Another "Chances" forum

So, I am a junior at The University of Georgia, I am double majoring in Philosophy and Women's Studies, I participate in the honors program, I have taken three graduate courses and received As in all three (I plan on taking at least three more before the application season next fall), and I am working on an undergraduate thesis within queer theory. I expect to apply to graduate school with an overall GPA of 3.8. I haven't taken the GRE yet.

I have two concerns, or areas of inquiry, rather:

1) I spent my first year of college at a small joke of a school; although I left with a 4.0, I am wondering if this will hurt me?

2) Do you believe that taking graduate courses would bolster my chances significantly? That is what I'm hoping for in taking them, obviously, hah! (Of course the experience is great, too).

I really want to shoot high-- Columbia (English PhD), Berkeley (PhD) Rhetoric, U Chicago (English Phd), NYU (Comp Lit or English PhD), or The New School (Philosophy PhD).

I feel like I'm dying as an undergrad right now with my load of classes. Am I being unrealistic or am I right on track?

PS: Writing this at 3 AM rather than working on a seminar paper...so just excuse run-ons, incoherency, etc. rolleyes.gif

Are your graduate classes in English? How many English classes have you taken in general? Are you thinking about a project that draws from your more substantial background in philosophy and woman's studies?

For your first question - no. They won't care.

For your second question - maybe. I'm not really sure, but they probably will if they're in English. For the schools you're looking at, remember that competition is particularly fierce and even with a perfect background (i.e. the "right" schools and high scores) admission is by no means guaranteed. You might have better luck applying to an English MA program first, then attempting a PhD (this may be a good idea for your sanity, also).

Which reminds me: don't rush through this. Don't underestimate the value of taking some time "off." This may bolster your chances (you might have more time to develop a project, for instance) but will also, again, save your sanity. Undergrad is difficult (especially with the full plate of courses you say you're taking now) and grad school is much more so. On the other hand, I completely understand your determination to push straight through :)

But it seems that, from what you've said, you're a strong candidate. Good luck next year!

So, I am a junior at The University of Georgia, I am double majoring in Philosophy and Women's Studies, I participate in the honors program, I have taken three graduate courses and received As in all three (I plan on taking at least three more before the application season next fall), and I am working on an undergraduate thesis within queer theory. I expect to apply to graduate school with an overall GPA of 3.8. I haven't taken the GRE yet.

I have two concerns, or areas of inquiry, rather:

1) I spent my first year of college at a small joke of a school; although I left with a 4.0, I am wondering if this will hurt me?

2) Do you believe that taking graduate courses would bolster my chances significantly? That is what I'm hoping for in taking them, obviously, hah! (Of course the experience is great, too).

I really want to shoot high-- Columbia (English PhD), Berkeley (PhD) Rhetoric, U Chicago (English Phd), NYU (Comp Lit or English PhD), or The New School (Philosophy PhD).

I feel like I'm dying as an undergrad right now with my load of classes. Am I being unrealistic or am I right on track?

PS: Writing this at 3 AM rather than working on a seminar paper...so just excuse run-ons, incoherency, etc. rolleyes.gif

I really can only answer based on my own experience. I don't go to any of the schools you're applying to but it's comparable.

1. No.

2. I doubt it will help significantly. I applied with only a BA and had only taken one graduate level course. Take them because you want to and focus on the statement and the sample. (Thankfully I just looked at Chumlee's post because I have those same questions about your coursework.)

This is just my humble opinion, but I am currently applying after taking a year off and I am so, so glad I decided to wait. I am seriously considered applying last year but couldn't handle the enormous amount of time required for the applications while trying to write a thesis and do well in my classes and enjoy my senior year. Obviously, do what you feel, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents, which is that it is so much easier and less stressful to apply the year after you graduate. I have been able to save some money, I am using my very thoroughly edited thesis as my writing sample so I don't have worry about that, I had time to study for and do well on the GREs, I had the summer to research schools and faculty members I wanted to work with, etc. Plus, I've just had some time to think about what it is I really want to study and where I really see myself living for the next several years. Last year I felt overwhelmed and underprepared, and this year I feel excited and certain that this is what I want to do. That is, of course, just my personal experience, but don't count out the possibility of taking a year away from school. It can be really helpful! Good luck with this process and with your senior year!

Thanks to all three of you for your replies. I've been mulling over your responses the past few days, which is why I'm replying a tad late.

The three graduate courses I have taken thus far have all been within Women's Studies, in which I am pursuing a graduate certificate in addition to my undergrad degrees.

Second, next semester, I will be taking a graduate English class, and it will be the first graduate course I will have taken in English.. I'm minoring in English, so I will have taken about four or five English classes total by the time I send in my applications next fall.

And I completely agree with all of you that there is a value in taking time off. I just lose my sanity a bit when I'm not actively researching/sharing in a structured environment-- deadlines and pressure make me feel pretty alive, I guess.

I also understand these programs are ridiculously competitive; I really wish I had known things I know now (duh, as we all do) when I started my undergrad-- I would've focused more on languages and majored in comparative literature and wmst. I am worried that people with entire BAs in English will be a lot more appealing; I'm also hoping, on the other hand, that committees look for diversity in undergraduate studies but a demonstrated ability to conduct literary research.

And to answer you Chumlee, yes. I am seeking to draw on my background in wmst and philosophy. Luckily, because I have been taken graduate seminars, I feel pretty confident in my "direction." It has forced me to critically examine my work and ask myself: "Why academia at all?" I have passing moments of crisis, "fraud syndrome," etc., but I feel that taking graduate courses has definitely instilled a level of reality that most undergrads don't have in terms of what "going to grad school" even means.

I love that you mentioned geography, papillon. This is extremely important to me. I would absolutely love living in a big city-- it seems coextensive, for me, with the "big move" that is graduate school. I've lived in small cities and and metro Atlanta (not a real city, at all) for far too long!