How Important is Geographic Interest Area?

mutualist007

I am bummed because I am in danger of missing the deadline for GRE scores, BUT I think the misfortune may actually help me. It could delay my decision and help me rethink strategy retake GRE and score higher, and maybe get a masters and more research experience so that I have a more total package to offer when I apply. I know that most programs don't require a masters, but many of the current grad students admitted have them and beyond taking extra time, it can't hurt. Just depends on how much is allowed to transfer. Anyway my question is about the importance of geographic interest areas for "fit".

How important is geographic reference?

Is it more important than the actual methodology?

I ended up finding another place to apply to which has a better fit in regards to an aspect of my research interests and in particular archaeology in the old world.

What is more important?:

finding the right lab,

the right adviser methodology,

a geographic specialty (like SUNY's) albeit with cobbled adcom for my fusion research interests.

I need a com that includes bioarchaeology strong in osteology, archaeology of complex societies, and economic and or political anth.

.. How important is geographic reference?

Is it more important than the actual methodology? ..

indeed, go for a masters if you can. i very strongly suggest it. not only you'll accumulate more knowledge and experience and thereby strengthening your app the next year, you'll also have plenty of downtime to think about what exactly you want to do with your life.

as for importance of things, i'd put the right advisor/lab/project first than anything else. maybe this doesn't apply to other fields. it all depends on how you want to sort things out in the future.

I am bummed because I am in danger of missing the deadline for GRE scores, BUT I think the misfortune may actually help me. It could delay my decision and help me rethink strategy retake GRE and score higher, and maybe get a masters and more research experience so that I have a more total package to offer when I apply. I know that most programs don't require a masters, but many of the current grad students admitted have them and beyond taking extra time, it can't hurt. Just depends on how much is allowed to transfer. Anyway my question is about the importance of geographic interest areas for "fit".

How important is geographic reference?

Is it more important than the actual methodology?

I ended up finding another place to apply to which has a better fit in regards to an aspect of my research interests and in particular archaeology in the old world.

What is more important?:

finding the right lab,

the right adviser methodology,

a geographic specialty (like SUNY's) albeit with cobbled adcom for my fusion research interests.

I need a com that includes bioarchaeology strong in osteology, archaeology of complex societies, and economic and or political anth.

My understanding is geographic location isn't THAT important, unless you're talking archaeology - and then it can be because of how archaeology works/how specialized it can be.

Finding the right advisor - who has the right connections (ie even if they dont work in your area of interest, they know people who do) is the most important thing by far. Advisors rule your world in grad school - a lab and a place are only as great as the person who's helping you get access to them.

• 2 months later...

I suspect that (in archaeology) knowing a lot about your geographic area of interest is less important than HAVING a geographic area of interest. I was really vague in my first application season about where I wanted to work and that lack of specification was a very weak point in my application, that time around.

Getting your master's, perhaps at a program that is not the most difficult to get into, when you know you are PhD bound is like going to a community college after high school. It can bring benefits, but it is one huge risk when it comes to getting back in the game for Ph.D. programs - especially in regards to maintaining strong professional contacts. Hope things have worked themselves out for you by now, re: your GRE and such.