Asian Studies 2011

IMN22

Hello~

I haven't heard a peep from any of the grad schools I applied to. In the meantime, I've been trying to brush up on my Japanese...I have a bunch of kanji flashcards and grammar review books. It's been a while since I've been in a Japanese class, so I've forgotten some of the kanji! :o

I find that just reading is a better way to keep my kanji level up. Reading books, reading novels, reading online. But that's just me.

Maybe proficiency tests are good too...? There's always the kanji kentei, and if you have a Nintendo DS you can get a lot of kanji practice programs for it.

I still have one TA application (maybe two, meh) and two FLAS applications left to submit. Very late deadlines for those!

I wish there was more to say in this thread. Has anyone been contacted by the programs, aside from acceptances/rejections? I don't know of any schools that do interviews, but some do "conversations"...

Only one I heard from was UIllinois, but that was because I emailed the department asking questions. One of the profs emailed me back, and I actually met him for coffee in Tokyo last month. We're not in the hard sciences, so strict interviews don't really happen.

If anyone else applied to UAlberta, I heard from my potential advisor today that they're going through the apps now, and it looks like they'll be a really strong group of students for next year. They're also working hard to get funding for everyone. I hope the other schools we're applying to are just as industrious!

Maybe proficiency tests are good too...? There's always the kanji kentei, and if you have a Nintendo DS you can get a lot of kanji practice programs for it.

Yeah, I find I never study quite as hard as when there's a JLPT on the horizon. There's quite a few study guides for that test that I've found very effective for improving my kanji and reading ability. Anyone have a series of textbooks they really like? I'm not sure if it's available outside of Japan, but I've been using "Nihongo So-Matome" (日本語総まとめ). They have books for grammar, vocab, and kanji for all JLPT levels. The texts are divided into week long units with daily sections... It's keeping me distracted while I wait!

I still have one TA application (maybe two, meh) and two FLAS applications left to submit. Very late deadlines for those!

OK, amature question: Are you contacting the departments you've applied to about FLAS or are they hitting you over the head with it? I've had one school contact me to remind me to fill out a separate application and another volunteer they'll automatically apply for me, but the rest...

Are you contacting the departments you've applied to about FLAS or are they hitting you over the head with it? I've had one school contact me to remind me to fill out a separate application and another volunteer they'll automatically apply for me, but the rest...

I overlap with you on three schools--maybe not programs, since you have "studies" listed. One of those contacted me to remind me to apply for the FLAS and two were silent on the matter, but I had already completed the FLAS applications for all three of my own accord. In any case, I doubt I will win any FLAS awards because I was honest and listed "higher education" as my career goal.

Contacting the departments, hmm. I pretty much stopped once I submitted my applications, since it's not considered very good form to press things after that. Unfortunately, left things in a bit of an awkward spot with a professor from at least one school; I hope he'll understand, but my chances at getting in there probably weren't very good anyway.

I finished the JLPTs a while back (went 3 for 3, but haven't taken the new format). I find the kanji kentei tests to be more challenging, if also more esoteric. Studying kanji is a good way to clear my mind.

Duke and one other school were proactive in contacting me about the FLAS fellowship. Out of the 9 schools I am applying to, three make the FLAS application really easy for prospective students (i.e. forwarding materials from the original application so you don't have to hassle your recommenders to fill out that 100th form).

Yeah, I find I never study quite as hard as when there's a JLPT on the horizon. There's quite a few study guides for that test that I've found very effective for improving my kanji and reading ability. Anyone have a series of textbooks they really like? I'm not sure if it's available outside of Japan, but I've been using "Nihongo So-Matome" (日本語総まとめ). They have books for grammar, vocab, and kanji for all JLPT levels. The texts are divided into week long units with daily sections... It's keeping me distracted while I wait!

OK, amature question: Are you contacting the departments you've applied to about FLAS or are they hitting you over the head with it? I've had one school contact me to remind me to fill out a separate application and another volunteer they'll automatically apply for me, but the rest...

Edited by IMN22

IU Bloomington seemed really proactive about the FLAS application, but I haven't heard anything from the other schools I've applied to. I only applied to four schools, though. I didn't know it was so difficult to get into graduate school until AFTER I submitted all of my applications! Oh well, there's always next year, right?

Anyway, for the JLPT, I use the 完全マスター series. I think it is for the old format of the JLPT, but I think they are good study guides. I wish I could just automatically remember the 2000 or so kanji that are considered essential for understanding most Japanese literature, but some just fall out of my head if I don't see them very often. Does anyone else "make up" pronunciations of kanji if they know the meaning of a word but not the pronunciation? I do it all the time! :P Then, when I try to say some of the words....Let's just say that I am much better at reading Japanese than speaking it.

Do we have to fill out a special application for TA positions? I didn't see any on the grad school apps that I filled out, but maybe I missed something...

I wonder if we'll find out by phone or email if we've been accepted. I get nervous every time my phone rings!

Does anyone else "make up" pronunciations of kanji if they know the meaning of a word but not the pronunciation? I do it all the time! :P Then, when I try to say some of the words....Let's just say that I am much better at reading Japanese than speaking it.

I'm just starting to learn Japanese but am fairly competent in Chinese (I'm in Chinese history, so that makes sense). That means I recognize most Kanji, even if they have a somewhat different meaning than I'm used to, but fairly often have no idea how to pronounce them. So, of course, I substitute the Chinese pronunciation in my head, which isn't exactly the same as making up the pronunciation, but is probably just as baffling to a normal Japanese speaker.

IU Bloomington seemed really proactive about the FLAS application, but I haven't heard anything from the other schools I've applied to. I only applied to four schools, though....

Do we have to fill out a special application for TA positions? I didn't see any on the grad school apps that I filled out, but maybe I missed something...

I wonder if we'll find out by phone or email if we've been accepted. I get nervous every time my phone rings!

It totally depends on the school. Last year the first time I heard from Chicago and Yale was when I got their decisions (consolation prize and rejection, by e-mail and by post). Chicago wasn't eligible for FLAS in East Asian languages this year according to their website. And some schools don't let first-year students take TA positions--which makes sense to me. But all of the TA apps I've filled out were separate from the grad apps.

Just got a very nice e-mail from my POI informing me that I've been waitlisted for Yale's EALL Ph.D., and that four spots have been offered out of 87 applicants. I'm thrilled about this, and it's nice to hear back so early! (But the waiting is even harder when you're on a waitlist! Agh.) The official e-mails should be going out soon.

Edited by yatto

Just got a very nice e-mail from my POI informing me that I've been waitlisted for Yale's EALL Ph.D., and that four spots have been offered out of 84 applicants. I'm thrilled about this, and it's nice to hear back so early! (But the waiting is even harder when you're on a waitlist! Agh.) The official e-mails should be going out soon.

I was on a waitlist last year until around April 10 before I got my final result, so I'm really hoping to avoid that this year. :(

But waitlist at Yale, nice. If nothing else, that should mean you're likely to get in at other schools, right?

Hi Kyjin!

You heard from Yale already? Wow, I haven't heard anything from them. It's great that they are considering you for the MA program! Congrats! :D

Yep. I actually applied to the History program there. Received a very nice email from one of the professors in the department, talking to me about the East Asian Studies MA. They're sending my application over there since they don't have room for me in the PhD. The biggest deterrent for me for the MA is that I probably won't get funding, but it certainly makes me feel better than out-right rejection. Hopefully I'll get an official notification from them soon.

Yep. I actually applied to the History program there. Received a very nice email from one of the professors in the department, talking to me about the East Asian Studies MA. They're sending my application over there since they don't have room for me in the PhD. The biggest deterrent for me for the MA is that I probably won't get funding, but it certainly makes me feel better than out-right rejection. Hopefully I'll get an official notification from them soon.

I'm so happy for you! That is great news! You may get funding for the masters, but even if you don't, it's still an honor to be considered for Yale's MA program. I hope more good news is on the way! :)

I'm so happy for you! That is great news! You may get funding for the masters, but even if you don't, it's still an honor to be considered for Yale's MA program. I hope more good news is on the way! :)

Thank you! :D I hope good news is on the way for you too!

Just saw on the results page that Harvard and Stanford might not be out till March. Hope the rest of the results come out sooner! *crosses fingers*

Just saw on the results page that Harvard and Stanford might not be out till March. Hope the rest of the results come out sooner! *crosses fingers*

Those were both for MA applicants - I think those decision are usually later because some rejected PhD applicants will be transferred into the MA pile. So PhD results are likely to come before that.

Even though I want all of the results early, I have a feeling that many of us are in for a long wait....I know I wouldn't mind being offered a position in the MA program if I'm rejected for the PhD!

The Illinios was me. My POI called me. Apparently they have submitted their recs, but I didn't get the sense that they were done notifying at all . . .it was just a phone call to tell me my status and to talk about the univ. fellowship.

Looks like the Illinois results have started to come out.

I didn't apply there myself, although I thought about contacting one of the professors there.

The DGS at Indiana University asked me to fill out a fellowship application! :blink: Although they think I have a strong application, I haven't been admitted because the adcomm hasn't reviewed my application yet. Anyway, at least I heard back from one of the grad schools! I'm still anxiously awaiting news from the University of Chicago and Yale.

From what I see on the results board, I think we're all gonna hear from Yale pretty soon. Unfortunately for me, though, I don't think it's gonna be good news...

Anyway, Congrats to everyone who has been admitted to grad programs! We all have to keep our hopes up as we wait (impatiently!) for all of the results to come out.

Congrats! :D This is excellent news! And don't give up on Yale yet, you never know!

I keep wanting to check my email multiple times a day to see if I get any notice, but then I remember that I'm on a near-opposite time zone, so that's not going to happen. I hope we hear more news soon!

I keep wanting to check my email multiple times a day to see if I get any notice, but then I remember that I'm on a near-opposite time zone, so that's not going to happen. I hope we hear more news soon!

I've been half hoping I'll get a phone call in the middle of the night....

I've been half hoping I'll get a phone call in the middle of the night....

Man, that would be awesome. I got a phone call when I was admitted to my undergrad and it was amazing. I'd totally wake up in the middle of the night for that.

Man, that would be awesome. I got a phone call when I was admitted to my undergrad and it was amazing. I'd totally wake up in the middle of the night for that.

I wouldn't mind a phone call, but honestly, I'd take good news anyway I can get it! :)

So it's officially February now....I hope the results will be out soon!