be explicitly announced....another way is to attend conferences / symposiums / workshops and network with them / talk to them about such an opportunity...

Good luck..:)

alright.. thanks..