School Rankings

There may be a section under English Doctoral programs in the Graduate School US News and World Report ratings which gives the 10 top programs in Rhetoric and Composition. You can look at a copy in the library (that is what I did). I would ask your professors for recommendations though; that is the only way to find out about good schools in specific subfields. I study Victorian lit., so I can't really help you with programs. sorry! :roll:

phds.org has customizable rankings with many criteria from which to choose. There's no Rhetcomp option, but there is general English department info.

I've been hanging around here and LJ for a few years, now, and I've never heard of anyone finding reliable rankings for that particular field. My ears have been open, too.

Thanks for the information. I am hoping to start a program next year (2009), but after reading the job prospects with a doctorate in English, I am a little discouraged. Hopefully researching the rankings will motivate me a little.

~palla

• 4 years later...

I'm afraid the general rankings are essentially useless for choosing between rhetoric and composition programs, and there isn't a subheading in rhet/comp in the US News rankings. Not that I take those rankings seriously even for what they do rank.

Edit: whoops didn't see how old the original query was.

Edited by ComeBackZinc

QS World University Rankings ranks by subject and does not omit Canadian universities:

http://www.topuniver...anities/english

Why is MIT on there before UT-Austin? When I checked MIT's website, they don't even have a master's or Ph.D program in English (or Literature, as their department is called)...

Why is MIT on there before UT-Austin? When I checked MIT's website, they don't even have a master's or Ph.D program in English (or Literature, as their department is called)...

Because this is not necessarily about graduate programs. Beware these kinds of lists (and most kinds).