Another low AWA person

WhereWoolf

I'm applying to English programs at U of Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, and Yale (that's a stretch) for Fall 2011.

I just got my GRE scores back, and I too got an unexpectledy low AWA score:

790 Verbal

670 Quantitative

4 (!) AWA

My GRE in Literature score is 740.

Is this disastrous or just a bump in the road? I know the GRE isn't the only or even primary credential, but I'm a little shaken...

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Joe

If you have a strong SOP and writing sample, they probably won't look at that 4 twice, knowing the evaluation and prompts for the AW section are ridiculous. In other words, demonstrate solid grad school level writing and thinking to them and they will not care that you didn't write the overwrought 5 paragraph essay.

It is odd, though, given your other numbers (not to mention that you're in English)! My condolences :( Foolish GRE.

I'm applying to English programs at U of Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, and Yale (that's a stretch) for Fall 2011.

I just got my GRE scores back, and I too got an unexpectledy low AWA score:

790 Verbal

670 Quantitative

4 (!) AWA

My GRE in Literature score is 740.

Is this disastrous or just a bump in the road? I know the GRE isn't the only or even primary credential, but I'm a little shaken...

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Joe

They will not care. Not even a little bit.

They will care only a very little bit about your verbal score, which is obviously astronomical.

The program at Yale wants to graduate rockstar scholars, not good test-takers; no Lit professor would fall in love with your writing sample and ideas but take issue with your AW score. If you get rejected from those programs, it is because your writing sample and statement didn't make the cut, or because there is no one to advise you despite their (your) amazingness. So focus on those, and on fit.

Think about it this way: knowing the nature and conditions of the test, and then knowing the skills being a lit scholar requires, would you care?

Edited by sarandipidy