What is going on in Seattle?

I have heard smatterings of complaints about UW-Seattle's acceptance process and somebody just posted on the results page that they got a "two-three week wait" for the answer to their query. I got the same answer a couple weeks ago; I thought I would start a thread. How many of us are still waiting for a response from Udub (MA or PhD), and does anyone know if they do funding when they do acceptance? Or does anyone have anything else to say or complain about?

The ninnies on their adcom can't seem to organize themselves. They've been sending out notices for a month and a half, now, and they're still not through their stack of applications.

The stupid thing is that you are not evaluated in order of receipt, and when they're out of funding, they're out of funding. Thus, whoever is on the bottom of the pile when they're grabbing stacks of applications is S.O.L. if they already handed out the cash. You could be the best candidate, but tough titty since you didn't know well enough to bribe someone to place your file on top of the heap.

I finally just got my rejection from UCDavis. Same thing. Reviewing in stacks. Sending out acceptances, some in early Feb. Giving away all the money. When I queried the dept. they told me they would have all decisions out by Mar 15. I got notice late on the 17th. Said they were impressed with my qualifications but that they could only admit a small class. Grr.

OK. Back to Udub.

So, did anyone else get an e-mail like the one described on the results board. I'm assuming whoever that was e-mailed the department to ask. Really not sure why I'm even posting this, as I should be resigning myself to defeat and worrying about other things, but... you know.

I'm the one (I bet) whose post you read... I emailed them and they said I'd hear in the next 2 weeks (basically by the end of March).... I have heard from a number of folks that they're out of funding. For awhile I wondered if they just had some secretly-awesome way of evaluating apps, like dividing it by field (I'm Renaissance Lit) but no, it just sounds like they don't have their shit together. It's really frustrating-- because they know you have to notify by April 15th. And the out-of-funding thing is ridiculous, if it's just because you happened to be evaluated last. Doesn't make me have warm fuzzies about the program, like I did before...

Yes indeed, all of my warm fuzzies have been stamped into the dirt, even those from the few schools that have accepted me. As I have not heard about funding, and as I was under the mistaken impression that my first acceptance would clear all anxiety from my life, the dull throb of waiting and waiting, and then, waiting has stolen the color from my rainbow, the song from my lark, the lead from my pencil, and it is having a poor result in the bed...well. Needless to say though, Washington could give my mirth rebirth, if they wanted, conceding how unlikely such an event is. (Ren. lit. eh? I'm excited about Yeats. Do you know what about ren. lit. you are interested in focusing on, a particular facet or author, type of criticism etc...?)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps contacting the director of graduate studies would yield a better result? I was concerned because my online application states that the department did not receive any of my materials (although the "application complete" section indicates that my application was, in fact, complete and I emailed them about it in Dec.). Then, I thought maybe my file was on hold because I don't have a MA. But now, I think it's all just a crap shoot. I don't know whether tequila shots for my nerves or Pepto shots for my developing ulcers would be more appropriate.

I contacted them on Friday with an email saying, hi guys, I'm sure you know this but the deadline to notify schools of a decision is April 15th, and I still haven't heard about my status from you yet. If I'm not in, please let me know; if I am, I'm concerned I won't have enough time to ask questions about the program before making a decision. Can you update me? I got an email back from one of the grad secretaries saying the other was handling it and she'd find out; then, no word. It's pretty silly and definitely negatively affects my view of their program! Fortunately I got into my top choice so I had nothing to lose by emailing that. I wonder what their review process is. I had called, too, last week, to inquire if it is true all the funding had been handed out-- and I got a very strange non-answer. If it has been handed out, then I'm doubly curious as to their review process.

• 10 months later...

I am also still waiting on them. I emailed the secretary a while ago though, and she said that they would be handing out notices all through february and march. So I'm not sure if that is a positive thing or not! This choice was my top school, so I'm hoping that what everyone said in this thread isn't true. Fingers crossed :(