LOR supplemental information

2shieh

Hi Everyone,

Some of the schools that I'm applying to require the recommender to fill out a form for submission. The professor that I asked to write a letter says that it is logistically impossible for professors to fill out these forms and that grad schools will accept letters in lieu of the specific school's form. The undergrad institution I went to has a letter of rec system in partnership with Interfolio.com, and my professor has already uploaded his recommendation. When I submitted his letter through interfolio.com's web service, I got an email back from the website saying that 3 of the 4 universities that I submitted the recommendation do did not accept the recommendation because the form was not filled. Any suggestions how to handle this situation? I'm totally freaking out now!!!

Thank you!

2Shieh

Does anyone think that sending the letter of rec through snail mail would work? My professor has done this plenty of times since he is one of the most well respected professors at my alma mater-- should I just take his word for it?

Does anyone think that sending the letter of rec through snail mail would work? My professor has done this plenty of times since he is one of the most well respected professors at my alma mater-- should I just take his word for it?

I would carefully look at the admissions websites of your departments/schools that you are applying to. I know that one of my schools in particular only wants online submissions (they say it like 80 times all over the place that that is all they accept) but that there are others that give an option (often with a preference for online but an option is an option) while one only wants paper. The information on what is acceptable is usually there on the websites, but if they don't explicitly say that paper LORs are prohibited and don't say they are allowed, I would email to ask.

The professor that I asked to write a letter says that it is logistically impossible for professors to fill out these forms and that grad schools will accept letters in lieu of the specific school's form.

Why is it impossible? Does he mean that he hasn't got time to do that? As far as I know, these forms can be filled out quite quickly (there was a thread somewhere on this forum about that just last week or so). Tell him that it is absolutely necessary for him to fill out this form (otherwise you won't be able to submit his recommendation) and that it will take him just a couple of minutes. It will be more convenient for you and for universities if he does that.

Edited by Strangefox

I'm not sure why my professor doesn't fill out these forms... he told me that of all the letters of recommendation he has written, he never has. But in any case, all schools that I'm applying to (Environmental Policy and Management programs) offer the option of postal mail or an online submission. I just got off the graduate advisor for UCSB admissions and she said that postal mail was fine as long as the the postal code went directly to their admissions office.

... I really can't wait till spring. Thanks for the advice!

I'm not sure why my professor doesn't fill out these forms... he told me that of all the letters of recommendation he has written, he never has. But in any case, all schools that I'm applying to (Environmental Policy and Management programs) offer the option of postal mail or an online submission. I just got off the graduate advisor for UCSB admissions and she said that postal mail was fine as long as the the postal code went directly to their admissions office.

... I really can't wait till spring. Thanks for the advice!

some profs have this attitude... not necessarily a bad thing, but can hurt students' application/admission process. if i were you, i'd print the forms and show them to the prof. then he'd see that the forms are actually different from each other. also, each form should have the school/dept's name printed on the top... i don't see how any grad program would accept a generic form that lacks their letterhead. tell him that. or maybe he's despises filling out the forms online. provide him the form printouts, and stamped + pre-addressed envelopes, and ask him to snail-mail the letters.