Applications, oh my

history_PhD

I was just wondering how everyone else manages the application process? I've started filling them out finally. I have about four that are partially complete and three that I have not started yet. So, forumites, do you prefer to complete one online application at a time or do pieces of several? Also, how are you keeping the logins and passwords straight? Finally, are there any application questions that completely stump you? I have found a few that I am not sure how to answer, so it will be off to contact the appropriate authorities tomorrow. I'm glad I have taken the next few days off from work, let's just say! It's really hard to manage the applications, work, research and writing for my term paper, and other school activities! So, I guess I have a final question-- are you still in school and attempting to complete this application process at the same time?

I was just wondering how everyone else manages the application process? I've started filling them out finally. I have about four that are partially complete and three that I have not started yet. So, forumites, do you prefer to complete one online application at a time or do pieces of several? Also, how are you keeping the logins and passwords straight?

I'm just registering myself with each school's application server, and keeping login info in a (bloated and horribly disorganized) spreadsheet. I'll probably just do each application all at a time.

So, I guess I have a final question-- are you still in school and attempting to complete this application process at the same time?

Yeah, I feel ya.

Edited by waddle

I started all of my applications a few weeks back and spent a weekend completing all parts and loading up all of the documents I had prepared. I was worried about waiting too long and then realizing that certain documents were too large or that there were special formatting requirements. This happened with a few programs where they request larger margins at the top of uploaded documents to allow your applicant info to be printed...that took some time because I had to reformat my CV. As it stands now, once I finalize my SoP and writing sample I can upload and submit.

The other reason to do it is that some programs have extra opportunities for funding that I didn't find out about until I was going through the application. One school didn't say a word about a diversity scholarship on their department homepage, but in the application it's mentioned and you can upload a 500 word statement. Glad to know about that well in advance. Same is true for schools that might require narrative statements about language proficiency and/or a listing of relevant coursework, but fail to mention that explicitly on the website.

Oh, one other thing I ran into, programs (many more than I thought) that want hard copies of transcripts.

So, my vote is go through the applications now and get them as complete as you can so as to avoid any surprises. It's also a great way to spend a day if you've been feeling rather bruised and battered by the process...nothing like simple, achievable goals to boost your confidence in the midst of it all.

I feel like you have to halfway complete applications in order to submit your recommendations so that they can get that part done. It drives me crazy.

The schools that won't send out the recommendation emails to my professors until I submit my application are the ones driving me crazy! Why oh, why? I thought it was just one school that did that and it turns out to be 3 or 4 of my 9 apps! Grrrr! It moves up my whole SoP time table considerably.

I have been piecemeal filling in applications. When I finalized my list I opened an application at each school and went through to look for unique questions/documents that I would need to prepare for. When I couldn't stand to stare at my SoP any longer, I would go through and fill out the basic application info. At this point all I have left is to finalize my SoPs, create transcript documents (attempt 1: utter fail of humongous file... attempt 2 today I believe), and deal with a few extra questions. Oh and the personal history essay for Merced... seriously why?

I think my biggest struggle is to deal with my odd enrollment in the standard forms... I was an undergrad, graduated, continued on scholarship as a continuing undergrad for a summer and fall term, then was admitted to my MS program (at the same school). I decided to list the continuing undergrad as part of my undergraduate attendance, even though I was taking MS classes, because that is how my transcript is divided.

As for passwords, I have a spreadsheet that has the schools, their document requirements, dates, fees, GRE codes, and username/passwords all in one place for easy reference.

And yes, I am doing this while dealing with my Master's thesis, a graduate class and a TA-ship.... in the past few weeks I have seen my friends less and less...