Good Sign? How Good?

Savant1984

I was put in touch with a prominent professor at a top-tier university department because he knew and has academic interest in the person whose work I want to do my thesis about. After getting my e-mail expressing interest, he said that it sounded interesting and suggested I come up to the university to visit and talk with him (and another professor who similarly knew him and was interested in his work.) I wrote back, cautiously saying that scheduling and financial considerations made it difficult to come, at the very least during the semester, but I reaffirmed my strong interest and suggest speaking by phone or Skype. I received a very curt e-mail in reply, reasserting that I should come speak to them in person, and suggested during winter break near the end of the year.

Curtness notwithstanding, I take it can't be a bad sign that I've been asked personally to come up and meet with these professors, but *how* good a sign is it? It really will be difficult to get up to this university to visit, and I don't want to go into it with a distorted view of things.

Thanks!

It's a good sign but it doesn't necessarily mean they will accept you. It's also good that there is a mutual acquaintance that recommended you to this prof. If you can, you should do the interview - it will help you as long as you are knowledgeable about your research interests and his as well as how they fit. Good luck!

You should see if they will offer you reimbursement and/or will schedule meetings for you with professors. When I was invited to schools, my travel and rooms were paid for or I was set up with a grad student.

It's worth a try, but schools don't usually pay for travel and lodging until after you've been accepted.

I was put in touch with a prominent professor at a top-tier university department because he knew and has academic interest in the person whose work I want to do my thesis about. After getting my e-mail expressing interest, he said that it sounded interesting and suggested I come up to the university to visit and talk with him (and another professor who similarly knew him and was interested in his work.) I wrote back, cautiously saying that scheduling and financial considerations made it difficult to come, at the very least during the semester, but I reaffirmed my strong interest and suggest speaking by phone or Skype. I received a very curt e-mail in reply, reasserting that I should come speak to them in person, and suggested during winter break near the end of the year.

Curtness notwithstanding, I take it can't be a bad sign that I've been asked personally to come up and meet with these professors, but *how* good a sign is it? It really will be difficult to get up to this university to visit, and I don't want to go into it with a distorted view of things.

Thanks!

It's best if you go - it doesn't necessarily mean or guarantee anything, but not going when you've specifically been asked will not help your chances. Many professors want you in person, so they can't do an informal interview of sorts. Also it SIGNIFICANTLY helps your chances (as I have been told my admissions committees) that you appear in person at any university you're considering attending - it puts a face with a name, and it shows your dedication to the program. If you can at all come up with the money and time do so- professors do not appreciate "scheduling difficulties" - they expect you to find time for the things that are important to you, even if its a slight bit unrealistic.

I agree with the above comment.

Professors will understand if you're still in school. But perhaps not so if you're not. So find a way.

I've found that there are professors who are not terrific with e-mails. They're curt. They don't give full answers. But it can all change once you've met them. I was in a communication with a prof at one of my top choices for several years. Her e-mails were always less than 2 sentences. ALWAYS. She always offered a coffee chat whenever I mentioned that I'd be in town. I finally met her in person a little while ago. She turned out to be an absolute delight. Since then she has written me more full e-mails, peppered with advice.

Sometimes professors don't want to dedicate time unless they're serious about the student who is serious about their school.

So, if you're totally serious about this place and you want more conversation, visit. No phone or Skype. Visit. Unless it's more than 1,000 miles away.

It's best if you go - it doesn't necessarily mean or guarantee anything, but not going when you've specifically been asked will not help your chances. Many professors want you in person, so they can't do an informal interview of sorts. Also it SIGNIFICANTLY helps your chances (as I have been told my admissions committees) that you appear in person at any university you're considering attending - it puts a face with a name, and it shows your dedication to the program. If you can at all come up with the money and time do so- professors do not appreciate "scheduling difficulties" - they expect you to find time for the things that are important to you, even if its a slight bit unrealistic.

so they CAN do an informal interview... and by admissions committees... it's finals week. can you tell? :)

I've been dealing with a similar issue. I've had invites to visit and sit in on seminars from almost all the professors I've contacted. However, I'm a father of two young boys and financial as well as time restraints make it near impossible for me to travel from NYC to, say, Virginia or Boston for a pre-admission visit. However, almost all of them also offered to talk over the phone in case I couldn't make it to their campuses. Nevertheless, my mentors made it clear that while visiting will not get you in automatically, it can help enormously and that I should do everything I can to try to get to at least the closer schools. Obviously, I want to give myself the best chance possible especially since many of the schools are top programs. Now, I just have to figure out how to pull it off...

Edited by natsteel